Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Anyone think that taking buy.com up on its low price is not worth the risk, in light of the fact that tablets from buy.com are the only ones (reported to be) suffering the "on/off enigma"?

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
WOW. Someone got reamed out.

N800 price as of 12/19/07 12:15PM EST (USA) is back up to $253 at buy.com

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...53&dcaid=17653

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Wow is right.

"back up to $253 at buy.com"

Supply and demand dynamics at work...I was going to bite last month at $199 - and then they ramped it back up again that same afternoon. I wound up paying more for a real "beater" off of ebay.

"Looks like the iPhone and eeePC have finally vanquished the Internet Tablets. "

Huh?!?

Last edited by lad; 2007-12-19 at 18:22.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
UPDATE- 12:35PM EST ( USA ) buy.com shows item is no longer available. Please don't interpret that to mean the N800 is discontinued. BUY.COM has no more available as of right now. (choosing the correct words is so tedious).

That was quite weird. The price was $228 yesterday, $179 free shipping today, and within a very short period switched to $253.14. I can't help but think that someone made an error on the website dropping the price to $179. If BUY.COM wanted to sell a boat-load of these today, they would not have raised the price from $179 to $250ish like that. They would have set the price, moved a large quantity of them until they sold out. This price jump was very weird IMO.

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2007-12-19 at 17:49.

Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
Anyone think that taking buy.com up on its low price is not worth the risk, in light of the fact that tablets from buy.com are the only ones (reported to be) suffering the "on/off enigma"?
Maybe they've just sold (many) more units than anyone else.

I agree with xxM5xx. The higher prices now are from other retailers (ie $259.99 at J&R.com and $244 at Ritz). Buy.com is sold out. I'm mostly amazed that I managed to snag one. I'm not that lucky

I think it is normal market forces at work. It's nearing xmas, and Buy.com had a load to move.
<$200 is the tripping point in many potential buyer's minds, and so many pulled the trigger that they had to jack the price back up to balance out the demand (until more ship).
Contrary to what some other's say, I don't think the IT form is "vanquished" - certainly not at around $200. It's a nice, middle fit between the iPhone and the eee. Nobody I showed it to ever heard of it, and they were all impressed. I think the lower prices, and the upgrade-fever eBay sales of the earlier model(s) has dramatically increased the general awareness and user base for these.
If Nokia polished up these things out-of-the-box, and really promoted video-calling features, the IT form will be around for awhile longer.

I almost purchased last night but fell asleep. Woke up this morning it was $179 and found $10 off on web. Can't wait to join you N800 guys. Already modded the hell out of my iPhone. With Apple's permission of course.

thank you, Summicron! i ordered mine this morning.

i thought about it too long when it was $199USD at Buy.com, then it jumped back to $228. this $179 w/free shipping made me pry open my wallet in a hurry :-)