Active Topics

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ California
Anybody order a Mondi yet? It is showing "in-stock" and shipping directly from Samsung - order here

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I wont be ordering one without an Android, Ubuntu, or Mer version (well, or Maemo, but we all know that wont happen).

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
I for one am very interested in getting a Mondi. I was hoping they would improve than anesthetics though.
You mean aesthetics. You hope they would improve the aesthetics (which means beauty) of it. Anesthetics are the drugs doctors use to put you to sleep.

Maybe you're hoping Samsung would include sleeping agents to let you sleep while WinMo loads the screens you select?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
Anesthetics are the drugs doctors use to put you to sleep.
Well, the only way you could cope with windows mobile is with an unealthy dose of anesthetic

Last edited by luca; 2009-07-24 at 16:49. Reason: Correct spelling of anesthetic, thanks to a big dick

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Well, the only way you could cope with windows mobile is with an unealthy dose of anhestetic
I'm sorry. I know this is coming off as me being a huge dick, but did you just misspell anesthetic? I mean really, I know its not a common word, but you have the correct spelling right there in my quote to look at and you misspelled it?

I am getting tired of people misspelling ****. Earlier today I saw Ashton Kutcher misspell responsibility on Twitter as responcibility. Pathetic.

But yes, you are correct, without a core 2 duo in your mobile, you're probably going to be waiting for **** to load in WinMo and thats pathetic as well. How hard is it to get some decent software loaded on these damn devices? I mean son of a *****, they've had 2 years to learn from a good example in the iPhone. Its smooth and the interface doesn't get in your way generally (even if it Apple doesn't let you do half the **** you want to do).

Last edited by mmurfin87; 2009-07-24 at 15:58.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I'm sorry. I know this is coming off as me being a huge dick, but did you just misspell anesthetic? I mean really, I know its not a common word, but you have the correct spelling right there in my quote to look at and you misspelled it?
Oh, thank you, I corrected it. And yes, you are a huge dick sir

I am getting tired of people misspelling ****. Earlier today I saw Ashton Kutcher misspell responsibility on Twitter as responcibility. Pathetic.
You really follow Ashton Kutcher on Twitter ? And you are a spelling buff ?

Usually you don't see these 2 combination go hand in hand.
But again the twitter generation and the twitter phenomenon (140 chars) are not really known by its correctness to spellings. Its a bit like SMS too. These medium force you to turn away from correct spellings to stress on brevity in spelling. But thanks for stressing on the spelling thing - as long as its not a thorn in people's side.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ australia
Is Windows Mobile that bad?
Is't there a wealth of apps for it?

This device looks quite good, can't see why so many negative posts

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
I could be wrong but I thought the reason that the N810 Wimax died, was because everyehere else except the US already has a reasonable mobile network suitable for data transfer?
Then the iphone came and looks like the US will slowly work it's way towards 3G/GSM, and none of the other international carriers want to invest in a new technology when they can make do with the current roll outs and investments?

(I know there is one place in the UK with wimax, but the big roll out that was supposed to happen, just didn't)

In which case there is little point in having wimax?

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Boston Harbor
Originally Posted by MSchievelbein View Post
I am still confused, if I buy one of these, can I get rid of Winsucks off from it and put Maemo on it?
Why on earth would you run Maemo on some NIT clone(obviously what it is) when you can migrate to a full blown Debian install(wow deja vu) or maybe something smarter? o_O

Should be able to. Nokia's device can. Since Samsung is stepping up to the plate on this I'm going to assume they're trying to make something better. But I've been wrong before. :\

I almost missed it but it kind of bothers me that you can't configure a Windows powered box to your liking. Both of my computers run the same Windows OS and the several linux VMs I run make certain experiments easier without taking up too much space or power. I run Windows as my main OS because I don't rely on linux partitions and I have yet to see a linux with even quasi-good hardware acceleration in a tiny footprint. It's obvious my Zen Vision MP3 player runs some hacked up copy of Windows CE and it works well. It's very stable, compatibility isn't an issue, insane battery life and it can be a USB host(meaning I can network it as a storage device and start a dead computer with it). But Windows does not belong on a MID. Period. All of this Windows OS code bull relies on crappy architectures that have only been designed to expand from the same design as their predecessor. Thanks Intel!

Translation: All of the NEW chips that Windows is DESIGNED to run upon(Intel, AMD, Rise, IDT...Anything with an x86set), carries the same instruction data as the very first that were designed. 16 bit code? Yeah. 8 bit? Probably and on and on. Since they all needlessly consume so much power for stuff that we NEVER use anymore, any Windows device would be terrible to rely on if you need a lot of uptime. The bottom line is that the CPU is junk. So why does my MP3 player work so well? It's not a MID and the CPU probably isn't some x86 thingy because of this.

My development environment is too damn big. This Nokia thingy is changing that rather fast. Now if I could network this device to my Zen Vision as a storage supplement, it would be invincible. :\

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
No. Maemo is only on Nokia tablets.
Then I guess I'm not running it in my x86-64VM...
Maemo is everywhere. Look for the 5.1 build flying around.
Even if it is a development environment, it would be really nice to see the NIT interface running on a crappy x86 box. It would give so much life to a network box that can't keep up with today's Windows. Nobody likes the linux learning curve but there isn't one with the NIT. It really is a great device.

Honestly I think ARM is going to be the most common chip in a year or so.

Last edited by daemonforce; 2009-07-28 at 09:53.