Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
It's your sudden surprise what is surprising.
Agreed. Ever since he's come to TMO, we've been telling him that while yes Nokia's been opening more and more, we already knew it wouldn't be 100% open source... so I think he's just trying to generate a negative reaction to try to pressure it into happening.

Seems that some people don't understand the economics of working within software development. "Open source" does not mean "free ride" for companies using it.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
@ qgil : Yes, but I can not trust in a software whose operation is hidden.
Eagerly waiting for your DTrace analysis...

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
@Ragnar: Nokia is a manufacturer of hardware: it is there that can create unique features and inimitable quality.

@qgil: A businessplan?
- Nokia creates a material with incomparable quality.
- Nokia creates innovative features with hardware that copyists Chinese fail to imitate before Nokia did so the following model.
- Nokia provides innovative services with open and documented protocols for all software to be compatible with these services (more customers).
- Nokia make Maemo 100% FOSS than other manufacturer can use and evolve it. Plus there will be a contributor to different horizon for Maemo, better it will be

So Nokia's customer loyalty through quality, freedom and opportunity to fully engage in Maemo to all levels to ensure revenue.

We therefore apply the same principle as Trent Reznor for his music band NIN:
- Establish links with the fans.
- Give a reason to buy.

I am not surprised, I'm just very disappointed.

Last edited by korbé; 2009-09-22 at 15:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to korbé For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I am not surprised, I'm just very disappointed.
What, in the millions of dollars a year Nokia pours into dozens of full-time open source developers?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Nokia is like Canoncial: Free software to save money, and proprietary software to keep users in a certain form of submission.
Canonical develops hardware? Canonical develops proprietary software? Nokia sells end-user products. A full, end-user ready package consisting of hardware, software, and service. Canonical only sell service. Btw, the hardware isn't open source either. There is a lot of proprietary firmware running. Isn't that a big deal for you?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
What, in the millions of dollars a year Nokia pours into dozens of full-time open source developers?
No, just disappointed not to have a 100% FOSS mobile-PC/Smatphone with equipment capable of competing with the Palm Pre and the iPhone in my pocket. Especially for the price it costs.

But I am still waiting to see the list of proprietary software to determine if it is possible to create alternative Free Software and a script to "purify" the N900 (uninstall proprietary software and install alternatives FOSS) .

The Following User Says Thank You to korbé For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Especially for the price it costs.
Yes, as a consumer, before I spend my money, I always look for products that are 100% OSS and disregard its feature set totally. As long as it's fully OSS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
But I am still waiting to see the list of proprietary software to determine if it is possible to create alternative Free Software and a script to "purify" the N900 (uninstall proprietary software and install alternatives FOSS) .
Keep your eagle eyes on development of Mer for N900...

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Canonical develops hardware? Canonical develops proprietary software? Nokia sells end-user products. A full, end-user ready package consisting of hardware, software, and service. Canonical only sell service. Btw, the hardware isn't open source either. There is a lot of proprietary firmware running. Isn't that a big deal for you?
Canonical make proprietary software:
- UbuntuOne (sever side).
- Landscape.
- Launchpad is remained longtime proprietary.

Proprietary firmware is a problem too, but the source code of firmware can understand how a device works internally and there is still no viable economic model for material "Free" (for this moment).
But project looking to this side: Hackable-Device

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
@Ragnar: Nokia is a manufacturer of hardware: it is there that can create unique features and inimitable quality.
Well. Nokia makes great hardware. I love my E71 for instance, it is a great piece of hardware.

But kind of polarizing, in 5 years the hardware designs will converge and every piece of touch screen hardware will look like the black monolith from 2001, or an advanced version of the smaller monolith from a fruit company: it's a big thin square with a screen as large as that what the device.

Ok, some might have a hardware keyboard, some not.

Then differentiating with hardware becomes very very hard. The Nokia black box might have better materials and might be one millimeter thinner, but our worthy competitors can do something nearly identical. OEM manufacturers already can do hardware that is virtually identical to brand name hardware.

Clearly, differentiating with hardware is not enough. The software is the thing that counts, not the hardware. People do not buy the iPhone for its hardware (not that there is nothing wrong with it), but for the software.

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:

Tags
balance, basic rights, defective by design, get your stink on, gpl holy crusade, open source, open source advocacy, sw wants to be free, try to correct an error, why isn't the gpl law?!, zealots be here