but the internet tablet the n810 is near perfect when it comes to music download....streamtuner and streamripper,vagalume are where its at cat,so for me thats perfect,the email notification is good too for average email user,the readers are good for quick news but the real problem is that the content should suit the machine and not the other way round...thats an industry right there.....producing content that is easy for devices to use...

Actually what really bugs me about the web broswer is the inconsistency; what I mean is this: Use the browser to get to YouTube and the video playback isn't that good, use myTube to play video off YouTube and its excellent. Why?

And why is the Flash pretty much useless; the BBC websites (that I read all the time) don't play at all nice with Flash enabled, its now worse than ever, all I get after several MINUTES of loading is 'There is a script error that will make your Browser Run Slowly, cancle the script?' which always appears twice.. But I can watch those same flash movies with no difficulty in mplayer? It seems that the n810 has the power to actually do things right, but the software seems to be holding it back.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by BigTony View Post
Actually what really bugs me about the web broswer is the inconsistency; what I mean is this: Use the browser to get to YouTube and the video playback isn't that good, use myTube to play video off YouTube and its excellent. Why?
mYTube plays flash content with MPlayer which is optimized for video media on N8x0. Flash on the other hand is a RIA plugin which has to do a big number of other things and is not very optimized for this platform (at least leaves that impression and its closed so you can't improve it, only Adobe). Also to the slow speed contributes the fact that the flash parts are embedded in an html page which has layout that the browser has to render and support while you browse, click and generally abuse it. Probably there are other factors too. The performance improved over time, but the flash sites get more and more harder to support on a slow device - for instance the Youtube movies became wide very recently - that's at least 1.5x resolution. There's more HD sites now too.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2009-01-01 at 19:35.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
The next version of the Internet Tablet will help with internet browsing troubles, with both a large bump in processing power and Adobe increasing optimization for that processor type. However, it's just a matter of time before webpages become even more robust, using tools in ways they weren't really intended. Look at the videos describing why Google Chrome has a freaking JavaScript compiler.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Flash on the other hand is a RIA plugin which has to do a big number of other things and is not very optimized for this platform (at least leaves that impression and its closed so you can't improve it, only Adobe).
If you feel likely taking a stab at improving Flash performance on the tablet, there is the open-source GNASH replacement. It's decently capable (can play YouTube videos at the least) and intended mainly for ARM platform.

Last edited by tom61; 2009-01-01 at 21:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom61 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Nah, if I undertake another project I will probably die. I also don't understand a thing of optimization for ARM

I think the OP is right in the sense that the device is presented as 'the internet in your pocket' while it isn't the same internetexperience as on a pc. On the other hand it's a bit naive to expect that from such a low powered device. Also I find it surprising that a rant topic like this goes on for 65 posts.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2009-01-01 at 22:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to iamthewalrus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
I think the OP is right in the sense that the device is presented as 'the internet in your pocket' while it isn't the same internetexperience as on a pc. On the other hand it's a bit naive to expect that from such a low powered device. Also I find it surprising that a rant topic like this goes on for 65 posts.
You are right, the N810 is slower than a PC but acceptable particularly for such a small device. No smartphone with browser can beat this device with versatility.
The javascript engine is slow but works very good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skatebiker For This Useful Post:
Hey everyone, I changed my mind, I like the N810!

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
"Had to go to the Doctors... I told the Doctor 'Doc! It hurts when I walk this way!!!!'...

Doctor said 'Well then... don't walk that way!!!' "

Regards...

Omega

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omegaone37 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MenoRikey View Post
Hey everyone, I changed my mind, I like the N810!
Just curious...

Why?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!