Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
hello guys,
how many of us,the nokia n900 users feel that maemo 5 has raised the bar

lets look at the features,claims,my views if it is really the best/unique and the utility it provides for the economic value we put in

1.Panoroma desktop: freedom to personalise and slide smoothly
must agree it really slides smooth but definitely not the first one to provide multiple and customisable desktops. My old windows mobile allowed multiple desktops and customisations(in a different way) at half the cost of this phone
utility of multiple desktops-for mere shortcuts, i dont see the need but for widgets/applets,yes.... now how many widgets do we have,the half cooked calendar,the buggy media player,facebook,weather,ovi,location(didnt know how it helps with the GPS taking ever to lock in).....no portrait mode for the desktop complicates the multiple screen scrolling when used with single hand....some of you may claim,it would be possible but wouldnt risk it for a drop would incurr a $540 loss.......so would rank it poor...........................(to be contd)

The Following User Says Thank You to rcarlos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
i think your expectations were very different.

it has some quirks and problems but its a beast no other phone can take on. my brother just recently bought the xperia x10 with android 1.6. it is very fast and flashy but guess what? you cant close an app once its opened. it runs in the background forever. you need to download an app to kill the app. thats what you call epic fail.

sorry you dont feel you got value for your money. one phone isnt for all.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
The others are still not even getting close to the bar. Root access out of the box, X11, apt-get, community repos by default, etc. What other platforms are even promising to beat this? None.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to jnwi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
so, freedom to personalize and you think there should be less options for personalization?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

2.Phone:rotate to access,tap to call,contact integration,search and skype integration.
Yes rotate to access is a new feature in the accelorometer enabled devices...would certianly give it to nokia....tap to call....old feature already available on most phones....contact integration&skype....hasnt nokia heard abt fring...fring a free software provides the same feature on most phones.....search for contacts is quite old and I believe nokia's cheaper phones do provide the feature....quite interestingly....some of the basic phone fuctions are missing when compared to an entry level phone...for eg call duration,USSD(offcourse it might b fixed with a dev intervention)mms(spare fMMS still in extras-dev). Best part is the nokia developers justifying themselves by saying its made as a computer than a phone .....sorry guys, nokia marketing doesnt say so nor their website.would dare such guysto put the same explanation they posted on various forums on to the nokia main page.....so doesnt provide me any utility compared to a basic phone.....so again $540 down the drain...to be contd

maybe maemo has not delivered out of the box what you expected .. but it definitely has delivered in the introduction of openness and community driven development in the field of mobile computing ..

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
No, I don't think so. who cares about the bar, as long as you happy with it.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I think this is actually new out of the 1,000-or-so threads like it: a serialized rant.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
The others are still not even getting close to the bar. Root access out of the box, X11, apt-get, community repos by default, etc. What other platforms are even promising to beat this? None.
thats my worry....so what does a root access provide to a non developer.......does it infer that this phone is stereotyped to b meant for a community only?....were any of the points you mentioned used as USPs by nokia?

Its OrangeBox. notice how he registers, and puts a different location on his tag, just to sure. But the tone gives him away

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:

Tags
complaint, hit the bar, less than zero, noise