Notices

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
So: WTF?! I have nothing else installed that could possibly interfere with a python program, or that taps into the system of the tablet. Why won't the blasted thing update mce.ini?

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Thanks for sticking with it... Can you try to run /usr/bin/mcedit.py from the terminal and post the output (make sure to try saving)? I'd like to get this ironed out...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
Thanks for sticking with it... Can you try to run /usr/bin/mcedit.py from the terminal and post the output (make sure to try saving)? I'd like to get this ironed out...
I started mcedit from xterminal, changed powerkey doublepress to softpoweroff, hit save, confirmed save and my entire tablet froze up, requiring a powercycle.

I'm really annoyed when I have to reboot a Linux computer; it usually means something's fecked up real good.

I "more-d" /etc/mce/mce.ini and found it to appear in perfectly normal condition, the kind of condition I tend to find it in before I used to start tampering with it -- which I repeat not having done in this installation.

See here, I'm going to be honest; right now it's starting to look very tempting to just install Midnight Commander and just do the changes manually.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
running it as user gives a hang indeed.

interestingly enough, its possible to access the power buttom dialog and reboot that way, but hildon-desktop seem to refuse input (except ones, when i got a dialog about mcedit not responding).

running it as root gives the message that root is not in the sudoers file.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
OK... I've figured it out. The command it was running in mcedit.py was wrong, because I didn't put python in the sudoers file, I just put /usr/share/mcedit/mcemv.py in the sudoers file. Darn me having a line that allows me to do anything with sudo... Attached is a deb of 0.0.8-3, which corrects this bug, and should be in extras-devel shortly.

Thanks, everyone, for helping me figure this out... Remember... this is BETA software :P
Attached Files
File Type: deb mcedit_0.0.8-3_all.deb (9.5 KB, 127 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
This version appears to work. Thanks very much. There was no "update description" however, nor a confirmation of save, but I don't really need those.

Again, thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Glad to hear it's working now. As qwerty12 pointed out, the update description will only show up if you are upgrading from the repository. I actually don't really care for how this field works, because it hides the description, and only works from repositories...

You're right... there is no confirmation of save. The only confirmation you have is closing the program, opening it again, and checking if the changes persist. I'll see if I can implement something like this, along with a warning dialog if you close without saving changes.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ €@$T Montreal Quebec Canada
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
This version appears to work. Thanks very much. There was no "update description" however, nor a confirmation of save, but I don't really need those.

Again, thanks.

Woot that's issue need a good beer for celebrate this one!

Glad all work for you Bro

True you made a very good work man
Tx again!!
Led810 folow
French Noob

BorgTheme ¤ BorgSounds ¤ BorgStartUp ¤ BorgClock

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
@TrueJournals

Any chance that this could be modified to configure systemui.xml?

BTW: If you keep this up, you'll be giving khertan a run for the most apps I have installed! ;-)

matt

Last edited by Snoshrk; 2009-04-05 at 01:06. Reason: osk typos

One idea I had was to give the ability to enable all power button menu items (perhaps, it would be a menu item in the program). mce.ini and systemui.xml are very closely related, so this really isn't out of the question. While the original purpose was just to edit mce.ini, I would love to expand this program to edit other system files. First, though, I have to finish the mce.ini part of it:P

A while ago, someone brought up the idea of creating a TweakUI of sorts for the tablets (don't remember who). I've been wanting to write one myself, but didn't really know where to start. Well, I think I've figured that out

[edit]The relevant post by Benson

Last edited by TrueJournals; 2009-04-05 at 01:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:

Tags
advanced, mce, settings