Active Topics

Poll: Who did you vote for Maemo Community Council
Poll Options
Who did you vote for Maemo Community Council

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
I would say at the very list it might even confuse some people might think they are really voting here. Then there vote wouldn't count. Besides that it is just wrong to run a poll while we are voting this poll should be run before hand if you wanted to run it.
You have never heard of an Exit Poll???
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
I voted for everyone. You're a fine group.

As for the order of my vote, well, it's hard to say...

The Following User Says Thank You to TenSpeed For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
You have never heard of an Exit Poll???
Yes I have but that doesn't mean it wont confuse some people.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
Yes I have but that doesn't mean it wont confuse some people.
Really?

Title of thread clearly states "Exit Polls"

"Sept 2009 Maemo Community Council Exit Polls..."

The question clearly asks "Who did you vote for"

"Who did you vote for Maemo Community Council"

On top of that they get an EMAIL telling them to vote and how?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Really?
Go back and look at the previous threads when people have wanted to vote. Perhaps people who aren't eligible to vote will think this poll has some meaning (when, at best, it's just YASOP[1]).

Of course, the comments should disengage them of that notion; but it's a bit odd; we've never had one before; it could reinforce certain voting patterns; it's potentially confusing and it's not - actually - "fun".

Instead of asking why so many people are saying it seems a bit peculiar and perhaps should be taken down/not down; perhaps you could say why you're so attached to an idea?

If this was me refusing to listen, you'd've been jumping up and down accusing a council-led cabal of not paying attention to the legitimate concerns of the "real" users! :-p

[1] Yet Another Sub-Optimal Poll :-)

Last edited by Jaffa; 2009-09-22 at 15:06. Reason: Forgot the footnote

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Again referring to Europe, exit polls in the voting day are allowed but they can't publish the results while the voting period is open. Precisely to avoid the influence to undecided voters.

Last edited by qgil; 2009-09-22 at 15:06.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I think the major problem is that the poll was created by one of the candidates. If someone not affiliated with the election in progress had created it, it wouldn't have been such a big issue.

Tim

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
I think the major problem is that the poll was created by one of the candidates. If someone not affiliated with the election in progress had created it, it wouldn't have been such a big issue.

Tim
I can understand the logic perhaps IF I were an admin and had some control over what the votes in this poll were. However this is just people voting, if they think its crap don't give your vote. Or vote completely opposite how you voted in the actual election its really just for fun.

In the US exit polls are run as people exit the voting facility. They are run by candidates on both side. The republicans will go to a heavily republican population and say "WE are winning" Then dems go to a highly democratic population and claim the same thing.

I am coming to a neutral place and saying hey who did you vote for? I have no ability to change the votes shown in this poll.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Again referring to Europe, exit polls in the voting day are allowed but they can't publish the results while the voting period is open. Precisely to avoid the influence to undecided voters.
Why not? Anyone can arrange an exit poll and publish the results. The question is whether these results are authoritative enough to trust the outcome.

Well, they're not, because they, by design don't have the same authentication and integrity measures as the real election. Both those who are polled as well as those who poll are able to meddle with the outcome of the exit poll. Exit polls are also never anonymous.

No, the issue is publishing real results (even partly!) while anyone is still able to vote. The outcome of this exit poll is not the real result.

Therefore, if someone would use non-maemo.org server to make some kind of exit poll we cannot moderate that. There is nothing we can do to stop that.

(My dislike of exit polls notwithstanding.)

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I can understand the logic perhaps IF I were an admin and had some control over what the votes in this poll were.
Right, but you didn't just start a poll, you published your own votes. That can have a certain tendency to sway other voters because they either (a) trust you, or (b) don't.

Tim