Posts: 383 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Those come with Windows8, right?
I do not know for sure but before getting one I'd recommend checking that the bootloader can be unlocked: At least some of the windoze-devices can only boot signed OS'es which makes it pretty impossible to install another OS on the device.
(and who nowdays wants to run W8 on their device???)

In Finland too we only have Nexus4 and Nexus7 in stores.
It is true there is huge difference of 7" and 9"/10" which is why I am looking forward to what the Nexus9 will be like
I have searched a little bit more on this.
They have managed to run other OS'es on it
Here is a video running ubuntu and here there are some more details on xda...

I am actually really impressed seeing it run games like far cry 3 and assassin's creed black flag (maybe not on top graphics but yet it is cool )

My concern is if I will manage to get the one with the keyboard dock and the 500GB, will I be able to install some things on the 500GB, or it will be like having a space for saving files?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bill_klpd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bill_klpd View Post
Yeah I have seen some stuff about ubuntu touch..
Does it work like real ubuntu on a pc(same apps and stuff) or it is different?

I would love to have a real ubuntu image installed on a tablet if ubuntu touch does not give you all the capabilities.
Like juiceme said, the display server is different, but in theory applications should be ported relatively easily. And most applications in the desktop should have an Ubnuntu Touch counterpart equal in functionality and data formats (to get "desktop convergence").

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
I am starting thinking seriously about collecting money for tha asus t100! :P

After seeing some videos I am really impressed! It can even run games that my laptop can't even open and I will be able to use it as a tablet too.

juiceme I don't know why, but well known stores here in Greece does not really sell nexus products and I don't know why!
but I will not take the nexus 7 mostly because of the screen. I don't know about the 10..
If you have money to spare, why not? But personally, I think premium tablets are a risk if you are not familiar with the format and the limitations. I'd whet my appetite first with an inexpensive and low risk device like the Galaxy Tab 2. They also have a 10 inch model, but I like the compact factor better.

I prefer not to buy new technology if I can help it, as it depreciates too rapidly and it's not worth it buying the latest when you can buy 2 year old stuff that has been proven to work for a fraction of the cost.

Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
But personally, I think premium tablets are a risk if you are not familiar with the format and the limitations.
What do you mean? I have never had a tablet before so...

What might be the limitations for the T100TA for example?

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
What I'd call low budget is buying a 2012 Amazon Kindle HD for 50 USD on Ebay. Those 7 inch models are easy to repair in case you run into trouble.

For the price of your proposed low budget options my whole family of 4 each has one.
If you like you can spend some time putting full glorious Android on it or just take a shortcut by paying for http://n2aos.com/ which takes about 10 minutes to install / remove.

Compromises: no SD card , only 1GB RAM,

But beautiful screen colors!!!

Why spend more on Android?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
What do you mean? I have never had a tablet before so...

What might be the limitations for the T100TA for example?
My point is that because you haven't used a tablet before, you might not find it as useful or convenient once you actually get to use it. Things that might sound cool now might become a nuisance in actual use.

For example, gaming on a tablet os a pain in the arse in my opinion, because using on screen touch controls is annoying and very imprecise. And if you add a keyboard or a game controller, then you might as well buy a cheaper, more useful, 2 year old compact laptop.

But if you want a tablet to mainly surf the web, read books, listen to music, watch YouTube, etc, then one of the ASUS tablets is a waste of money because you will be underutilizing the hardware.

How about having 2 devices instead of 1? Cheap tablet like a Galaxy Tab 2 with expandable storage (and a compact bluetooth keyboard with integrated mousepad), and a laptop for use at home?

Another thing: At least the early generation of Asus Transformer tablets have a non-user replaceable battery. That to me would kill the deal right there. The Galaxy Tab 2 is non-user replaceable too, but I can tolerate that on a $150 device, not so on something 3 times more expensive or more. Just my honest opinion.

Take my comments with a huge grain of salt though, as what annoys me might not be an issue for you.

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2014-10-16 at 10:57.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
What I'd call low budget is buying a 2012 Amazon Kindle HD for 50 USD on Ebay. Those 7 inch models are easy to repair in case you run into trouble.

For the price of your proposed low budget options my whole family of 4 each has one.
If you like you can spend some time putting full glorious Android on it or just take a shortcut by paying for http://n2aos.com/ which takes about 10 minutes to install / remove.

Compromises: no SD card , only 1GB RAM,

But beautiful screen colors!!!

Why spend more on Android?
That's another good option, yeah. Either that or the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

I will think all of these...

The main idea is to have a tablet for programming in it and use it in university both for reading and writing as well as surfing the net etc.

I can imagine that playing games (pc games actually) in touch screen will be just stupid after all, but with the keyboard dock and a mouse it will be good I think!

I was thinking for the T100 because it is a tablet and a laptop and it will for sure be handy in one way or another. I have to admit that I haven't thought anything about the battery actually (are there tablets with removable batteries?) but let's say in 2 years, if the battery does not work as it should, will I be able to disassembly it and change it?

As I said before I don't really want a 7" tablet(there are many good 7" tablets out there in much more less money actually). The thing is that 10" tablets are more expensive

The Following User Says Thank You to bill_klpd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
My point is that because you haven't used a tablet before, you might not find it as useful or convenient once you actually get to use it. ...

For example, gaming on a tablet os a pain in the arse in my opinion, because using on screen touch controls is annoying and very imprecise....
Mostly I agree, these devices good for books and reading / watching static web content.

But regarding gaming, it depends. For example, the Pinball Arcade is very good on a tablet and one of the few reasons to own one .

Productivity wise Windows tablets would be better but if you play a game like Pinball Arcade on Windows with tablet hardware such as the budget Asus T100 and its energy efficient but otherwise slow processor, you feel the graphics hardware is lacking to run a full blown windows game, even on directx9.
On the Android platform the graphics and controls have been adjusted for optimal usage with the weak hardware and touch screen input respectively.

Also, make sure that you purchase a tablet with a display which allows to dim the backlight low enough to be able to read in low light without too much eye strain!

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
I will think all of these...

The main idea is to have a tablet for programming in it and use it in university both for reading and writing as well as surfing the net etc.

I can imagine that playing games (pc games actually) in touch screen will be just stupid after all, but with the keyboard dock and a mouse it will be good I think!

I was thinking for the T100 because it is a tablet and a laptop and it will for sure be handy in one way or another. I have to admit that I haven't thought anything about the battery actually (are there tablets with removable batteries?) but let's say in 2 years, if the battery does not work as it should, will I be able to disassembly it and change it?

As I said before I don't really want a 7" tablet(there are many good 7" tablets out there in much more less money actually). The thing is that 10" tablets are more expensive
Sorry, I didn't realize that you definitely didn't want a 7 inch tablet. There are some 8 and 9 tablets too. As for 10 inch, there is also the Galaxy Tab 2.0 10.

I think Toshiba makes some Windows tablets with user replaceable batteries. I don't know how easy it would be for you to replace the battery yourself on an Asus Transformer, but it is not convenient at the leasdt, and most definitely would void your warranty. So you are stuck with either taking a chance, or sending it for replacement with all your data in ot (another inconvenience).

Yes, a keyboard dock and a mouse would improve a tablet's ergonomics a lot. We called those laptops.

But seriously, man. Get something you like and would enjoy. Just consider all the cons as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post: