Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Ahhh, hang on, you mean like a sub-directory of a website?
Yes. "Namespace" is the wrong term, as GeneralAntilles pointed out. I can't remember what the right one is - but "sub-directory" seems to be pretty understandable :-)

The OS thing could be a problem as some of the tutorials only work with Chinook (mostly the ones that depend on host mode as there's no easy way to put Diablo tablets into host mode AFAIK).
Isn't the OS categorisation a good thing if they only work on certain OSes? Anyway, as for USB host on Diablo - I start "USB" from my "Settings" application menu and click "Host".

If I had the appropriate cable, I wouldn't even need to do that - but I use the as-shipped cable and a gender-bender.

Also, beginners probably won't know what their OS version is because it's not really mentioned anywhere in the interface. They are much more likely to just know the model number of their tablet, and whether they have updated the firmware.
Oh, indeed - but I'm not imagining people having to guess the URLs ;-)

The approach perhaps ought to be that people find tutorials by tablet model, and are told to update to the latest firmware in order to make the tutorial work. That way they wouldn't have to know anything about firmware versions, merely make sure they have updated the firmware recently.
Sounds sensible. Could even have nice large images of each of the tablets to click on.

[quote]Of course it would mean the tutorials would all have to be checked (and possibly updated) to make sure they work with Diablo.

Aye, not too much of a problem if they're only text.

[Titles: ]Clarity might be more important than consistency. Some tutorial titles lend themselves to "how to" but others don't. Couldn't titles be done on a case-by-case basis?
Depends if the index is going to be maintained by hand (allowing different titles on the index from the page itself) or auto-generated as much as possible.

I favour the latter (reduces work), and so would try strenuously to avoid a "how to" prefix unless absolutely necessary. After all, it's a tutorial - it's going to be a "how to".

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Isn't the OS categorisation a good thing if they only work on certain OSes?
True, there is a contradiction in what I said. :-)

I suppose what I should have said was:

If people only know their device model number and are aware of when they last updated firmware, then perhaps the best approach is to organise tutorials by device number and instruct them to update to the latest firmware.

The tutorials would then have to be kept up to date to work on the latest firmware.

Anyway, as for USB host on Diablo - I start "USB" from my "Settings" application menu and click "Host".
What do you have installed that gives you a host option?

Sounds sensible. Could even have nice large images of each of the tablets to click on.
Yes, that sounds like a good idea.

Depends if the index is going to be maintained by hand (allowing different titles on the index from the page itself) or auto-generated as much as possible.
It wouldn't be that hard to maintain by hand, especially if very few people are actually writing these beginners tutorials.

And it would be much easier for beginners to navigate a themed index with basic lessons listed above complex ones. That's how school textbooks organise themselves, for exactly the same reason.

I favour the latter (reduces work), and so would try strenuously to avoid a "how to" prefix unless absolutely necessary. After all, it's a tutorial - it's going to be a "how to".
The index would still be better with manual sorting because the more complex stuff doesn't necessarily come later in the alphabet.

If people only know their device model number and are aware of when they last updated firmware, then perhaps the best approach is to organise tutorials by device number and instruct them to update to the latest firmware.
True. Similar to the forum split here, taking into account devices which couldn't be upgraded further (i.e. somewhere to put fremantle tutorials without removing the diablo ones)

The tutorials would then have to be kept up to date to work on the latest firmware.
Hopefully, a mini-team like the Bug Squad, tmo taggers, Wiki Action Group could come together to do that. (I'd hope you'd want to still be involved in that)

What do you have installed that gives you a host option?
http://tabletblog.com/2008/03/n810-native-usb-host.html

With the proper OTG cable, it Just Works; but since a gender-changer was cheaper...

The index would still be better with manual sorting because the more complex stuff doesn't necessarily come later in the alphabet.
Yup, I'm convinced. You could do it automatically with leading prefices, but the index also gives a single point of quality control.

You mean USB Control?

That isn't available for Diablo though...

You mean USB Control? That isn't available for Diablo though...
So it appears. It works fine though, so I wonder why it's not in diablo Extras.

So it appears. It works fine though, so I wonder why it's not in diablo Extras.
It doesn't install through the Downloads site either, just tried to make sure.

Is there any way for it to be made available through Diablo Extras? If it works on Diablo then it ought to be...

I know there are workarounds but I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible, people ought to be able to install this with one click just like other Diablo apps.

It would be quite nice to make this happen because a number of the most popular tutorials (keyboard, memory stick, HDD) depend on USB Control being easy to install. Once it's installed, it's really really easy to use USB accessories through a gender-bender.

Urho Konttori has uploaded a version of USBControl to extras-devel for testing.

Needs a `Section' tweak for v1.1 before promotion to Extras but otherwise looks fine.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Urho Konttori has uploaded a version of USBControl to extras-devel for testing.

Needs a `Section' tweak for v1.1 before promotion to Extras but otherwise looks fine.
Hmm... how long do you reckon it will take before it's promoted?

It would save a LOT of bother regarding the USB tutorials if USB Control was available in Extras, they wouldn't really need to be rewritten at all.

It would also mean that pretty much all of the tutorials would work with Diablo.

If the version in extras-devel does work, and all that is needed is a slight modification to change the section, then it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to promote it to extras.

Maybe you should contact Urho Konttori?

Additionally, anyone with upload rights can do that, but it's only polite to contact the maintainer first (I know I wouldn't want someone promoting a package of mine to extras if I didn't deem it ready).

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
If the version in extras-devel does work, and all that is needed is a slight modification to change the section, then it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to promote it to extras. Maybe you should contact Urho Konttori?
I did (but didn't make it clear in my post). Gave him a prod yesterday on #maemo, and gave the feedback via email.

I'll let you know the status as it changes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: