Posts: 75 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Uruguay
hello, sorry to bother but i'm in a hurry.

Today i was taking some pictures with Fcam, then the phone shutted down and i had to turn it on.

When it turned on, there is no icons, no wallpaper and there's no fonts, instead i only see squares where fonts should be.

Cant access it with nokia suite, i put it in suite mode (other option goes mass usb device) but nokia does not discover it.

I tried to reflash it, but, flasher dont find a suitable usb device, the driver is correctly installed and i pluged the phone while holding "u" key. Also it appears on windows device manager.

I can only use it as pendrive because is the only way it works.

I can also enter via ssh, since i could find how to enable WiFi. But i dont know what to do next, i can see the whole filesystem but cant tell if something is wrong or blocked, every file permission and owner seems to be ok.

Please,. i need urgent help, i have a meeting in the afternoon, i scheduled yesterday so is not yet in any backup, i lost my contact info. meeting address and etc...

Help, this has to be fixable using command line, but i-m not very good on linux.

Thanks in advance, my job is on the line if i loose the meeting because of this phone.

Just to update, the whole filesystem seems to be locked in read only mode. I cant do anything even as root under terminal, everything says cant write here, cant write there.

Last edited by RichardN900; 2013-07-27 at 00:04. Reason: Title change.

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
I dont know if it works on N900 but theres folder called .backup in N9. It has contacts and messages backed up and I think Nokia pc suite can read those files.

All my contacts and everything is backed up, but i dont care to loose anything else, almos t everything is old enough as to be in my memory or reconstructable.
I scheduled this meeting and contact yesterday, that didnt went to any backup and i cant reme,ber anything except the first name of the person i talked to.

There-s no .baclup folder that i can find here.

If i cant bring the phone back to life i cant put more time on it, it started to go bananas some time ago.. Camera-ui closing, ok i reopen it, video recording feezing, ok, take it again.
e-mail giving error entering an infinite open close loop, ok, unistall and kill anything related.

But this is it, is too much, cant have a phone intended only for those who develop for it. Today i was about 1 hour trying to understand how to reflash it, a couple hours searching if there was a fast reset for configs, now i spent another hour or more trying to enter filesystem, using apt, etc...

If this morning i would walk 2km to buy a new android phone (wich i-m considering to buy for some time on) at this moment i would have a working phone and a meeting to go.
Just because i tried to keep this piece of machinery, now i have probably got into trouble with my work, lost a phone, lost a very important new contact ang got p..sed of..

I guess my first Android/Windows phone is going to be here tomorrow and this would be the last time a Linux/dobyyourself device gets in beteen me and my work to make me loose time and a job. (since is not the first and have not been few)

making fsck had no effect

damn my N900 died the same way this week. Wondering what's going on!?

My usb connection died a long time ago so I always swapped batteries when they were empty and last weekend after a reboot I noticed my desktop being weird. Some widgets were missing, some others were added (the "Get Started" thing and some that are probably in the factory default settings). Also there were no messages and a bunch of other things were missing or not working (like the email application error loop you mentioned).

After some checking apparently my fat32 partition wasn't mounted, so I tried to do that manually (gave me a NFS handle error). Fsck'ing the partition didn't do a thing so I gave up and just used it a few more days as a simple phone.

Well and two days ago I once again swapped the battery and upon booting all fonts were missing, replaced by squares and I had what looked like a simple GTK theme on the buttons and stuff. :/

My guess here is that the flash memory chip died.

Last edited by MONVMENTVM; 2013-07-26 at 18:05.

Well... some hours later... new phone in the pocket, my Galaxy Ace2 is working and saved my life and work. 5 minutes after i bought this phone i received a call from the other person, i explaine what happened and everything else went fine.

I was fidling with the N900 trying to find something anywhere, and i noticed a couple things.

The first, i touched cssu config in the menu that opens with power button and inside there, text was perfect.

The second, in that same place i noticed a small cursor (like the one on your computer screen that you move with the mouse) that moved to the place i touched.

So i guess, and only guess, that this may be an issue with the display driver or the desktop config.

Anyone who could give some advice? I've been few hours with the new phone and i'm desperate for my keyboard...

OptFS filesystem corruption - happened, when your device crashed. It wouldn't be anything serious, probably, but CSSU tried to fsck it at startup, and segfaulting e2fsprogs messed up filesystem.

If you had backupmenu backup, restore it. If no - reflash. As for your reflash problems, try different machine, different OS (liveCd linux?), etc. It's quite common problem.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Ok, thank you Estel i will try other computers, maybe over Linux.

I dont want to lose the N900, i'm about to start to hate android and touchscreen only writing on such small device.

Will try and tell.

YEYYY!!!!!
[crazyface]Is aliive...
Is aliiiiiive...
[/crazyface]

Well, i had to make a full reflash on a compuiter with 32bits windows (Win8 BTW) since none of my computers using 64bits windows allowed me to do it.

Now... I have to recover almost 3 years of software installing and customizing.
This is gonna hurt surely. I tought that Nokia suite's full backup backed up everything... But it does not.

Anyway, i'm now starting to get it it motion again to try stop using the new phone (Samsung with android) wich is making me crazy, but not because of software issues... for hardware crazyness.

I never lost signal with my N900, even inside elevators, basements, etc... (never tried underwater) this crappy 400 US dollars samsung loses signal in plain street.

And the worst thing is that this s..t came with a faulty audio jack, but, since is a mechanical damage, warranty does not cover it. I'm starting to hate Samsung, so, in order to keep my almost good relation with that brand, i hope i can start using my Nokia as soon as possible.

Thanks Estel, i revived my wonder machine only because you said i had to try different computers, otherwise i was convinced the phoen was completelly unrecoverable.

I recommend you to install backupmenu from now, and do regular full backups now and then. That way if your phone ever goes ASDF it is one click away to recovering ' 3 years of software recovering and customizing '.