Notices

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
Having downloaded the video fine it seems to have downloaded the older version of the video file - its quite interesting actually, its not the same version as on the main bbc iplayer site - where does it come from? The version it downloaded had a bit of bbc news 24 tacked on before the programme whilst the iplayer website didnt. (Im not criticising, Im just interested)
It's downloading the iPod/iPhone versions which is why it is DRM-free as those devices can't play the regular protected files. The versions played on your computer will be different (as you've found) and you can get much better quality.

I'm guessing the reason part of News 24 appeared is that they have an automated system converting programmes to mp4, which probably goes by timings, so may well pick up a little extra.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Leicester,UK
has anyone tried using the bbc website for iplayer??? i just get freezing all the time during playback.infact this is the same for many websites ie footytube.com.has anyone else found this?

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
this sounds sick- nice work

how do you remove an alias if you change your mind?

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Imperial College London
Originally Posted by asidana View Post
how do you remove an alias if you change your mind?
You need to edit the file /home/user/.profile and remove the line with the alias on it. Apart from vi I don't know which text editors are on the device by default I'm afraid. Perhaps someone can make a suggestion?

You can check the contents of .profile by doing the following:

Code:
cd /home/user
cat .profile
The first line (cd) is probably not needed as you start off in /home/user when you start a new terminal.

If this file only has the alias you don't want in it then you could just remove the file if you want an easy way to remove the alias, i.e.

Code:
cd /home/user
rm .profile
but long term you'll be better served by finding a text editor you're happy using from the command line.

Cheers,
Jan

BIg Phat Jan/Kaspernj do you have any plans to get a GUI/micro b extension going for this app? If not this would be an ideal candidate to put in brainstorm.. I could do it if you dont want to. You've done the hard bit, a front end GUI would make this that more attractive for the end user and a bit of a killer app for the N900..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chrisp7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
a front end GUI would make this that more attractive for the end user and a bit of a killer app for the N900..
Agreed....would be fab.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
BIg Phat Jan/Kaspernj do you have any plans to get a GUI/micro b extension going for this app? If not this would be an ideal candidate to put in brainstorm.. I could do it if you dont want to. You've done the hard bit, a front end GUI would make this that more attractive for the end user and a bit of a killer app for the N900..
Agree, that would make it excellent, though I'm not sure it should go through the official repositories. Perhaps Qole or someone else can help?

Thanks to all for this. Installed from the repo with no issues. Added the alias and just downloaded my first file which popped into my video clips directory. Excellent work guys!

+1 for the extension to automate the download.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Imperial College London
Hi Chris,

It might be fun, but I don't think I have the time to do justice to this at the moment - so as far as I'm concerned go for it!

Cheers,
Jan