Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Hi fellow sufferers!

Today HP announced: WebOS is going open source!

Personally I like this kind of news. But what will happen now to WebOS in the future?
In my opinion the Operation System was not the problem why it failed to date. The problem was for me mostly the lack of proper mobile hardware.

What do you think?

And where are now the differences compared to our Mer/Nemo project? We are able to develop for WebOS in Qt, too. Or not?

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
WebOS doesn't use Qt, it uses JS+CSS+HTML.

I would like to see WebOS ported to the N900 though, just to make the people over at Precentral cringe, I guess.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Spain
I remember something (maybe I'm wrong here) about Flash for the N900 and WebOS' flash. I don't really know if it's even possible.

Anyway, good news for open source communities.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpala16 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by jpala16 View Post
I remember something (maybe I'm wrong here) about Flash for the N900 and WebOS' flash. I don't really know if it's even possible.

Anyway, good news for open source communities.
libflashplayer.so is not open source no matter what the platform.

Although, if you're talking about making Preenv Mojo/Enyo native to Maemo (think of it like this: installing libmojo just like you'd install Qt libraries), then that would be something to talk about.

Lets just hope that HP are willing to approach manufactures and offer them the opportunity to build devices for WebOS, and not just leave it to slowly die like so many other open source initiatives.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Lets just hope that HP are willing to approach manufactures and offer them the opportunity to build devices for WebOS, and not just leave it to slowly die like so many other open source initiatives.
I fear this will end up to be the outcome.

Still negativity aside it's great to see one of the best looking mobile OS's ever being turned open source. Though what i did read about this, there still seems to be some confusion on what parts will exactly be open source.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
@OP: Include the press release.

On a side note, can we send HP a cake with the Maemo.org logo on it, with the caption "WE WERE HERE FIRST, *****ES!"
“webOS is the only platform designed from the ground up to be mobile, cloud-connected and scalable”

HP to Contribute webOS to Open Source

HP to enable creativity of the community to accelerate the next-generation web-centric platform

PALO ALTO, Calif., Dec. 9, 2011 – HP today announced it will contribute the webOS software to the open source community.

HP plans to continue to be active in the development and support of webOS. By combining the innovative webOS platform with the development power of the open source community, there is the opportunity to significantly improve applications and web services for the next generation of devices.

webOS offers a number of benefits to the entire ecosystem of web applications. For developers, applications can be easily built using standard web technologies. In addition, its single integrated stack offers multiplatform portability. For device manufacturers, it provides a single web-centric platform to run across multiple devices. As a result, the end user benefits from a fast, immersive user experience.

“webOS is the only platform designed from the ground up to be mobile, cloud-connected and scalable,” said Meg Whitman, HP president and chief executive officer. “By contributing this innovation, HP unleashes the creativity of the open source community to advance a new generation of applications and devices.”

HP will make the underlying code of webOS available under an open source license. Developers, partners, HP engineers and other hardware manufacturers can deliver ongoing enhancements and new versions into the marketplace.

HP will engage the open source community to help define the charter of the open source project under a set of operating principles:

• The goal of the project is to accelerate the open development of the webOS platform
  • HP will be an active participant and investor in the project
  • Good, transparent and inclusive governance to avoid fragmentation
  • Software will be provided as a pure open source project

HP also will contribute ENYO, the application framework for webOS, to the community in the near future along with a plan for the remaining components of the user space.

Beginning today, developers and customers are invited to provide input and suggestions at http://developer.palm.com/blog/.

About HP

HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. The world’s largest technology company, HP brings together a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure to solve customer problems. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com.

This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations, including execution of growth strategies, transformation initiatives and restructuring plans; any statements concerning expected development, performance or market share relating to products and services; any statements regarding anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include macroeconomic and geopolitical trends and events; the competitive pressures faced by HP’s businesses; the development and transition of new products and services (and the enhancement of existing products and services) to meet customer needs and respond to emerging technological trends; the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its customers, suppliers and partners; the protection of HP’s intellectual property assets, including intellectual property licensed from third parties; integration and other risks associated with business combination and investment transactions; the hiring and retention of key employees; expectations and assumptions relating to the execution and timing of growth strategies, transformation initiatives and restructuring plans; the resolution of pending investigations, claims and disputes; and other risks that are described in HP’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended July 31, 2011 and HP’s other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including but not limited to HP’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2010. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.

© 2011 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-12-10 at 02:08.

Maybe Nokia will take a hint and release the full source for Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Yeah, right. It was a very classy move from HP. I don't expect Nokia to even consider matching it.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
WebOS doesn't use Qt, it uses JS+CSS+HTML.
Ah, okay. Then I remembered this detail wrongly. But in this case, who would need Tizen?

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:

Tags
open source, webos