Ok so after an hour of searching but not finding, I decided to ask, my Maps app doesn't open at all, when I open it it just closes a second after opening. I know it's because I deleted the US maps that came with it (I'm in the UK) and I have some new maps from Navicore, the problem is I'm not sure where to place the new maps so that the app can find them and open. I took the N810 to the Nokia store yesterday but after an hour of tinkering with my tablet they came to the conclusion that without the maps the app wouldn't open. Geniuses. Thanks for keeping me there an hour to tell me what I already knew. So I'm hoping some of you guys will be able to point me in the right direction, or even send me the original files somehow so I can overwrite whatever's there now and take the application back to it's original state so I can start again.

No? Nobody can help?

You may have a corrupted SD card. That happened to me when I had a couple of failed map downloads. Try reformating your card, it may help. I used a new larger card.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Maps program should open just fine without any maps on the memory card. (Did try this with my N810 after formatting the internal memory card, and it worked.) You may try to uninstall maps, empty (format) your memory card, reinstall maps and start you Maps app. When I did this, Maps created the proper directory structures into the internal memory card. (But no maps... of course...)

Then you should be able to download maps using the Maps application. Also, it is possible to copy your existing backup of map files to the memory card. You should have "map" directory on the root of your memory card. The maps are then grouped by directory under the "map" directory. (For example /map/mapdata_Scandinavia/lots of files and directories here...) Once you have copied the files there, you should be seeing your maps in "available maps".

If this doesn't work, you may have some conflicts in map configuration files. Last resort may be to reflash the tablet OS.

Last edited by Mara; 2008-02-18 at 18:31.

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
You may try to uninstall maps, empty (format) your memory card, and start you Maps app.
How can I uninstall the maps themselves if the app won't open? Can you tell me which directory or which files to delete? Or do you mean uninstall the application from the application manager?

Originally Posted by flamingsnot View Post
How can I uninstall the maps themselves if the app won't open? Can you tell me which directory or which files to delete? Or do you mean uninstall the application from the application manager?
Yes, uninstall/reinstall using application manager.

Yes, uninstall/reinstall using application manager.
Ok I just need to make sure for fear of messing anything else up, if I uninstall the maps, where will I be able to find it again? In the installable apps right?

Originally Posted by flamingsnot View Post
Ok I just need to make sure for fear of messing anything else up, if I uninstall the maps, where will I be able to find it again? In the installable apps right?
Yes, it should be there as long as you have the Nokia default repositories listed in you repositories list.

(If you have your original Maps application, if you click "check for updates" in application manager, it likely suggest you an update for Maps... if it doesn't then you may not have the right repository enabled. Check if the Maemo Extras repository is enabled. With default settings it is not.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Yes, it should be there as long as you have the Nokia default repositories listed in you repositories list.

(If you have your original Maps application, if you click "check for updates" in application manager, it likely suggest you an update for Maps... if it doesn't then you may not have the right repository enabled. Check if the Maemo Extras repository is enabled. With default settings it is not.)
Ok well I've uninstalled and reinstalled the maps app and it's still not opening, if possible, could you write me up a quick list of the folders in the Maps folder and possibly the files just so I can check what I might be missing?

I have the same pro lem were the map application tries to open then immediatley shutsdown. i think i may have deleted the contents int th folder called mapdata under maps on the n810 built in memory card. i have tried reflashing the os witnhout backup and even dowloading the map data western-usa, to no avail...am i SOL? can someone email me the contents of that folder...not the large map data but the other files?