Aaron Seigo (prominent KDE developer) mentions a few things that the KDE team is doing with respect to the Meego platform.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...ure-of-KDE.htm

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Oh great!

It's bad enough that I use bloated Gnome & bloated KDE on my laptop.

Now KDE on MeeGo!

Yikes!

That's like fitting a fat person into a leotard!

As Lewis Black put it when talking about wearing a speedo. "It's looks like you're carrying grapes in the wrong spot."

Gnome and KDE are really only bloated when compared to OpenBox, Fluxbox, Enlightenment, etc.

But then it's pretty slim when compared to Windows 7 and Vista.

Anyhow, I think the plasmoids would be pretty cool on Maemo, or for that matter screenlets or adesklets ported would be pretty sweet.

Regardless, in my opinion, more apps the better! It's not like you'll be forced to use KDE or it's apps.

Considering that most of Maemo will soon be using QT 4.6 as it's main toolkit, KDE apps would be a great fit.

slaapliedje

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
QT and GTK are great libraries.

But just because KDE and Gnome uses these libraries is does not mean they should be used.

Let's see what happens with KDE it might be quite interesting.

But let's stay away from pre-fixing every KDE app name with the letter 'K. Same for gnome too.

E.g. Kalc, kwrite, gedit & gthumb

It sounds like Kf***ing speech impediment.

What I like most about MeeGo and Maemo is that they are very kompact installations.

I'm VERY happy to hear the KDE team is targeting the Meego platform. It will be very nice to have OS apps available from a number of sources.

I am very excited about Meego. I've waited for something like this for a long time.

Last edited by me2000; 2010-04-14 at 18:53.