OK, I got my N800 booting OS2008 from either flash or a 1GB SD card. Now, this may be a stupid question, but how do I now install OS2007 without overwriting everything I just did? I would prefer OS2007 on the flash and OS2008 on the card.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
jbenny: "OK, I got my N800 booting OS2008 from either flash or a 1GB SD card. Now, this may be a stupid question, but how do I now install OS2007 without overwriting everything I just did? I would prefer OS2007 on the flash and OS2008 on the card."

I believe you can just flash the OS without losing anything that isn't in the flash memory. That is, you will still have your card with OS2008 and a (damn small, if the the whole card is 1GB) partition for data on the card. I think you'll still have the boot manager installed; if not, at most you should have to do just steps 4, 5, 6, and 8 (which isn't that bad).

But I think you won't even have to do that. Report back and let us know!

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Thanks for the "Cloning for Dummies" course. I have been waiting a very long time for this. FINALLY my prayers are answered.

Just 1 thing I would like to know. Can you please add instructions on how to clone the system to the built-in 2GB N810 SSD. I am just waiting for this step and I will try the cloning processs.

Thanks

Thank you very much, everything worked like a charm, but...

I have some trouble getting my internal card being accessible in windows...

Yes, every time I'm trying to connect, it just tells me "Unable to connect via USB. memory card in use: Internal memory card..."

I was searching all over the net and found a guide:

---------------

Making sure you can still see your card when connected to your PC via USB
If you now connect your device to a PC via USB, you’ll get a message stating “Memory cards in use: internal memory card” and your memory card won’t be available to your PC. To get round this you need to edit /usr/sbin/oss-mmc-umount.sh, replace the if block after the line grep "$MP " /proc/mounts > /dev/null with:

if [ $? = 0 ]; then
if [ "$MP" != "/extfs" ] ; then umount $MP 2> /dev/null ; fi
RC=$?
if [ $RC != 0 ]; then
echo "$0: could not unmount $MP"
exit $RC
fi
fi

Note - if you called your mount point something other than extfs, remember to edit the test [ "$MP" != "/extfs" ] accordingly. Your FAT partition will now be umount’ed before being made available to your PC. The linux partition also be available but will remain mounted in your device. This should be safe as long as you don’t try to write to the ext3 partition, you probably only need to write to the FAT partition anyway.

----------

But unfortunately i doesn't help... So what should I do? Help SOS and so on

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
OK, I got my N800 booting OS2008 from either flash or a 1GB SD card. Now, this may be a stupid question, but how do I now install OS2007 without overwriting everything I just did? I would prefer OS2007 on the flash and OS2008 on the card.

The last time I check, couple months back, there is too much difference between 2007Os and 2008Os, your Wifi may NOT work. Report back if it aint so.

bun

Originally Posted by cybic View Post

I have some trouble getting my internal card being accessible in windows...

Yes, every time I'm trying to connect, it just tells me "Unable to connect via USB. memory card in use: Internal memory card..."
My guess is that you have this result when booting from your MMC. Try booting from the flash OS. (Hold down the menu key within moments of pressing the Power button to get your boot menu.)

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

you don't need the blue pill red pill modes.. you can do it from command line in fewer steps than you seem to have taken. I have it all outlined at my blog which also explains where to find everything, what all the commands mean so you understand what you are doing and why, and call all be done from your tablet without needing your desktop.

Last edited by schmots; 2008-04-09 at 15:18.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I believe you can just flash the OS without losing anything that isn't in the flash memory. That is, you will still have your card with OS2008 and a (damn small, if the the whole card is 1GB) partition for data on the card. I think you'll still have the boot manager installed; if not, at most you should have to do just steps 4, 5, 6, and 8 (which isn't that bad).

But I think you won't even have to do that. Report back and let us know!
I thought I would lose the dual-boot capability if I re-flashed. I was correct. Re-doing the steps you suggested put the dual-boot back.

Now I can play with OS2008 a bit more. I had installed it before (overwriting OS2007) but quickly reverted to OS2007 because of that damned doubling of characters. I can't believe that anyone can use OS2008 with that problem. At least with dual-boot, I can experiment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbenny For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
I thought I would lose the dual-boot capability if I re-flashed. I was correct. Re-doing the steps you suggested put the dual-boot back.

Now I can play with OS2008 a bit more. I had installed it before (overwriting OS2007) but quickly reverted to OS2007 because of that damned doubling of characters. I can't believe that anyone can use OS2008 with that problem. At least with dual-boot, I can experiment.
Thanks for the feedback on re-flashing and needing to re-do those steps.

What do you mean by "that damned doubling of characters"?

Help Save This Forum

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
My guess is that you have this result when booting from your MMC. Try booting from the flash OS. (Hold down the menu key within moments of pressing the Power button to get your boot menu.)

Sure, but it's a bit annoing always to reboot just for copy some files onto the intern MMC, isn't it?