Hey the Nokia 810N is looking really good and im really considering buying it for Christmas. I am really interested in the internet capabilities of the device and would like to ask a couple of questions. Please do your best to answer them.

I live near Washington DC, and next year i would be on band trips which means 2 hours on the bus per competition. If i had a bluetooth enabled phone, would i be able to listen to streaming radio while the bus was moving?

How is the internet speed when using a bluetooth phone?

(without modding) can you use a 32 GB memory stick now?

Last question: How much DOES the bluetooth cost? Do i have to pay just to use it on the phone (like a dollar an hour or something)????

thanks

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
whoa, slow down there.

1) If you can use your phone on the bus, you can use the internet on the bus.

2) The "speed" of the connection depends on two things. First, the type of your phone. There is 1G, which is SLOW. Then there is EDGE, which is called 2G. This might be fast enough. Then there is 3G, which is obviously fast enough. The other part it your data plan. If you have a fast plan, you get faster internet (duh)

3) Bluetooth is "free." Now, the problem is that your phone must support sharing its internet (called tethering). Some phone companies disable this. Usually, you get a data plan, and after you use your data, its costs a LOT for more, unless you have unlimited data.

4) Craves1 is making a SD adapter, so 32GB is possible. Right now, 16GB MicroSD is possible without mods.

Extra Bonus:

Have you considered a N810 WiMax edition? There is WiMax internet in DC, so you get 4G speed built into the N810!

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Wow thanks! You answered every question. I am probably not getting the Wimax edition because the regular ones cost about $275 on ebay, and the Wimax editions are 100 dollars more expensive. Oh well, maybe its worth the extra money lol

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
You would need a data plan with your cell provider and a cell phone that supports bluetooth tethering. The monthly charge will depend on your carrier and the plans offered. I only use Boingo WiFi at $7.95 per month and the occasional open access point. I only have a 2GB memory stick but believe that larger ones will work. For this you'll need to install the usbcontrol application for switching to USB Host mode and back. Although other cabling options are available the cheapest and most strait forward is to buy a USB female A to femail A to connect the USB cable that came with the tablet to the memory stick.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Originally Posted by ilikefood723 View Post
Wow thanks! You answered every question. I am probably not getting the Wimax edition because the regular ones cost about $275 on ebay, and the Wimax editions are 100 dollars more expensive. Oh well, maybe its worth the extra money lol
I'd say the WiMax Edition is worth it, and so would this WiMax Addict.

Last edited by rjzak; 2008-12-04 at 13:22.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Maryland
I would do this ilikefood:

1.) Find out what plan, how much and everything extra.
2.) Make two different plans; one that would be for the N810 and one for the WiMAX edition.
3.) Compare and see if you would actually save on costs overall.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andyschism For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Andyschism View Post
I would do this ilikefood:

1.) Find out what plan, how much and everything extra.
2.) Make two different plans; one that would be for the N810 and one for the WiMAX edition.
3.) Compare and see if you would actually save on costs overall.
And check if you'd have to get a contract or extend your contract with your mobile carrier. XOHM doesn't have contracts.

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Don't expect much from mobile internet. Providers promise 'superfast HSDPA internet' with home ADSL speed but that is theory. In practice, only in cities or near UMTS antennas this is true. In most places it is really S L O W, not faster than dialup speed. And you'll notice this much more than on a phone browser as the builtin browser is much faster and better (albeit not as fast as a PC browser) and supports full internet and displays flash and no stripped 'mobile' pages, unless you click on 'mobile version' like you can on a PC.

Actually they rip you off with slow speed at high cost, particularly when you go out of the country. Be warned.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
RE: WiMax
Unless there is coverage where you are going it won't be useful. For instance if most of your trips are to Baltimore, GREAT. West Virginia, forget about it.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
RE: WiMax
Unless there is coverage where you are going it won't be useful. For instance if most of your trips are to Baltimore, GREAT. West Virginia, forget about it.
And DC, Reston, McLean, etc.