Hello,

I read that the N810 has a built-in CHESS software. Can someone tell me if is is a robust programm (not only for playing against other peoples, but also against the computer, and for learning chess).

Can you post screen shoot of the N810 chess Progrann ?

many Thanks

RE: chess on the N800 (not N810) - yes, you can play against other people in addition to the computer (are you asking if you can play against others online? is so, no). and yes, the program has the ability to "show legal moves" which would assist those learning the game. I imagine these features would be included on the N810 (but have no idea if they are).

However, the chess program installed on the N800 is awful (against the computer). it frequently crashes, and it always crashes after you beat it. in fact, the game never admits defeat - it always says it won after every loss! it has a basic repertoire of opens and it's end-game is lousy. it's mid-game isn't bad however. i can't differentiate between levels except for time-taken between moves - supposedly processing but it seems to make the same moves repeatedly in the same positions.

personally, i hope that the chess game installed on the 2008 os is substantially improved.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Eboard for the N800 is excellent, and Xboard would also be excellent if a bit more work was put into it.

Playing against a computer is basically boring. You can find human opponents 24 hours a day at FICS and at other places. Eboard makes it very easy to log on to FICS (Free Internet Chess Server).

The chess program Nokia released for the N800 is terrible. I presume the 810 chess program will be equally lackluster.

geneven - i'm having trouble installing Eboard. any suggesitons? i've followed this advice: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=5712

but i'm still stumped
thx

I agree that the default chess program that comes with N800 is pretty good in the middle game. And true, it never accepts its defeat! Is that intentionally written that way by the developer? But beating it is quite easy and I wonder if someone can port the crafty engine to N800.

EBoard didn't install on my N800 either, I don't remember what problem it was reporting. I tried and failed with XBoard too. Maybe I will have another go at it. (Good support for Chess on N800 is too important for me, if any developer is listening...)

The backend for the chess game is opensource iirc, it might be worth looking into how to hook into the GUI (with crafty or other engines). Perhaps a gentle ml prod/bug report (assuming the glue code isn't already available of course) would produce some documentation to help this.

As mentioned, I can confirm the N810's chess game allows player on player or player on computer (4 levels of difficulty). W(/o) sound effects. W(/o) legal moves. Undos. Unfortunately, I cannot compare with the N800 as I don't have one next to me. Even on EASY, the computer kicked my butt each time. Quite humiliating. Still, it was fun to play. Nice animated drags.

Originally Posted by prosthetic View Post
As mentioned, I can confirm the N810's chess game allows player on player or player on computer (4 levels of difficulty). W(/o) sound effects. W(/o) legal moves. Undos. Unfortunately, I cannot compare with the N800 as I don't have one next to me. Even on EASY, the computer kicked my butt each time. Quite humiliating. Still, it was fun to play. Nice animated drags.

Thanks for the infos.

Can you tell me if the game also has some learning tools, some opening libraries, and more important, if it is possible to "set up a position" and then to start a game from that position (to create a position that you want to study. Mostly used when your teacher gives you exercises)

Ps: could you send me some screen shots of the chess game ( poter@skyner.be). Thanks

Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
Thanks for the infos.

Can you tell me if the game also has some learning tools, some opening libraries, and more important, if it is possible to "set up a position" and then to start a game from that position (to create a position that you want to study. Mostly used when your teacher gives you exercises)

Ps: could you send me some screen shots of the chess game ( poter@skyner.be). Thanks
It is not possible to start at a set-up position. The configuration of this game is very simple and designed to be easy to use. Unfortunately, that means it doesn't have such capabilities for learning moves.

As for screen shots, I'll leave that to Thoughtfix or someone else. Sorry. If no one shows screen shots for a while, I'll put some time into posting some.

OK, the built-in chess programm is not so good...

But, are there out there some chess programm that have been ported to the N810 and that are better ?

Eboard and Xboard seems to be promissing, but still in "beta" conditions ?? Are stey "stable" ?