Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Yeah, I have been looking at it a bit. Not really that much success since I do have a lot of other things on my mind presently

Well, it's fairly complicated system. The gps driver just pushes filtered satellite timing data to the driver, and the Nokia Positioning Daemon (nped) then calculates the position drom time differentials.
If you could give us some hints of the work you've done and where/how to start working on it(even create a new thread) that'd be awesome.

Thanks for your work.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flowcont For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Flowcont View Post
If you could give us some hints of the work you've done and where/how to start working on it(even create a new thread) that'd be awesome.

Thanks for your work.
The usual way I start such reverse engineering tasks is I try to get as much raw data as possible, and then try to make sense of it.

I compiled the driver module (bcm4751-gps.ko) with a lot of debug printouts, restarted nped, started maps and looked at the results to see what the intresting parts were.

Then I added more thorough logging to get at the data buffers passed between the kernel driver and nped.

Now next step would be to try to make sense of the data, and try to decipher the protocol specification. When that's done the positioning daemon can be replaced with a new implementation.
The source of nped is closed, but the algorithms on GPS calculation are public so the task should be doable.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
what about CMT(cell modem) in 3.5 kernel?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The usual way I start such reverse engineering tasks is I try to get as much raw data as possible, and then try to make sense of it.

I compiled the driver module (bcm4751-gps.ko) with a lot of debug printouts, restarted nped, started maps and looked at the results to see what the intresting parts were.

Then I added more thorough logging to get at the data buffers passed between the kernel driver and nped.

Now next step would be to try to make sense of the data, and try to decipher the protocol specification. When that's done the positioning daemon can be replaced with a new implementation.
The source of nped is closed, but the algorithms on GPS calculation are public so the task should be doable.
why cant we just access that chip direcly? or did Nokia put some firmware inside that chip that is binary crap instead of NMEA?

Btw. just found out that Nexus7 using same chip. wonder if android daemon is open source.

Not have a clue what I am talking about here but maybe doable via libhybris as a second alternative?

also found this:

https://gitorious.org/meif_protocol/...5e8ab2578808b:

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-10-11 at 18:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
why cant we just access that chip direcly? or did Nokia put some firmware inside that chip that is binary crap instead of NMEA?
You got it nailed!

Nobody makes (or uses actually) anything that gives out NMEA any longer

It's all about power saving and cost today. GPS chips are just the RF frontend and decoder, and the actual positional calculation is done by the main CPU. This makes kind of sense as then it is easier to use ephemerals downloaded thru net.

Most chipsets implement a variation of a proprietary binary protocol called MEIF ghich has been developed by Nokia (and N9 uses it also)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Btw. just found out that Nexus7 using same chip. wonder if android daemon is open source.

Not have a clue what I am talking about here but maybe doable via libhybris as a second alternative?
Unfortunately that part is closed. The replicant people are also looking at it though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Sounds like we are gonna be able to see a port for N9 soon, I presume.
http://www.jollausers.com/2013/10/sd...-won-an-award/

Any chances, what do you think?

The Following User Says Thank You to torcida For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Slovenia
will there be any theme similar to meego (eg. Icons an the swipe transtitions, the system unrestricted ui) because i think MeeGo's biggest problem is the lack of apps... What i think to have the sailfish platform and meego look...

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by anzx View Post
will there be any theme similar to meego (eg. Icons an the swipe transtitions, the system unrestricted ui) because i think MeeGo's biggest problem is the lack of apps... What i think to have the sailfish platform and meego look...
Well, you could just add patched qt-components-qt5 in the path of Sailfish Silica. to have a similar look. But you'll need to patch 'em urself or get them patched

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Hopefully, or rather probably, there will be a working Sailfish image for the N9 the same day it's released for the Jolla. Problem will be Wayland but hopefully it'll work well enough. Not sure if it's possible to run Sailfish's UX on X11 without having the source available.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following User Says Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, nokia, sailfish