Notices

Originally Posted by dubliner View Post
I know it's none of my business, but is there a reason why Matrix doesn't seem to be of so much interest any more?

And why isn't this software available on openrepos.net or the Jolla store?
Not especially, it's simply that I have a finite amount of time to spend on projects and my interest is currently elsewhere.

I didn't put it on the stores because I didn't feel it was good enough yet, I personally hate when I download an app from a store only to find its barely functional and only serves to waste my time.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Is there any Matrix client for Sailfish now that supports video calls?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Is there any Matrix client for Sailfish now that supports video calls?
I don't believe so, but I did investigate the gstwebrtc plugin that's now in sailfish and how to hook it up to to the ui

https://github.com/r0kk3rz/gstwebrtc-demos
https://github.com/r0kk3rz/gstdroid-player

The libqmatrixclient that is used in harbour-matrix now supports the necessary matrix signals, so someone needs to figure out how to mash all the bits together

EDIT:
Looks like one of our russian friends is doing some nice looking UI work for harbour-matrix, bringing some much needed polish
https://github.com/r0kk3rz/harbour-m...ment-442305090

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dubliner View Post
I know it's none of my business, but is there a reason why Matrix doesn't seem to be of so much interest any more?

And why isn't this software available on openrepos.net or the Jolla store?
As a person who recently had to choose between opensource communication solutions for our company, my experience on the matter is that both Matrix and Xmpp developers are far too interested on technology itself, while the client side gets neglected.

I call it a paradox of "Anti-social people building a social network".

We had to choose Rocket.Chat over Matrix or Xmpp because the clients for those were bad or good ones didn't exist on all platforms.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2017 @ Finland
Originally Posted by carlosgonz View Post
is forked by: https://github.com/arsh0r/harbour-matrix
Allright thanks for information! And oh that's little bit sad, so matrix is dead in sailfish.

Let's see if someone else takes Project and continue this application.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Korkkiruuvi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by Korkkiruuvi View Post
Allright thanks for information! And oh that's little bit sad, so matrix is dead in sailfish.

Let's see if someone else takes Project and continue this application.
i really do not know why the dev had deleted the matrix-fork after i share the link. : |
the matriksi-dev has been stopped this project, due of disappointments of jolla team. same like me. i like sailfish os, but not the company how is they is running the must pretty OS. like to goverments , unopensourcing.thats sad.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
We had to choose Rocket.Chat over Matrix or Xmpp because the clients for those were bad or good ones didn't exist on all platforms.
Which platforms were important?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Which platforms were important?
Separate clients for Linux, Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. And last but not least the web client had to be a good one.
SFOS support would have been a plus, of course, but with only so few users with SFOS, hardly a deciding factor.

After running XMPP for 5+ years we tested Hip.chat (RIP), Mattermost, Matrix and Rocket.Chat to fight off the ever invading Yammer and Flowdock solutions. Those weren't allowed but people used them anyway.

XMPP situation had been bad for years; no viable web client and only development forks that were killed left and right. I ended up forking Jappix (RIP) for our own use, but that didn't scale in the end.
Also the best single XMPP client, Conversations on Android, was not ported to traditional OSes.
Pidgin and Gajim just don't cut it. Pidgin is an ugly swiss army knife tool for IT-advanced people, and Gajim is not any better from the users point of view.

Hip.chat was clear for me that it was in the end of the road, and indeed Atlassian killed it soon after. It wasn't open source anyway and was expensive.

Mattermost was promising but their clients were afwul, and their support for full names and online status bad. Also they were charging small diamonds for the version with advanced authentication solutions. (And source code built it as a docker image.)

Matrix has the same good vibe to it as XMPP has, server-to-server communications and all, but the web client riot.im was years away from the last tested contender, Rocket.Chat. The web client was ugly as hell (themes too) and had lots of functionality missing.

Rocket.Chat has its bad sides to it (noSQL database mongodb and no s-2-s communications), but its web client is excellent and the clients for all mentioned platforms are good, although the mobile versions keep evolving constantly, and not always without regressions.

Edit: This happened two years ago, and I haven't checked the situation with Matrix now. But at the time they seemed to have their priorities off just like XMPP scene had had. In fact it was worse; regardless what they said in their FAQ about not trying to compete with XMPP, they were fracturing the XMPP scene just when Slack and Flowdock took over the world.
I give credit for XMPP and Matrix for what they are trying to achieve but meanwhile we are stuck in our own shard of Rocket.Chat.

Last edited by Manatus; 2018-11-30 at 08:28.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
Also the best single XMPP client, Conversations on Android, was not ported to traditional OSes.
Pidgin and Gajim just don't cut it. Pidgin is an ugly swiss army knife tool for IT-advanced people, and Gajim is not any better from the users point of view.
Nothing wrong with Gajim, but yes, it depends...
But have you tried Dino? https://dino.im/ Although release downloads are not yet available, nightly builds are already rock solid, so I'm using it for everyday communication...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by acrux View Post
Nothing wrong with Gajim, but yes, it depends...
But have you tried Dino? https://dino.im/ Although release downloads are not yet available, nightly builds are already rock solid, so I'm using it for everyday communication...
No, dino.im wasn't there when we needed one, and with several hundred employees we had to commit to something for years to come, or the worse options with more staying power will instantly win (Flowdock and Yammer, yuck!).

When you build a communication platform for the enterprise the biggest mistake you can do is to keep switching it, or creating more platforms to compete with it. This divides the user base every time it is done, which is exactly what you don't want. If there is now an option for Rocket.Chat, it has to be an awful lot better to justify the risk of switching to it.

Having said this, of course I didn't have heart to kill our XMPP instance for the limited user cases where s-2-s is needed, and a rare case that someone actually still happens to run XMPP server to connect with. So I probably will check dino.im in the future, if not for anything else but as a hobby project.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post: