Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
I believe Quim has stated that these are separate teams and one's schedule does not impact the other's.
Whatever a Novell employee wants to explain about MeeGo is even more independent from Maemo 5 work, obviously.

fwiw Novell has been working on netbook integration and application development since the Moblin days, and they continue to do so in MeeGo.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
question is there any pictures around anywhere of a pre release of meego running on an n900 im just interested in what it looks like...

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
Originally Posted by lucas777 View Post
question is there any pictures around anywhere of a pre release of meego running on an n900 im just interested in what it looks like...
you can only see a "xterminal" type of window... like what they said.. its only for dev(for now)

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I know that MeeGo on the n900 is visibly just a terminal but some sexy eye candy showing the GUI stuff would be really nice.

Just to clarify "sexy eye candy showing the GUI" should mean:
(a) pretty lady holding n900 with MeeGo installed or
(b) screenshots of current progress of GUI or
(c) (a) and (b)

So is this the actual UI we will be seeing in harmattan/MeeGo?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
So is this the actual UI we will be seeing in harmattan/MeeGo?
No. People are talking about three UI-s in this thread (hello branding confusion). The first is the MeeGo desktop (as in netbooks, maybe tablets) reference UX, which is the one that is announced for April. The second is the MeeGo mobile (as in phones) reference UX, which has no announced date yet, but I guess it should be part of the 'full' MeeGo release, which is said to be in May. The third is the Harmattan GUI, which is the Nokia customization of the MeeGo mobile reference UX, due 2010H2.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
No. People are talking about three UI-s in this thread (hello branding confusion). The first is the MeeGo desktop (as in netbooks, maybe tablets) reference UX, which is the one that is announced for April. The second is the MeeGo mobile (as in phones) reference UX, which has no announced date yet, but I guess it should be part of the 'full' MeeGo release, which is said to be in May. The third is the Harmattan GUI, which is the Nokia customization of the MeeGo mobile reference UX, due 2010H2.
That's made things alot clearer.

This maybe a bit off-topic....

Can I assume that the current MeeGo release for the n900 has a fairly complete set of core-components and most stuff that will underpin the GUI is already present?

1) If that is the case then MeeGo "desktop" gui (due in April) can be installed on the current n900 MeeGo installation?

2) Can the Meego Mobile gui be installed onto the n900 MeeGo installation (e.g. an app that allows you to make phone calls)?

3) Is Nokia's version of Mobile gui totally seperate or does this just mean Nokia have developed additional components?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Can I assume that the current MeeGo release for the n900 has a fairly complete set of core-components and most stuff that will underpin the GUI is already present?
Correct, these core components are provided by Qt.

1) If that is the case then MeeGo "desktop" gui (due in April) can be installed on the current n900 MeeGo installation?

2) Can the Meego Mobile gui be installed onto the n900 MeeGo installation (e.g. an app that allows you to make phone calls)?
Technically yes, but it's anybody's guess just how useable will these os-chimeras be on the N900 in real life. The most difficult will be with the phone part, as it's a closed-driver thing and without any documentation I know of. Nokia DID provide a separate image with WiFi/BT drivers for the initial code-dump, but AFAIK the GSM stuff is still missing.

3) Is Nokia's version of Mobile gui totally seperate or does this just mean Nokia have developed additional components?
This is pretty much unknown ATM. As it's relatively easy to make new GUIs with Qt, I'd expect significant differences (as they said a while back that it's the UX layer where they expect the most vendor customization), especially in components that are closed source (say, Media Player ? Was closed in all previous releases, we have yet to see its status in Harmattan)

Last edited by attila77; 2010-04-09 at 11:02.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for clearing that up.

Just get ready of 1000 posts next week asking about these same things and lots of confusion Can't wait.