newsbot | Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2005
Well, it happened again. Nokia USA is [LINK:
http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/nonactivated_select_carrier/1,1891,phonecode:770,00.html]
now showing in their website that orders of the Nokia 770 will not be
fulfilled until January 2006!

Nokia previously announced that the Nokia 770 will be available by the
[LINK: /content/view/71/44/] end of the 3rd quarter, then by [LINK:
/content/view/133/2/] November 10, then [LINK: /content/view/138/2/]
November 17, then [LINK: /blog/?p=164] December 14, and now January 31,
2006. Currently, [LINK: /content/view/136/2/] only a few consumers have
received their Nokia 770, and most of them are from [LINK:
/content/view/132/2/] Europe....
Read the full article.

Good God!!

Must Nokia *always* follow my lead?! I'd already said I didn't expect to have my own until January 2006 -- so now they've delayed the ENTIRE RUN just to please me!

Those Finns are such pals!

(Ducking all the shotguns aimed at me by my fellow Nokia-rabid Americans...)

edited to add --

Seeing some of the rough spots people are reporting, I'm all in favor of this latest delay. Let Nokia Get It Right before setting it loose to millions.

Anyway, what competition do they have? WinCE? Ha! PPC? *snort*! PALM?! ROTFLMAO. They have NONE.

OTOH, what might Apple spring in January, eh, eh?

Last edited by Mike Cane; 2005-11-23 at 15:25.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Brussels
I am not surprised. I have one and have difficulties with the browser, it gets slow after a while. I can't say why but some websites also give the browser a hard time and it even stalls. After a few weeks of using it - I would like the same tool but double the size of the screen. Kind of A5 size. It is an Internettablet, so I want to use it to browse all the online applications. Palm applications are designed for a small window, websites are not (yet).
But that's the price you pay as an early adapter..... ;-)

Originally Posted by Mike Cane

OTOH, what might Apple spring in January, eh, eh?
Rumors about Apple taking another go at the handheld market have been around since the downfall of the Newton. The difference this time is that they've created a whole new market segment for themselves. If they can roll out a device that supports multimedia while being a handheld web tablet, they could really blow open that niche.

PDAs still struglle to find serious use beyond business clients and, these days, convergence is becoming more popular as a way to cut costs. RIM's success has shown that while a device may not be a master of individual functionality, a good combination of features into one device has a place in the market. Given that, I don't necessarily think that Apple would go the strict PDA route.

A full blown tablet also seems unlikely given the struggles that form factor has had. Consumers just aren't seeing the necessity of a tablet over a small notebook. Some have suggested, and I agree, that the lack of very desirable or must have tablet based software is also a culprit. Apple could do a lot ot change this, but their focus these days is on consumers and their multimedia interests vs. corporate customers and business needs.

It might work it's way out of the pocketable category (although many people wouldn't consider the 770 and most PDAs in general "pocketable" like most cell phones are) but could be a huge success nonetheless. Full web-browsing capabilities (although some folks have more than a few gripes about Safari), music and video playback, photo viewing, and perhaps even some basic functionality from other apps. Package it up in a the usual Apple slick exterior and you could have yourself a real winner.

Sounds like the 770, right? Do yourself a favor Nokia, get it out there en masse before Jobs comes along and steals your thunder.

Jeff

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
Rumors about Apple taking another go at the handheld market have been around since the downfall of the Newton. The difference this time is that they've created a whole new market segment for themselves. If they can roll out a device that supports multimedia while being a handheld web tablet, they could really blow open that niche.

PDAs still struglle to find serious use beyond business clients and, these days, convergence is becoming more popular as a way to cut costs. RIM's success has shown that while a device may not be a master of individual functionality, a good combination of features into one device has a place in the market. Given that, I don't necessarily think that Apple would go the strict PDA route.

A full blown tablet also seems unlikely given the struggles that form factor has had. Consumers just aren't seeing the necessity of a tablet over a small notebook. Some have suggested, and I agree, that the lack of very desirable or must have tablet based software is also a culprit. Apple could do a lot ot change this, but their focus these days is on consumers and their multimedia interests vs. corporate customers and business needs.

It might work it's way out of the pocketable category (although many people wouldn't consider the 770 and most PDAs in general "pocketable" like most cell phones are) but could be a huge success nonetheless. Full web-browsing capabilities (although some folks have more than a few gripes about Safari), music and video playback, photo viewing, and perhaps even some basic functionality from other apps. Package it up in a the usual Apple slick exterior and you could have yourself a real winner.

Sounds like the 770, right? Do yourself a favor Nokia, get it out there en masse before Jobs comes along and steals your thunder.

Jeff
Well Folks, you don't think Apple isn't watching this situation...think again....

I would like to see a widescreen 7" screen iPod with wifi/bt web browsing!

Just watch. There is consumer niche for something other than the iBook.

Originally Posted by TripleNickle
I would like to see a widescreen 7" screen iPod with wifi/bt web browsing!
It won't succeed if it's not pocketable?

Originally Posted by Reggie
With Apple's red hot success and consumer interest at the moment, it would probably succeed either way. Although, if they could make it pocketable - tough reach a compromise between adequate screen size and overall form factor - it would probably sell better.

Jeff

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I believe Apple will offer to market yet another device closely resembling a feminine hygeine product, to which the legions of sheep covetting the overpriced units will respond to the question "what's so good about it?" with "It's the design. DESIGN. The DESIGN."

I hear the iPOD Nano can absorb 40ml more of blue liquid than the previous iPOD. That's impressive.

Originally Posted by Reggie
Pocketable is nice but you cant have everything. A bigger screen (more than 4 inches is desired by many, a step down from an iBook) but it doesnt have to fit in a shirt pocket. Briefcaseable, pocketbookable (for the ladies), and other "ables" will make it work.

If Apple can create a networking device with a 800-pixel wide screen, safari, mail, iTunes, iChat, and widgets, then it'll be a hit!