Notices

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
I'll be doing a YouTube series on the "Maemo Browser Wars," as soon as I find time from school work (That won't be until sometime late this month, or June, leaving time for Firefox to go 1.1, PR1.2 to arrive, and -devel browsers to improve).

I'll try to use the more stable version if there is more than one (i.e. preference of -testing over -devel)

Browsers I'll be testing:

Core/Ovi:

MicroB - Core
Firefox 1.0.1 - Ovi (Or 1.1, if it's updated by then)

Maemo.org Extras:

Iceweasel via Easy Debian
Epiphany via Easy Debian

Warning: Installing software from the below sources may lead to device instability and/or loss of data, and the need to reflash your device. I will fully outline any major problems in the videos themselves.

Maemo.org Extras-testing:
Midori

Maemo.org Extras-Devel:
Chromium
Macuco
Tear

Other Sources (Other repositories, or .deb manual installations)
Fennec - 1.1 Nightly Build (as of the recording day)
Opera Mobile - Beta 10 (or higher)

If there are any that I missed, (doesn't matter where it came from, as long as it installs and doesn't brick me...), tell me about it.

Also, I need some judging criteria. I have the basic ideas, (Acid tests, etc.), but I want to see what people look for in a browser.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
So have you started the review?

I expect Firefox to be the fastest (efficient memory packaging) and Chrome to be the slowest (quickest but inefficient).
At least when it comes to opening a several tabs (>10).
Maybe the difference is less for single tabs.

Opera Mini etc will be faster than Firefox but they are Lite Browsers, not like a full desktop functioning like the Firefox, where it stays niche.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Fennec nightly builds are already at 2.0

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
No, I haven't started yet, in the middle of a project, and exams are coming up.

I might find some time this coming Monday.

Plus, I haven't flashed to PR1.2 yet; this week, it's critical for me to have a working MID, so, I'd rather stick with my set of familiar old bugs.

Has anyone found any other browsers? (I'll update the list concerning FF Nightly later.)
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.