Notices

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
If people are suggesting other sites how about LinkedIn and get some of the corporate bods on board too? The data is more formally structured too so parsing should be simpler.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 186 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin TX
Originally Posted by naabi View Post
Jesus guys, you definitely need to stop flashing your devices because of these kind of issues. Problem seems to be quite trivial, even though didn't put much thought on it when browsed through the code.
It works sporadically. Usually after reboot and only for the retrieve feature.
Any workaround?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Strive_Masiwa View Post
It works sporadically. Usually after reboot and only for the retrieve feature.
Any workaround?
There's a patch on the above reference #6768 which I will try to release this weekend. I don't see how a reboot would ever fix it - it's a temporary problem caused by Facebook's web server not returning the information the documentation says it will.

Given its intermittent nature, and the timescale in which it appears, I suspect it is caused by the API not being fully up-to-date with the widely publicised changes to Facebook's privacy settings, and that is a bug in Facebook which I can work around.

Is there anyway to get hermes to update the contacts status messages from their facebook status? Or is there another app I should be using to do this?

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Anyone else have the issue that pictures are not brought back for certain contacts but other info (i.e. the profile url) is?

Is this them setting privacy options or a bug?

also some of my friends have the same names it would be nice to be able to choose which profile goes to which names

Originally Posted by zombiepig View Post
Is there anyway to get hermes to update the contacts status messages from their facebook status? Or is there another app I should be using to do this?
The two options here are:
  1. FriendStatus
  2. The Telepathy Facebook chat plugin (see here and here)

Unfortunately, within Contacts they come from a Telepathy roster contact. There's no underlying data structure for Hermes to manipulate.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Anyone else have the issue that pictures are not brought back for certain contacts but other info (i.e. the profile url) is? Is this them setting privacy options or a bug?
I'm almost 100% certain it's a privacy setting. The recent changes Facebook have made with their privacy settings may have improved this situation ;-)

Indeed, I now get my brother's picture through where before I didn't.

Originally Posted by greyw0lf View Post
also some of my friends have the same names it would be nice to be able to choose which profile goes to which names
Is this #6475 or do you have two contacts on your phone with the same name? Either way, you'll have to manually map them, but at the moment Hermes is a bit too eager and doesn't recognise that it really can't make a decision here.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
If people are suggesting other sites how about LinkedIn and get some of the corporate bods on board too? The data is more formally structured too so parsing should be simpler.
I'd love some LinkedIn love. Unfortuneately, everyone seems to think the world revolves around Facebook. I asked for MySpace support and got responses of "irrelevance" and "outdated". MySpace is much bigger and more popular than LinkedIn, so be prepared to have to campaign and convince. Some guys don't get that all of these networks serve a purpose.

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I'd love some LinkedIn love. Unfortuneately, everyone seems to think the world revolves around Facebook.
I don't. And I'm the developer. So mine's the only opinion that matters :-)

If you'd like LinkedIn support, or any other network, some help with the triaging and issue management would be appreciated.

In particular, https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6533 needs to be resolved as INVALID (as Andre points out, one issue per issue); new enhancement requests for each service need to be created (and ideally a comment added to #6533 pointing people at the correct issues for each network) and then people vote on it. This'll allow me to prioritise the work.

When raising an enhancement for a social network to be added, the following info would be useful to include:
  • Generic or friends oriented? i.e. is it a service which will provide information for anyone (such as Gravatar) or one where you have your own friends (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter)
  • URL: Homepage of the service. Saves me a Google :-)
  • Developer API: does it have one? If so, the URL to its documentation would be fantastic.
  • Fields supported: what fields from this service would be useful (assuming the API exposes them)
  • Identifier: the main identifier which'd link a user in the address book to a profile on this service.

Given the passion expressed in these different posts, I look forward to it translating into some assistance :-)

I asked for MySpace support and got responses of "irrelevance" and "outdated". MySpace is much bigger and more popular than LinkedIn, so be prepared to have to campaign and convince. Some guys don't get that all of these networks serve a purpose.
Given I've not spoken to you, this is practically disparaging and is certainly discouraging. What anyone else said about MySpace isn't important; however if you can provide as much of the above information as possible in a new Bugzilla entry, it's more likely to be done :-)

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
well i have two contacts with the same name in my phone and in facebook but hermes decided to select one from facebook for both contacts and i cannot change it as it only shows one of the contacts on the hermes list

Tags
application, birthday, contact, contacts, facebook, fremantle, hermes, information, jaffa, maemo, maemo 5, photo, photos, sync, synchronization, twitter, url, website