Notices

To celebrate MartinK's mgr. "insurrection" , I have feature request, that would bring ModRana into "another level of usability "™ and should be, in fact, quite easy/quick to code*

Okapi geocaching support!

*famous last words
---

I know that we have, already, few geocaching programs around. Still, they're outdated, unmaintained, and - most importantly - don't support OpenCaching, which is de facto standard for FOSS geocaching implementations.

Now, OpenCaching have nicely documented and freely (no surprise, as it's whole FOSS project) available API - the same, no matter which national opencaching.* site we're using. it's called Okapi:
http://opencaching.pl/okapi/introduction.html

Now, if they're true about what they've written on main page, it should be really, really trivial to implement API requests. All other things to do would be minor UI switch to make use of Okapi prefferences, and voila.

It would make life of geocachers *much* easier, not to mention making ModRana instant replacement for all geocaching programs out there (well, in fact, ModRana is so good, that I spend ages on manual POI input for geocaches, anyway...).

I hope you'll find a spare moment for looking into this,

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-06-29 at 18:39.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Yes, it is not yet implemented in the QML interface. The functionality is of course still there in the modRana core, just not yet exposed through the QML interface.

BTW, if you install GTK and use the GTK interface, routing works like on N900. Just not sure if Espeak is available for N9. If it is, even voice navigation should work.
I'm trying to install the GTK version of ModRana on my N9 so I can use routing but now that repo.pub.meego.com is down, I can't get the gtk and python-gtk packages. They aren't available on either rzr's backup or skeiron.org - see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79229&page=4 for detail.

Is there any other place where these might be stored? Or perhaps there is a command line way of telling the Qt version of ModRana to load a .gpx route? Any help appreciated.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bp0 For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot to everyone for your support!

I've successfully defended my thesis and also passed successfully the masters exam, finishing the Applied Informatics masters study program on the Faculty of Informatics of the Masaryk University in Brno.

BTW, my thesis is available if full from the official thesis page, but it is completely in Czech.

I made some quite extensive tables comparing most of the current mobile platforms for the thesis, so I'm thinking of putting those tables to some publicly editable wiki (like the Maemo one) and maintaining theme there. Also some articles based on material from the thesis might show up in the future.

tl;dr:
I now have a Mgr. title and can get back to modRana development. [/LIST]
MartinK - Your efforts with respect to Modrana and other projects while also answering questions here on Maemo.org and at the same time working towards and completing your masters is remarkable! When do you sleep? You are an impressive human being (or are you a machine? ).
- David

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeyman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by bp0 View Post
I'm trying to install the GTK version of ModRana on my N9 so I can use routing but now that repo.pub.meego.com is down, I can't get the gtk and python-gtk packages. They aren't available on either rzr's backup or skeiron.org - see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79229&page=4 for detail.

Is there any other place where these might be stored?
I've put them (well, everything from the late home:MartinK:gtk COBS repository) on the modRana website:

http://modrana.org/misc/harmattan_gtk/

Weird that at least RzR does not have them - I'm pretty sure he spidered my COBS stuff.

Originally Posted by bp0 View Post
Or perhaps there is a command line way of telling the Qt version of ModRana to load a .gpx route? Any help appreciated.
Well, not yet. Actually, the Qt/QML GUI doesn't yet support showing any markers or vectors on the map. I hope to get to that soon - it will be a bit more difficult to do due due to how QML (or more precisely Qt Quick) works. In the GTK interface modRana just paints the route/tracklog on the screen on every screen redraw (modRana actually doesn't do any partial redraws at all in the GTK GUI).

On the other hand, the Qt GUI works with the concept elements living in the managed Qt Quick context. You just specify the given element (tile image/icon/text) and the context handles all the drawing quite efficiently. I guess I could just hack a screen covering element and have it redraw each time the map is moved, but something more efficient should be doable.

Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
MartinK - Your efforts with respect to Modrana and other projects while also answering questions here on Maemo.org and at the same time working towards and completing your masters is remarkable!
Well, I've been also working part-time in Red Hat on the Anaconda installer since March. So if you have any issues when installing Fedora or RHEL, let me know.

Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
When do you sleep? You are an impressive human being (or are you a machine? ).
- David
Thanks! Well, I've somehow managed, but it was quite a busy time alright.

Last edited by MartinK; 2013-07-03 at 20:51.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
To celebrate MartinK's mgr. "insurrection" , I have feature request, that would bring ModRana into "another level of usability "™ and should be, in fact, quite easy/quick to code*

Okapi geocaching support!

*famous last words
---

I hope you'll find a spare moment for looking into this,

Cheers,
/Estel
Sure, I'll check it out. I plan to rework the current POI search to use the concept of POI providers, so that more POI search services can be easily used (currently modRana uses just Google local search). Okapi could be implemented as one of those providers, at least initially.

BTW, I think you'll have to add quite a lot of stuff to support Geocaching correctly. Stuff like arrow to cache, multi stage caches, reading/leaving comments, those weird calculators, sorting by cache type, etc. But yeah, just showing the caches on the map should be a good start.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Any way to separate ModRana into different packages? So that a user could install only GTK-ui, , or only Qt-ui; choose whether he wants to have local vector-to-raster tile renderer, or 'simply' download tiles from external tile server; whether he wants to search a location in Google, Yahoo, or local vector data.
By the way, are there any plans to integrate osso-addressbook with ModRana? It's possible to change map-helper in gconf (/apps/osso-addressbook/map-helper?), but you need to have a script (/usr/lib/osso-addressbook/map-helpers/modrana?) which would read address from $VCARD_ADR_ and translate it into a location on the map.
Best wishes. Thank you.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Any way to separate ModRana into different packages? So that a user could install only GTK-ui, , or only Qt-ui; choose whether he wants to have local vector-to-raster tile renderer, or 'simply' download tiles from external tile server; whether he wants to search a location in Google, Yahoo, or local vector data.
While QML GUI and GTK GUI package separation is good idea, the other ones sounds terrible. I don't want to install xyz packages, if I want ModRana to use tiles for one purpose, and vectors for another. Or search by yahoo for a while, then switch too google or vector back again.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Not yet, but I know about this issue. I plan to add a layer setting to the map configuration file, that would set for how long will the map tiles be considered valid before being redownloaded (and maybe even reload currently displayed tiles ?).
I think "redownload" would be a nice addition to the "Download" menu. I'm currently mapping one small town and Marble's auto-update works very unreliably in a short term. But deleting all cached tiles is not an option for me, I have huge territories cached for offline usage. Any suggestion of a workaround (how to hunt down specific tiles in cache or any other software)?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Any suggestion of a workaround (how to hunt down specific tiles in cache or any other software)?
Sure:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Slippy_map_tilenames

With particular attention to:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/S..._of_tile_names

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
But deleting all cached tiles is not an option for me, I have huge territories cached for offline usage. Any suggestion of a workaround
Why delete them? Just rename the tile cache folder while you are working on your map updates. When you are done, move back the old folder.

This way you have always have current updates and won't lose your tile cache.

HTH,
Thomas

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thomasjfox For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps