Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
well what I wouldn't classify as unecessary thickness would be to have dual front facing stereo speakers
Maybe I just haven't heard very good stereo speakers in a smartphone, but I'd say they are useless. As the idea of stereo sound is that you have two channels far enough from each other, and playing slightly different tone which brings the 3d effect to the sound. While phones are still relatively small (read: less than 1,5 meters long), the speakers must be very close to each other. Your ears will not find a difference between the tones of these two speakers. So it still sounds like having only one speaker. Mono sound may sound quite nice actually (for example Tivoli Audio radios play mono). So I'd rather go with one, probably higher quality speaker than two lower. But this is mostly offtopic anyway.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
A second battery will be only useful for hot swap
So maybe to still grab that feature it might be possible to add a (large) capacitor to keep the device going for 2-5 seconds?

On screen resolution, please go with fhd 1920x1080.
I own moto z as you know and the 2k screen is useless apart from showing off, viewing photos and playing games maybe but obviously drains the battery more in any situation due to more effort to render up to 4x more pixels than fhd depending on actual resolution.
Also in arm length distance there is absolutely no difference to make out imo.

Last edited by mosen; 2018-03-02 at 16:10.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
So maybe to still grab that feature it might be possible to add a (large) capacitor to keep the device going for 2-5 seconds?
In my understand, a large capacitor might not be enough - not sure if user can always perform the swap that quick. It's no good if he drops the phone in a hurry

In general capacitors are combined with "cold swap", in contrast of "hot swap" which directly changes battery.

Cold swap normally needs to set the device into hibernation first, then change battery, then wake the device and resume from where it was left. It require certain effort from software as well, but in this case a large capacitor is enough powering the time.

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
On screen resolution, please go with fhd 1920x1080.
I own moto z as you know and the 2k screen is useless apart from showing off, viewing photos and playing games maybe but obviously drains the battery more in any situation due to more effort to render up to 4x more pixels than fhd depending on actual resolution.
Also in arm length distance there is absolutely no difference to make out imo.
I personally never understands the needs of 2K screen on a handheld, apart from drain more battery and put more pressure on GPU. The pixel depends on which type of screen is used but with 5.5-6 inch even with pentile I can hardly see any visible pixels (maybe I'm getting old haha) I completely agree with you on this. And I don't know why the mainstream uses 2K screen on high-end (even some 4K ) and even some tech bloggers review 1080p device screen as a con instead of a pro... Microscope eyes

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
How do you think with the boarder-less screen? Like the latest Samsung or iPhone 10 etc... Like the majority touch surface is the screen (on top of a keyboard, of course)

I personally against it for 2 reasons: 1. Vulnerable to a drop. You are guaranteed to break something on a drop to the ground... 2. Might make edge swipe more difficult. I'm not sure on this point as I never tried swipe OS on such screen, but a little bit of bezel will make the experience better IMHO
I got the chance to borrow a friend's S8 which has both borderless screen and curved display (that's what we call 2.5D I think ?).

Edge swipes are working great on it !

When holding the phone, my fingers tip where not above the screen (just resting on the edge, but that may depend on phone/hand size ratio), but on the opposite side, I had the base of the thumb (metacarpal part) partially covering the screen edge.
There must by some hardware or software mitigation for that, like palm detection on touchpads on laptops, because even with that, i could trigger easily edge swipes with the thumb from extreme edge of the screen.

Having the 2.5D screen in this case helps I think, as the thumb is always on the screen when triggering the edge swipe and not switching from the case to the screen, with feels a bit less comfortable.

Don't take this post as a will to have a border less screen, only a feedback that it could actually work quite good. Depending on the price and availability or your options, that kind of solution shouldn't be put away against usability issue fear.

And I too would be happy with a 1080p screen. Even the Jolla 1's resolution. Quality is more important than pixel count to me. In that regard AMOLED would be a must, but not sure it could be available...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I do not see the point in a battery hotswap feature on the Livermorium. It would add complexity, bulk, development time, and extra work on the design/engineering/software for very little benefits. Few people would actually benefit from it, and in very rare situations. Also, if you drop your Livermorium, I believe a reboot is the least of your concerns, it will undoubtedly be more fragile than, say, a plastic N900 with pretty big bezels and great shock absorption.

