Yup you're definitely right

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Sure, but if you see a battery hit or just get sick of the rotation you can just issue a kill command on the script from x-terminal at any time, right?
I´m sorry. Lolling here "you can just issue kill...". Normal usage with advanced handheld device here. Let´s hope that developers do not have this mentality

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by slender View Post
I´m sorry. Lolling here "you can just issue kill...". Normal usage with advanced handheld device here. Let´s hope that developers do not have this mentality
LOL, okay you got me there. But hey, in this scenario, you're already hacking the crap outta your phone, right?

In for a penny, in for pound I say.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by BN900 View Post
the problem as i understand it is that the rotate.py script keeps executing itself in a loop every second, which is a bit of a drain on battery according to people here.
You can try this version. chmod +x it and run. It's using the same rotation method as the Python script (which, IMHO, isn't good but oh well) but gets its accel. values from the signals broadcast by MCE instead of constantly polling.

It has two ways it gets the current orientation: It either uses the value given to it by MCE telling it explicitly what orientation the phone is in or it determines the orientation from the axis, like how the Python script does it.
Run dbus-monitor --system "interface=com.nokia.mce.signal, member=sig_device_orientation_ind" while running rotate_app and you'll probably get what I mean.
By default, the value given to it by MCE is used to determine the current orientation. If you find the method too shitty and prefer how the Python script does it, start rotate_app thus: "rotate_app true".

Source: http://www.freemoe.org/users/qwerty12/rotate.tar.gz

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by slender View Post
I'm in no way a serious hacker or developer. The farthest I've hacked is changing application icons, and the most advanced application I've created tells you what number you just told it.

Like I've said in other places: The Maemo platform is as much of a stepping stone for Nokia as it is for people who might want to go into Computer Sciences.

Enough of that later, though.

qwerty12, Radicalz38, I'll try your methods sometime this week when I have time (2 more weeks of Freshman year!).

Rotation methods a plenty, but does anyone have a clue on how to resize the keyboard? (Or even dumping Diablo's Stylus Keyboard somewhere?)
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
So it wasn't so hard to do at all like we were told...

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
You can try this version. chmod +x it and run. It's using the same rotation method as the Python script (which, IMHO, isn't good but oh well) but gets its accel. values from the signals broadcast by MCE instead of constantly polling.

It has two ways it gets the current orientation: It either uses the value given to it by MCE telling it explicitly what orientation the phone is in or it determines the orientation from the axis, like how the Python script does it.
Run dbus-monitor --system "interface=com.nokia.mce.signal, member=sig_device_orientation_ind" while running rotate_app and you'll probably get what I mean.
By default, the value given to it by MCE is used to determine the current orientation. If you find the method too shitty and prefer how the Python script does it, start rotate_app thus: "rotate_app true".

Source: http://www.freemoe.org/users/qwerty12/rotate.tar.gz
Sorry but how do we use this to rotate?
I have run it by typing "chmod +x rotate_app" and it accepts the command but then nothing happens when I rotate my device??

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Sorry but how do we use this to rotate?
I have run it by typing "chmod +x rotate_app" and it accepts the command but then nothing happens when I rotate my device??
Okay, the "chmod +x rotate_app" command only makes the "rotate_app" command executable in it's permissions.

To acutally execute it, just type the following while in the same directory as "rotate_app":

"./rotate_app"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Does anyone know how Nokia's PR1.2 rotation is implemented?

Because when using the Ctrl + Shift + R the apps actually pivot correctly and reformat to fit portrait (well most of them do) whereas with the rotate.py and rotate_app there is no reformatting done and it just only shows half the width???

Surely someone can find out how nokia implemented rotate by studying how the phone/browser app rotates and then implement this method into the rotate_app or the rotate.py script??

Im just asking I aint demanding anything I have no clue how to do this stuff, I consider myself an advanced user but I do not have any linux/python experience

Thanks

Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Does anyone know how Nokia's PR1.2 rotation is implemented?

Because when using the Ctrl + Shift + R the apps actually pivot correctly and reformat to fit portrait (well most of them do) whereas with the rotate.py and rotate_app there is no reformatting done and it just only shows half the width???

Surely someone can find out how nokia implemented rotate by studying how the phone/browser app rotates and then implement this method into the rotate_app or the rotate.py script??

Im just asking I aint demanding anything I have no clue how to do this stuff, I consider myself an advanced user but I do not have any linux/python experience

Thanks
Really? Well haven't tried it yet on some applications but on messaging the screen rotates and the keyboard autofits itself on the screen.
If the Ctrl + Shift + R seems to work better does anyone know how to make a virtual click of those keys using python?