Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I vote Dallas. Or maybe Austin.
Yeah, Hawaii is a bit out of the way. I could go for Texas, that one's easy.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Weird. I just saw the OSiMWorld list for the first time, and I'm not on it! That means either there's been a mix-up, or I was purposely not sponsored to go.

I've e-mailed Mr Gil, but he hasn't responded to me before now, so I doubt he'll respond now...

That means I'm flying into Berlin 3 days too early. I guess I'll be a tourist.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I've e-mailed Mr Gil, but he hasn't responded to me before now, so I doubt he'll respond now...
Yeah, well, he is on vacation.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Weird. I just saw the OSiMWorld list for the first time, and I'm not on it! That means either there's been a mix-up, or I was purposely not sponsored to go.

Thats a shame, maybe its just a mix-up? With Quim Gil on vacation I have no idea who you could contact to sort something out he did say that the registration was done the first week of August

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I just saw the OSiMWorld list for the first time, and I'm not on it!
<snip>
That means I'm flying into Berlin 3 days too early.
Check the OSiM World Brochure PDF. I find it doesn't provide the level of clear detail included in similar brochures from other conferences I've attended, but it appears you will be able to attend the DevSeshes* for free. You might be able to attend the keynotes and/or the show floor as well, but the brochure doesn't spell that out.

If you are able to enter all those events and areas for free, your days will still be fairly full. I exchanged some email messages with Quim before his vacation about this option, thinking it might be better if he didn't spend money on getting me into the "streams".

* 1. native application development for Access Linux, 2. partnering with Motorola on mobile applications, 3. Intel Atom processors and Moblin technologies, 4. Maemo, 5. Google Android 6. ???

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
No offense to any US resident but if you keep a summit in US, your NIT (or any electronic device) while travelling can be confiscated by Customs for an unlimited amount of time for no stated reason whatsoever. I'm sure there are tons of other reasons why one would not want to visit the US. Europe, and any other country I'm aware of, is much easier to access in this particular regard.

One could always host an unofficial meeting of some kind. For example a hackathon.

I wonder if Nokia will be represented at FOSDEM 2009? I'm looking forward to that even if it'd be non-Linux/non-NIT (e.g. other N-series or Symbian) related.

Kein problem: Viel.. spass..!

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
No offense to any US resident but if you keep a summit in US, your NIT (or any electronic device) while travelling can be confiscated by Customs for an unlimited amount of time for no stated reason whatsoever. I'm sure there are tons of other reasons why one would not want to visit the US. Europe, and any other country I'm aware of, is much easier to access in this particular regard.
Psh, Europe is no better here. Every place sucks, the US isn't unique in that regard.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
I have decided to clone myself. I hear there's a renegade clinic in Berlin that does cloning while-you-wait.
Time travelling is also a choice, if planned carefully.
If they could get a database with videos it would be really nice for those who can't make it, or for those who can but can't get to all the conferences.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA

It does say at the end of that list...

And more!

You must be "more".

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm hoping that (1) there was a mix-up and/or (2) I can get a lower-tiered sponsorship, that is, if it costs something to go to the floor show, etc, Nokia will cover that (but not the Developer streams stuff)... If I can get in the door of the show, but I can't go to the developer stream stuff, I will be glad to sit at the Maemo table for as much time as you need me there...

Worst case scenario, I'll be visiting some nice museums, etc.

PS: YoDude, that "And More" is the title for the next session. Ha ha.

Tags
maemo.org