Notices

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
Looks like VLC Player one of the world's most popular video players is officially coming to Maemo 5!
Looks like VLC Player one of the world's most crappiest video players is officially coming to Maemo 5!

Thank god we have MPlayer or else I'd be stuck with that or the default one.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
The nice thing about VLC is it contains codecs in the app. I find sometimes VLC works on files others do not. MKV support is also nice and the app has an audio EQ.
I love this solution, lets put all the codecs and EQ in the applications themselves instead of in Gstreamer or PulseAudio. This way, only our application can use it. Mine!! My presjus!!

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
True for allnameswereout and other GNOME purists.
True if you care about some kind of uniformity on your desktop.

What basis do we have to say it works great? How do we know this is true? How does it compare to VLC, for example?
Because it is the default player in GNOME, and together with GStreamer plays almost all formats.

I am a GNOME purist and therefore do not use Qt apps.
...and Maemo cares for HIG. Even on Maemo 6 the UI would need work.

VLC is a Qt app and therefor is is useless to me.
BS, I said codecs should be provided in an abstraction layer such as GStreamer.

Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
then am sure you dont also use virtualbox and skype? beside if its integration you with gnome you seek, then you statement is very misleading because qt actually integrate very well with gnome, so much so that its hard to tell a qt app from gnome (since there use native gtk widgets) so get your facts straight dude. and stop spreading fud
I have Skype on my S60 phone, in an application called Nimbuzz. It conforms to S60 HIG. Ofcourse, Skype would want me to use their application, and ICQ would want that too, and WLM too...

Now, VLC, OTOH, looks fugly by default in a non-Qt-based desktop on *NIX. How do I fix that? It looks fine on OSX and Windows.

[EDIT]Since it has no GUI backend on Maemo the UI argument is moot in Maemo context. Hopefully will remain this way, and the other arguments still stand.[/EDIT]

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-10-31 at 11:43.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
what is up with the vlc hate? Nobody's forcing anyone to use vlc so stop complaining. Options are good. If vlc is fugly I'd use vlc as a backup player, if I come across stuff that doesn't work properly with whatever player I prefer. I have yet to come across a media player on any system that does everything right.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2009-10-31 at 11:30. Reason: stupid T9

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Actually, VCL is actually kinda good in the same sense as Internet Explorer on Windows computers. If you fsck something up, it's there for you as the last resort.

Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Looks like VLC Player one of the world's most crappiest video players is officially coming to Maemo 5!

Thank god we have MPlayer or else I'd be stuck with that or the default one.
This is your opinion. But no matter what everyone believes, I really can't see where the problem is? 1, 2, 10 media players what is the problem? The more choices we have the better. If you do not care about VLC ignore the application, ignore this thread and thats about it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nMIK-3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i love VLC can't wait to see finished app

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I'm picking up on something. For one thing, I understand wanting a uniform UI style on a desktop, but Maemo has the ability to allow apps to have their own UI, so why VLC is Qt derived, other than that, it is still a good media player. Qt is the future of Maemo, Symbian, and probably the entire mobile industry, much like Java has been for mobiles.

I'm a techie from a Windows perspective, and VLC is a staple for Windows users. Even on Linux Mint, I prefer VLC's "plays everything" performance to Mplayer and others. But I never knew it had its codecs built in, or that they weren't shared. That's good info, and does a lot more in telling me why you don't like it, and I agree, now.

You guys have to remember we're not as sharp as you guys in alot of technical aspects. Don't always blast some tech without reason. Tell us why you feel that way.

Now can you tell me how I can get Mplayer on Linux to play all of the codecs, like dv-rms files? I have to have VLC for this, since I don't know of another solution. I'm all for VLC landing here. They'll be the Coreplayer of Maemo if so. I just want a media player that works, and if it doesn't, it should find the proper codec, download it, and fix itself. For some reason, I don't see that today, so VLC is the best for me and most users that want it to "just work".

I love having choice. I'd like 100 different media players! But what could be done to make the gstreamer/Mplayer setup, which I now understand is a better setup architecturally than VLC, work as I propose? Because if it isn't easy and simple to use, most won't find it "better".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Summary of things about VLC and its built in codecs:

1. Files that do not work with OS codecs may work with this
2. If you run into media related OS issues, VLC provides a nice point for function reference.
3. Nice back up
4. More choice

Disclaimer: This assumes VLC performs well.

VLC is also good at streaming.

Here in France (home of VLC :-) one of the main Internet providers (Free) uses set-top boxes to stream television over DSL. With VLC you can connect to your local box and watch/record TV on your PC. Maybe the N900 is powerful enough to act as a mobile streaming TV too ?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Wow! I didn't know you can capture streams with VLC. I'm looking to do just that with my TV tuner card. Any help setting it up? I'd like to have a way of using XMBC but recording from my DVR into the PC via some other solution.

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard