Regarding michaelalanjones post:

1. The "metered" pay-as-you go data "plan" at Cingular is actually US$0.01/KB.

So, yes, if you you pay as you go, and just surf the net as you would typically (ie watching Web videos, downloading large files, etc), it'll be a bundle.

2. But if you are frugal and take appropriate actions while you are relying on the metered connection - don't watch streaming videos, turn off pictures in the browswer, and essentially just download text info content, you can do well (and have a speedy connection).

Check out this thread:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=5190

and in particular this post by TA-t3:

"Turn off the image loading in Opera and you're a long way already
I read the Palm version of Slashdot most days through GPRS, and one day's worth of /. takes only about 50-100k. I keep images off (or only already retrieved images) too, just in case I go off-site following the occasional link. And I use privoxy as well, to be sure. And I keep a browser window with gmail permanently up and running (it doesn't matter if you change network between wi-fi or bt now and then), this makes it possible to check mail with only a few tens of kbytes as well. All very useful when using GPRS without a data plan (i.e. I have to pay as I go). And it makes GPRS fast enough too."

I don't have firsthand experience connecting the N800 to Cingular (but I have Cingular now and plan to buy the N800 soon). Of course, 99% of the time my surfing will be with an unlimited WiFI connection, so I'll be enjoying the full multi-media experience -- but for that other 1% of the time, when I'm in a pinch, I plan to connect via Cingular/Bluetooth, using exactly TA-t3's suggestions.