It's indeed the LCD that's broken in my device... Ordered a replacement.
Btw, the strange vibration was caused by an alarm... doh!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
And it's alive again!
Oh joy!

OT here, but what's the status of your custom backcovers, Estel? That device could use a new one and I'm wondering whether to wait or get one on ebay...

The Following User Says Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
I would say that I'm after middle of work required, something about 60% done Can't give any better estimation, sorry - it depends on my free time now, mostly.

Fortunately, I've ceased not only activity in Council, but also totally lost interest in some other projects (namely, CSSU) too - which mean all my free time goes for backcover/body replacement.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick update...
Flex cable received, from a EBay seller representing www.ChinaPhoneAccessories.com. There is transparent glue on its back, while Nokia's original cable was attached by white adhesive. The cable itself is done well, but the glue layer is a bit bumpy, it seems to be too thick in one place. Everything works now, but the device will not be taken outdoors, yet: since two of the screws of the screen were destroyed, there is a small gap within the screen which would potentially allow sand and dirt to access and attack the insides, and it would be undesirable.
Updating the software, with hopes that even if the screen and the touchscreen stop working, N900 will still be usable. By the way, most of the blindly-made photographs turned out to be fine, even if they are not needed now: a long time has passed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Those screws are easily purchasable from ebay-like websites - although, they're ridiculously overpriced (for a screw).
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
A large part of the problem is the fact that since the two screws were drilled, the inside screw is not free - it is still filled with piece of destroyed screw, so new screws would not be helpful. If replacement parts were not overpriced, we should have found empty screen shell with six fresh screws included. Right now, glue is more likely option.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2012-09-30 at 13:19.

I don't recommend using glue. Cyanoacryline won't be strong enough, and any other type will make You curse, if You ever need to repair anything again.

I would rather suggest to take very sharp screwdriver, hammer, and *gently* make new "row" inside part of screw, that remain inside. This way, you should be able to unscrew it.

Considering, that You're able to disassemble screen completely, You don't even need to be *very* gentle during that, as You don't risk punctuating screen.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
black screen, blank screen, flex ribbon, nokia n900, ripped