Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Maybe it suits a simple man like me; I have no problem with sailfish apps.
Dual boot would be fine if native android apps are needed sometimes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Maybe it suits a simple man like me; I have no problem with sailfish apps.
Well, me neither when it comes to personal usage. But wen I need to get the job done......... Emailing a few dozen pictures daily is caveman style in comparison with any popular service of which jolla doesn't have official client for any of them. I get that whatsup and viber are impossible but what about telegram or signal? How do you handle excell sheets with 20+ pages?
It should be a smartphone, right? And P800 was more smart than anything with sailfish 15 years later.
Accepting sailfish as it is won't make it better. And keeping it on life support is all jolla is doing. Changing make up on a dead man won't make him alive.
This will be a 3rd generation of "supported" SONY device and yet neither of two prevoius had all the HW working.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Do you really need all HW ?
(even if it was functional)

The Following User Says Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Probably not since I dont use FPR on any device that I have. But the point is that somebody paid for that and midrange xperias are not cheap for what they are. Another thing is that this will be 3rd generation of "supported" device with more or less the same issues. So it's not exactly about HW as it is about current situation with sailfish SW side.
IRL situation is that one needs expensive midrange phone which is a year old when support is ready but not ewrything works. Then another 50€ for running android apps. Meanwhile I got XZ2 with 100xm2 headphones for less than the cheapest XA2 ultra I found.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Feb 2016 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
+1
It's better to use android without google than sailfish with it. Sadly, after all this time, sailfish is then just a launcher and not much more since 6 years after its core apps are still so basic and very limited.
Doesn't make much sense. If someone can use Android without Google, then he can use Sailfish with Aliendalvik without Google apps too in this comparation and better to use Sailfish with Google which can be enabled only part of time than Android smartphone. I think situation with amount apps for SFOS isn't too bad if SFOS has better browser but for me is worse the situation with HW. I'm using old Nexus 4 with bad working digitizer (in middle screen touch doesn't work) and old SFOS (2.0.5.6) and if I want to buy new smartphone with SFOS what choice do I have? Old Xperia X with Android support 4.4 or Xperia XA2 not fully supported still without Android support or buy some phone with community port without Android support and supported for how long...

Last edited by kuba77; 2019-01-13 at 18:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kuba77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
I agree on the limitations.
For me the idea of buying a phone without:
1. Fingerprint reader
2. Google app support
3. FM radio is very difficult
And yet, the strategy appears to be Xperia XA range.

So, yes, it does indeed appear a safe bet.
Worse comes to the worst: i still end up with a phone with all three of the above.

If Jolla can't supply the above, then regardless of whether they fail on ZX or XA2 or xa3 makes little odds to me.
hmmm, i feel like deprecated is getting all hot under the collar in response to this post.

would it help if I clarify my position by stating that I mean android app support rather than google services? i'm perfectly happy to get my apps from aptoide.

i use the browser for as much as possible - and happy doing so - but there apps for which the browser is not a substitute.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
xa3/xperia10 announced.

on gsmarenas front page.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
I get that whatsup and viber are impossible but what about telegram or signal?
Both have native applications, but not a lot of people working on them, and by 'not a lot of people' I mean one person as a hobby. They do work but the interface isn't always perfect and there are minor bugs. I don't know what you expect when you say you want an 'official client', but I don't think it's reasonable to expect e.g. the Signal developers to work on an entirely new client for an OS with a potential Signal userbase of about a thousand people at most, and Jolla definitely aren't going to (and shouldn't) invest any efforts into creating those clients themselves. If all you want is to get rid of Android applications, you can at least replace these two with native applications already.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Xperia 10 could be an interesting port with it's large screen..?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nerip For This Useful Post:
i ended up not so keen, and jumped on a xa2 plus instead.

not a fan of the non-centred screen, nor to the size of the bezels on the sides.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post: