Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
About 6 months to go!
How realistic do you think that is, really? And what are you expecting to be ready when they ship it, functional hardware and not much on the software side?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
How realistic do you think that is, really? And what are you expecting to be ready when they ship it, functional hardware and not much on the software side?
That's a good question that I've been concerned about for a while. Currently hoping for best but planning for worse. Don't expect a lot of apps but hope for basic functionality and ability to run other Linux OS on it. The rest is gravy!

Last edited by mscion; 2018-10-17 at 22:45.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
And what are you expecting to be ready when they ship it, functional hardware and not much on the software side?
For me, one of the big hopes is a fully-functional matrix client (specifically Fractal) from the start. The signs are good: http://danigm.net/fractal-hackfest2.html (note the links to Matrix and Purism near the end), and both Purism and Matrix have stated elsewhere that they are committed to this.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
It is possible to buy an I.MX8 dev board to start learning. from wandboard

https://www.wandboard.org/products/p...M-DEV-EXTREME/

Or from NXP
https://www.nxp.com/part/MCIMX8M-EVK

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Nice to see a new post and a important progress report from Librem.

But what I don't get is why on earth do they decide to use latest kernel when test the HW?

I am pretty sure they had save some time use the "default" iMX kernel when test screen/touch an so on. That way they could faster verify hardware and ship the devkit faster and then the community could help port it the driver to the latest kernel version.

I doubt we will see the devkit before end of 2018. Probably we have to wait to Q1.

I am 100% sure they work as crazy to make it happen but since I also work with HW I know how much that can go wrong and make stuff delayed...

But nice to see that they use http://kicad-pcb.org/ and will release the design too the Linux community

But using KiCad is also a bit of risky since they really have to make sure all footprints(kind of mecanicals parts) is correct. Some components in the Kicad default library is not...

But in the same time it could be worth it in the long run since the more company project designed in KiCad the better quality of the KiCad libraries and also better for hobbyist and small companies because they could hopefully throw Windows only program such as OrCad and Altium in the trashcan.

https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-2018-11-hardware-report/

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2018-11-09 at 19:51.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
i have literally never seen someone complain about a hardware vendor going with too RECENT a linux kernel..

i get your point tho, just saying that its a perspective ive never seen before

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Usually there is big work to go next kernel , starting with the latest is good , although there is an addional " cost" , but it will pay back later.
Too many times products has been built with defacto kernel of time whic is actuallu already aged and when product is finally released, it's outdated.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
The issue they have is to test hardware is working not test latest kernel now they do Both EG test unstsble/not ready driver in top of unstable hw. Now that not end user stuff. Its VERY lowleveö testomg now that is probably beter done with a know kernel IMHO.

Linux on embedded is VERY different from a home intel PC

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Considering they've selected hardware specifically for mainline kernel support (no hacked together modules with custom requirements) , I can all but guarantee purism will use a recent kernel... in the 4.10 range. That is the entire point, after all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
The dev kits are being shipped now. Using i.MX 8M boards instead of i.MX 6 which is good.

Hopefully it will be developers with hardware before ends this year or to next month.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post: