Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
I agree with benny1967. I am longing for a MeeGo tablet for instance with a 5" screen, wifi, gps, bt and forward facing camera. And of course, without any cellular capability.
But see here you're talking about features that MeeGo has nothing to do with. This is your wishlist of things you want to create an ideal device. You are saying nothing in the vein of what the OP is asking and is about.

In addition to this, you're putting words in Benny's mouth he never said!

Please separate your dreams and wishes from actual facts!

Last edited by cjp; 2010-04-15 at 12:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
IMO Maemo is a good OS designed by people who understand tablets, but who do not so well understand mobile phones. Hence no mms, no portrait mode, yadda yadda.. Meego offers the hope of getting away from that mentality, and offering a genuine OS for mobile phones which is fully baked with all the features we'd expect in a modern handset.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I expect overall security to be better in Meego if it follows de facto RPM-distribution policy that all packages should be GPG-signed.
This current situation with Maemo and unsigned deb-package installations with wget+dpkg is intolerable, because also developers do it and one targeted MITM-attack can infect the whole community easily now without traces who did it.

I do not know if Meego and OpenSUSE has good SELinux support, but I hope Meego will get it. Fedora nowadays, after couple of years trial and error, has good SELinux-support and it is expected that all Fedora compatible RPM-packages are SELinux-aware.
Debian supports GPG signed packages as well, at least in Lenny+. Unfortunately most of Maemo 5 is built off of Debian Etch, so no GPG signing to be seen. This could easily be added though, so I don't know why it isn't.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
meego will be better than Maemo5 if they stay on the idea of recreate all the ui with C++/Qt which is far better than C/Python GTK+ : this way, UI beauty, animations, fluidity, speed and energry consumption will all be improved.
And the idea of being using QtCreator with real-time usb emulation on my N900 is great IMHO !
the only dark spot on meego for me is using RPM/YUM instead of DEB/APT-DPKG ....
I can't wait to see harmattan (Nokia's Meego 1.0) UI which will be in Qt4, because what i've seen from moblin 2.1 handset (Intel Meego 1.0) is far from perfect and isn't Qt ! However, even with Intel's Ui, i could have some fun because there are some good ideas....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBootroo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
....and what happens with my 59 euro Sygic maps I bought?Would Sygic port their GPS software for free for those of us that paid for the software.....

So many questions are lingering into the air.....only time will tell.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
But see here you're talking about features that MeeGo has nothing to do with. This is your wishlist of things you want to create an ideal device. You are saying nothing in the vein of what the OP is asking and is about.

Please separate your dreams and wishes from actual facts!
The OP was asking what sets MeeGo apart from Maemo. benny1967 said "I expect to have more choices with MeeGo.".

I was agreeing with his statement and providing an example of why MeeGo would be better than Maemo in terms of hardware. Sorry if you felt it was off-topic with respect to the OP question. I think a big advantage of MeeGo is that it will bring alot more hardware choices to us. Not everything about MeeGo is about the OS/UI, IMO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Ok, regarding the n900.

There is:

MeeGo open edition - no gui - Downloadable image - no phone or battery software

MeeGo Nokia edition - no gui - Downloadable image - phone and battery software included (closed source)

MeeGo gui - Nokia developed - not publically available yet - developed privately

MeeGo gui - x86 only? - publically available including source code

Is that right?

What concerns me is that the Nokia binary-only software is closed. This means as MeeG0 changes over time we rely on Nokia to keep binary-only software maintained.

What happens if incompatible changes are made in MeeGo and Nokia stops maintaining the binary-only software. Any updates to n900 are then royally screwed and you are stuck with last working version of MeeGo?

This is a concern to me.
I know it sounds paranoid but AMD/ATI did this with their closed-source drivers for older cards(> 2years old!) and I have to rely on open-source 3d support (unfortunately nowhere near as optimised as the proprietory drivers).

Originally Posted by TheBootroo View Post
meego will be better than Maemo5 if they stay on the idea of recreate all the ui with C++/Qt which is far better than C/Python GTK+ : this way, UI beauty, animations, fluidity, speed and energry consumption will all be improved.
And the idea of being using QtCreator with real-time usb emulation on my N900 is great IMHO !
the only dark spot on meego for me is using RPM/YUM instead of DEB/APT-DPKG ....
I can't wait to see harmattan (Nokia's Meego 1.0) UI which will be in Qt4, because what i've seen from moblin 2.1 handset (Intel Meego 1.0) is far from perfect and isn't Qt ! However, even with Intel's Ui, i could have some fun because there are some good ideas....
My thoughts exactly. Just adding the more future proof and better support for portrait.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
But see here you're talking about features that MeeGo has nothing to do with.
MeeGo has a lot to do with them as it will allow vendors to build exactly the hardware that EIPI is waiting for.... and that Nokia doesn't seem to be interested in...

In fact, I feel EIPI understood better what I said than you did.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Debian supports GPG signed packages as well, at least in Lenny+. Unfortunately most of Maemo 5 is built off of Debian Etch, so no GPG signing to be seen. This could easily be added though, so I don't know why it isn't.
Package signing goes back much further than that--it was present in Potato and probably before that. Many (most?) "nonofficial" official repositories use gpg signing also, like Debian Multimedia, but this doesn't prevent anyone from downloading unsigned .debs and installing packages that way.

The n900 comes with a trusted keys keyring although I'm not sure what it's used for. Regardless, it's a matter of Nokia using security tools already available in .deb and .rpm package management, and not a package format problem.

Tags
just because