I just got a Nokia n810 off of Ebay just recently and Im very new to this and saw somewhere online that I could get Vista on it, but it didn't seem possible so I figured I would ask here.

If its possible to get either Vista or some other windows based operating system that would be cool too.

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
Boy!!! These "Junior" members have absolutely no respect for our beloved Nokia Tablets.

bvoss... you should be drawn and quartered!!! What a vile thought putting MS crap on our Tablets!!!

Omega

The Following User Says Thank You to omegaone37 For This Useful Post:
Sorry, to answer you question it is impossible to put Windows Vista on any Nokia tablet however, it is possible to add Debian Linux or KDE which are very robust operating systems that give similar funtionality to some Microsoft Windows operating systems.

Easy there Omega. The reason I asked is because I use microsoft word alot and other microsoft programs, so it would be nice to at least get it on here so I can carry it around at school instead of my laptop. Ive been googling some programs compared to that but nothing seems to be substantially close.

And to Migs, I basically had a feeling it was impossible and too good to be true for it to do that. But tell me more about this Debian Linux or KDE systems. Or at least a Link that can help me out.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
The search function is your friend. There are many word alternatives, aka Open Office.

Also, you CAN run Word in either the Mac OS 8 emulator (Basilisk), or DOSBOX. In fact, you can even run Windows 3.1 - 95 very slowly. Also, there is a Palm emulator, which allows you to run DataViz's Doc2Go.

In Debian, there are many options for word, like Open Office, abiword, etc...

KDE has the Koffice suite, which is not as good as Open Office, but still works...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Do you know where I can get a good download for Open Office?

got to www.gronmayer.com/it
install all repositories on to your tablet
then search under application manager under all
search for root you'll see a pink icon come up install that
a 2 gig sd card will be needed then you should have open office

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@bvoss325: Do not go and install all the repos from gronmayer. It will mess with your ability to apply official Nokia updates later. Just look around on the forums here. I don't have an exact link but there are plenty of safe ways to install open office that don't involve adding all the repos from gronmayer.

@Ropesend: I know you're trying to help, but please don't suggest this to people. I've already had to help a couple of them fix their systems after doing this.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Do not go to gronmayer. It is old and generally crappy.

If you have the "Extras" repo, that should be good enough. Look for easy-debian, and install it. Comes with Open Office.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

given the amount of space vista takes and the minimum/recommended RAM of 512/1gb respectively, it would be impossibly slow even if you could port it :P