Posts: 130 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ India
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
It seems I'll need to buy a new phone is some more or less distant future, so I'd like to gather the opinions.

Suppose your old N900 is bricked. Which one would you choose and WHY? Don't forget the price differences
I would buy a N900, because its cheap and imho neo900 is waaay pricey and all you get is your n900 with some new life. Dont get me wrong its a fine project but imo its just not worth the money if youre no enthuasist. Jolla has taken a direction i dont like (mer/libhybris instead of debian/ native X11 or Wayland, still the main reason is definetly mer). So yeah in this condition i would actually have no choice but buying another N900. Btw why no ones talking about Pyra ?

Last edited by Sohil876; 2014-10-01 at 18:49.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sohil876 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
from perspective of someone who still using N900 but display (touch) again acting weird and also thinking about new one.........
Why another N900? Well, it's good and it's cheap. Why not? Well, it 's most likely fcuked up one way or another.
Why Neo900? For me, there's no reason. I'm not following it closely, but if 3.5" screen is the only option than that's enough. Since you like to tinker with them much more than I do, maybe you can find yourself in one of them. But when is it coming?
Why Jolla? Well, it is kind of like logical step and if I did have 400€ a year ago I would probably buy one. And because it isn't tied to gazillion online services that I don't use. Why not? Well, because of everything that can be found about it here and on the net about it. OK, still the most wanted one on the market but I still can't justify 350€ for it. Why? Because, while updates are coming and Jolla is trying I'm not sure that their strategy will turn out in the way I was/am hoping. Simply put, they talk to much about android support in sailfish and porting sailfish on android devices.
Since at the moment I need phone only as a phone, I have 24/7 acces to laptop and internet and for killing time when I go somewhere I have tablet with The Pinball Arcade on it and it is 3G so I can use it for browsing I would buy something cheap, like Moto G or something like that.
But If I would have 350€ to spend, then Jolla despite of everything.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Get a cheap used N900!
First: you have to flash it and it feels superfast (when compared to your current ).
Second: it is cheap
Third: you seem to not know what you want yet
Fourth: you will get some time to decide going the Neo or Jolla way
Last: you stay with us!

Need more?
Ad 3: I love my moribund N900 for:
0. true multitasking, it's me who decides
1. good hw kb (can't imagine my life w/ virtual kb only)
2. installing &updating apps with apt-get; terminal (it's Linux!), decent shell where you can run your own script.
3. the possibility to tinker with it, experiment, simply have fun
3.5. Fully manual internet connection!
4. awesome photos
5. resistive screen
6. fm transmitter, IR (yay!) - not that useful in everyday life but sometimes.;
7. software: OMP I know no better MP with lyrics on any other system generally averagely better quality apps than in Harmattan.

In decreasing importance.

Because of 0 and 1, Android, iOS, WP are no way

What I miss on N900: lack of some apps, that the system core is outdated, bugs in apps such as camera-ui2, performance (but performance is not that bad0 - you can cope with it)

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Last edited by marmistrz; 2014-10-01 at 19:31.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan

What I miss on N900: lack of some apps, that the system core is outdated, bugs in apps such as camera-ui2, performance (but performance is not that bad0 - you can cope with it)
Well that's why we need to find a way to at least run android apps on the N900. By Dalvik or Chrome or Chroot, there at least one solution i think!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Greece, Athens
Well I am a guy that had a nokia n900 for 1 and a half year and after the usb breaking down, I moved to galaxy S3...

Personally I think that n900 is only good(right now) more for using it as a tablet!
It is not that fast as many, many other phones out there and it can be a little annoying using it as a primary phone. I don't have a jolla, so I don't know how it feels like in real hands but I think that it is a good alternative for moving on if you don't like the android/iOS phones.

For the Sailfish OS (from a small port on galaxy s3 that I had installed) I can say that it is a great operating system and it should be keep updating! It should be a pity to see it going down just like what happened with harmattan(another beautiful OS!)

The only "bad" thing about jolla is that there are some complaints about the support, and the hardware that is used is a little more outdated considering the phones right now, but yet it is not bad! Plus you will have the other halfs, something that is unavailable to other phones!

As bluefoot stated, I would prefer to have an android phone with a port of a fully working sailfish OS(with the ability to install android apps on it as well), this could be the best choice I think...

P.S.: I hope to get a n900 in the near future as well! I really like that phone and I think that it is a legendary phone! After all, I like all the twerking that I was doing to it! Maybe a n9 would be cool too for me(it was always my "dream phone", I don't know why )

Last edited by bill_klpd; 2014-10-02 at 18:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bill_klpd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
I'd replace it for another N900 for the time being.
Exactly. Jolla is too closed/limited, Ne0900 is vaporware that, in my Humble opinion, will never get released, and if it does, it will be 2/3 broken and soon abandoned due to some rage quit/internal conflicts in management team. I don't see future for that device.

N900 in used condition is so cheap, powerful and moddable, that you can use it well for many, many years to come, until some *real* geek alternative appears. Or since you take part in creating such alternative

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Greece, Athens
Ad 3: I love my moribund N900 for:
0. true multitasking, it's me who decides
1. good hw kb (can't imagine my life w/ virtual kb only)
2. installing &updating apps with apt-get; terminal (it's Linux!), decent shell where you can run your own script.
3. the possibility to tinker with it, experiment, simply have fun
3.5. Fully manual internet connection!
4. awesome photos
5. resistive screen
6. fm transmitter, IR (yay!) - not that useful in everyday life but sometimes.;
7. software: OMP I know no better MP with lyrics on any other system generally averagely better quality apps than in Harmattan.

In decreasing importance.

I would say that I agree with you except of some things!
The camera and the resistive touch screen!
There are many phones with a better camera, n900's now for me seems average... And for the touch screen I hate that resistive screens lack the multitouch.

But ir/fm transmitter were some epic things to have in a phone
It's a pity that there aren't many phones with these features anymore(I was really happy to see that newer galaxies had ir thought )

Last edited by bill_klpd; 2014-10-02 at 00:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bill_klpd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ India
Originally Posted by bill_klpd View Post
And for the touch screen I hate that resistive screens lack the multitouch.
Me too, i dont know whats so good about resistive technology beside the advantage that we can use a stylus, i got no problem with a capcitive screen i would actually prefer a capacitive screen and i would love the double tap to unlock which is possible with capacitive screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sohil876 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
well, they are very unprecise. I hate them each time when I have to move text cursor on 7" device. It is faster to delete the word and start over.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Exactly. Jolla is too closed/limited, Ne0900 is vaporware that, in my Humble opinion, will never get released, and if it does, it will be 2/3 broken and soon abandoned due to some rage quit/internal conflicts in management team. I don't see future for that device.

N900 in used condition is so cheap, powerful and moddable, that you can use it well for many, many years to come, until some *real* geek alternative appears. Or since you take part in creating such alternative

/Estel
unfortunately the hardware is not moddable I was hesitating about Neo900, but after reading your thoughts... i prefer to stay with my N900. This is my second N900 since 2010 after testing a galaxy Nexus. Except the great apps, android does not have this "feeling" i have with the N900. Unfortunately again new devices are faster and on this point, the N900 will still lack something.

Anyway i'm still in love with the little "click" when I open or close the Keyboard and i'm using it daily, trying to find alternative apps like modrana, Yappari fettuccine, linguine and so on!!!

Last edited by Boemien; 2014-10-01 at 20:15.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:

Tags
cheering neo900, rofl!!!!!!