Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Al Quds, Isawiya
thanks for this useful app

but there is one thing that is really disturbing:
it starts in big font (shift) and it changes automatically to big font after every point.and i have to click 3 times on the shift button to go back to the small font.

and im using it combined with the cssu
when i write a new adress in the web browser i cant click go to or enter.

maybe this can be fixed in the next update.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
So I just developed an interesting bug - after a lot of recent reflashes, I was reinstalling everything over the last week or so. A day or so ago I installed FastSMS and FastSMSEvo; afterwords the normal vkb was still popping up (I could've sworn that normally the stock vkb is replaced right after install, but I shrugged it off). I only rebooted about a day later, but after I did, the N900's virtual keyboard stopped appearing (whether stock or FastSMS... yes it's on in the text input settings). Also, FastSMS itself won't start from the app menu.

I have ran apt-get install --reinstall on FastSMS by itself, and both FastSMS and FastSMSEvo.

I thought it might have to do with my wierd keymap arrangement (I have my hardware kb mapping set to "us,nokia_vndr/rx-51(ru)" (see the remapping keyboard page on the wiki, under multiple layouts, to understand why it's like that). So I tempirarily set it back to just "us" and reinstalled both FastSMS and FastSMSEvo again. Same issue.

I'll post back to see what solves/doesn't solve it as time permits.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
@MT check out this new vkb, I prefer it to fastSMSevo

MCIP:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1011920

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
@MT check out this new vkb, I prefer it to fastSMSevo

MCIP:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1011920
I've seen that. I honestly don't see enough in MCIP to want to switch yet.

I like FastSMSEvo better for now in at least some ways - one, it comes with Russian, which I actually use. Two, aesthetically, I like FastSMSEvo SO much more for now. The only advantages of MCIP are the copy/paste/cut functions, and the input of Chinese characters (which is useless to me without the input of other Asian characters too, namely Japanese).

So it's not quite good enough to switch yet. Plus I'd rather figure out what my problem is, rather than ditch the program - especially when this guy is the guy who first offered us a good portrait and vkb that, barring Asian characters, is currently the most versatile vkb on the Maemo 5 platform.

I still can't use it because it covers the entire screen except for a thin layer at the top in portrait mode. If I'm entering text in portrait mode, it's one handed and I'd rather not stretch my thumb up to a tiny strip at the top to hide the keyboard.

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
Any way to make FastSMSEvo autostart on boot cause normally when i reboot my phone & when i go to conversions to type a message then it takes a long time to load the virtual keyboard...

I can literally see the CPU usage spike till the vkb is opened...

funkmunk: you'd have to make a script in /etc/init.d/ or /etc/event.d/ to make that happen. Originally realsportscars had something like this implemented, but it caused fastsms to restart every time hildon-desktop restarted. I suspect he had it in /etc/event.d, tied to hildon-desktop. I think putting it into /etc/init.d and tying it to hildon-desktop should work well enough though. (You'll still need to wait a little bit longer when you boot up the phone, but it won't be as noticeable as when you're waiting for the vkb to load.)

Btw, realsportscars, we figured out my above bug in the FastSMS thread. It was QT mobility having problems with multiple IM accounts being enabled for the same serivce. (I.E. I have multiple GMail accounts set up, so QTMobility fails to work, supposedly.)

i just want to know if theres a way to permanently make the keyboard like this small and if theres a way to move the space bar a little bit on the left i keep hitting the enter by mistake...

The Following User Says Thank You to Changegames For This Useful Post:
just want a report of shutting down when selecting the option. This happens after I update to the latest CSSU. Now I'm stuck at using t9. tia!

same thing. i'm experiencing the same issue after the CSSU update.

btw, is there a way to get a blinking cursor to appear in the text box of fastsms or fastsmsevo? and a way for it to run in the background so that start-up times are faster?

Tags
keyboard, portrait, wikkid