Will it work?

I'm not gonna lie, Maemo is godawful. Its just plain bad. Whereas I use Ubuntu on my PC frequently, and would love to have a little mobile Ubuntu to take places with me. I heard Ubuntu Mobile was gonna be based on Maemo, which makes me sad kinda, But wouldn't that mean that there will be full support for The N800 and others?

No. Ubuntu Mobile is developed for Intel MIDs. MIDs use a x86 based SoC. Nokia uses the ARM architecture.

Damn. I guess I'll wait for OS08. If thats not better, I'll just sell mine and get an Eee.

What exactly is godawful with Hildon/Maemo?

I think you're confusing Ubuntu with Ubuntu Mobile; and the Ubuntu Desktop Experience with the Ubuntu Mobile Desktop Experience - which are for most parts completely different.

Ubuntu Mobile is based around Hildon and that means it'd pretty much be the same as Hildon in terms of the way its used. And having now been able to use KDE and Hildon on the same Tablet device I can clearly see why Nokia have designed things the way they have.

Maybe you're not sure what you want in a portable device?

Alternatives:

http://www.pokylinux.org/ (N800 support is in alpha)
http://dev.openbossa.org/trac/mamona (also quite alpha)

Just saying.

OT:
I rather expect I'll have an Eee once the Meroms come out --- since it runs Windows XP (in theory), I can get probably get it on my corporate network (which means corporate subsidy, yay!)

I am also eagerly waiting for the announcement of Eee PC's release date. I can run the full-fledged GNU/Linux distributions on it! If only it had expandable memory storage(but I can use USB HDs).

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by efb View Post
I am also eagerly waiting for the announcement of Eee PC's release date. I can run the full-fledged GNU/Linux distributions on it! If only it had expandable memory storage(but I can use USB HDs).
The Eee has an SDHC slot so, provided you sell your first-born, you can get another 16 -- and even 32 -- GB on it.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
The Eee has an SDHC slot so, provided you sell your first-born, you can get another 16 -- and even 32 -- GB on it.
by the time the eee comes to the US, the SDHC prices should be more like 'arm and a leg' expensive....

Originally Posted by yabbas View Post
What exactly is godawful with Hildon/Maemo?

I think you're confusing Ubuntu with Ubuntu Mobile; and the Ubuntu Desktop Experience with the Ubuntu Mobile Desktop Experience - which are for most parts completely different.

Ubuntu Mobile is based around Hildon and that means it'd pretty much be the same as Hildon in terms of the way its used. And having now been able to use KDE and Hildon on the same Tablet device I can clearly see why Nokia have designed things the way they have.

Maybe you're not sure what you want in a portable device?
Oh I know what I want. I came in thinking that it was LINUX. And that it would run LINUX Apps. Whereas so far I can get a handful of apps and thats it. I suppose I was just expecting more from it.

Well, it is Linux. It does run Linux apps.

The problem is that we're using an architecture that's not well supported yet (ARMEL instead of ARM: IT2005 would take packages from most anything ), a windowing system / UI convention that's currently only on these devices, and finally, older libraries than present on the other ARMEL distributions.

OS2008, and the increasing popularity of Hildon, ought to resolve most of that.