The Neo900 should come with a hotswap feature when it's out (I hope), but this guy is a different thing. It's a very hacky device, and its future users may have already accumulated several battery replacements over the years for their aging N900, especially as many N900 were overclocked and ate significantly more battery. These people are likely to carry several of these when travelling with their Neo900. The booting time of a N900 is also a lot longer than Sailfish on a Jolla 1 (we'll see about the Neo900), let alone the more recent Sailfish devices, so it made more sense to avoid reboots. Finally, I think the feature just came with almost no trade-offs because there was space for this thanks to the extra thickness necessary for the Neo900 board, which will likely not be the case for the Livermorium. And if there was any lost space in the Livermorium case, I'd definitely stick a long slim capacitive stylus there instead of a capacitor or a few mAh of battery.

Chen will have to settle the final design to make it happen anyway, we can't suggest new features every few months or this will make it hard to move forward in my opinion.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-03-03 at 17:53.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
There appears to be some devastating news for Moto that looks like it is going to affect Chens keyboard mod. I wonder what that means for this project as well.

Chen is quoted towards the end.

http://pocketnow.com/2018/03/08/leno...(pocketnow.com)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
There appears to be some devastating news for Moto that looks like it is going to affect Chens keyboard mod. I wonder what that means for this project as well.

Chen is quoted towards the end.

http://pocketnow.com/2018/03/08/leno...(pocketnow.com)
cheese up...It might be a way to free up some time for this project. bad news might be bad news or bad news is good news. who knows. I am always sceptical ...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Note also that capacitors are very large - about 100x the size of a battery with the same capacity.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
Thanks for the link. Looking for more details, I found out Chen is answering a lot of questions and giving informations on the IGG page : https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/k...to-z#/comments
For example:
I know it’s been so long and I feel really sorry for that… Trust me I did my best on our side, but I understand this sort of problem at Moto, a huge impact…

Think this way, at least we managed to solve nearly all the other issue ourselves or with Moto, and OTA server setup isn’t very complicated compared with previous difficulties. At lease we are no longer in the middle of development.
It affects both versions. For the batteryversion we need to have the signature file to make it official and licensed, for both we need to activate OTA server in Moto. The issue is now the team used to work for 3rd party mods has disappeared, we need someone to complete this for us. I trust it will still be done, but at least will be after this restructuring/layoff finishes.
There is functional restriction with uncertified Mods, at this stage it’s not considered – I also need to be able to sell this product into market to pay the debts for production and R&D. And we have passed all the tests I still believe it can be done, just needs to wait a bit until someone from the other side recover from the situation.
what I understand from here, there are potential troubles on two timescales :
* short term : they need some actions from motorola to be ready for production. Those actions should have been carried by the team that was laid off in Chicago. From his comments, it looks like it should still be possible (problem being not technical, but missing the person doing it), but may take some additional time.
* long term : there may not be a future motomod compatible phone (still too early to be sure of anything on that front...), so could limit sales and revenue after the current phone are phased out. Hopefully, there will still be enough sales to cover R&D costs, and keeps them afloat, and reusing the keyboard design in a future phone like the Lauta-revival Chen talks about could help spreading those costs further (but needs new investments).

Hang on Chen, I hope it will be sorted out quickly.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Nokia Communicator will be back?

https://www.is.fi/digitoday/mobiili/...005648054.html

"Johtajan mukaan yhtiöllä on tuotekehityksessä parhaillaan uusi retromalli. Päätös sen lanseeraamisesta tehdään lähiaikoina.

Onko se Communicator?

– En missään nimessä sulje pois, Rantala virnistää."

Chief Marketing Officer Rantala says that they are developing new retro models. Is that Communicator?

- I do not rule out it, Rantala grins.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen