OK, guys.
Last night, I cracked the glass on my N950. I've been using it for a phone and my N900 for a tablet/ssh/music etc.
My N950 still works, but I need to replace it soon if I don't want the LCD cracking.

I've been researching replacements, and the best I've found so far is a Photon Q:
1. QWERTY keyboard, 5 row
2. Decent processor + ram
3. Screen with more resolution than the N900, making it usable for desktop type apps.
4. Bootloader can(and will be) unlocked.
5. Can work on T-mobile with a quick hardware mod.
6. CM supports it.

I've been looking around and it looks like Android is more useful now than it was - an 'easy debian' like system is available(Xserver XSDL making it all possible).

At this point it looks like a decent option. The only annoyance is that android doesn't seem to have decent multitasking like the N900, nor any window manager.
Is there a way to get this sort of multitasking and "open programs view" like the N900 does? What would it take?

Also, any other decent replacements? Note that I /refuse/ to have a device that I don't control(unlocked bootloader) or no hardware keyboard.

Thanks,

-Rob
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere

The Following User Says Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
The only option: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95650
not at all...
www.pyra-handheld.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
not at all...
www.pyra-handheld.com
Are you going to get one of those? I spent a lot of time reading about them a few months ago, very cool piece of kit!

The Following User Says Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Are you going to get one of those? I spent a lot of time reading about them a few months ago, very cool piece of kit!
I wish I could

I'm in a big financial crisis at the moment, hence they made this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95712

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I wish I could

I'm in a big financial crisis at the moment, hence they made this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95712
Is Pyra being developed? Never seen any real picture of it...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Is Pyra being developed? Never seen any real picture of it...
check out the blog on that website, proto is coming soon

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
soon
Careful with that axe, Eugene. People around here, especially those accustomed to the Jolla vocabulary, have learned to read that word as profanity

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Having used N950 for 4 years and played with Photon Q, I personally don't really like it.

- HW mod seems unreliable. You have to unmount the pre-installed sim chip and solder a micro-sim slot and cut a sim door on the case. The antenna seems unstable depends on how the work is done but there are lot reports of constant signal drop. And antenna performance might not be optimised for global gsm/wcdma. (Although I have to say, N950 signal reception also not so good.)

- This phone is SUPER UGLY. Front and back. This is one of the ugliest phone I have even handed on. Overall build is less robust.

- Worse camera.

- Slightly better specs. Larger screen, better CPU. But it's running Android. Such internal is really dated for modern Android now.

But since N950 is impossible to get fixed, there is not much choice. Maybe a Jolla with TOHKBD.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
It's rumoured that both the SG6 Edge Plus and SG Note 5 will both have official hard keyboards (integrated into a case) purchaseable separately. If that transpires, it's quite likely there'll either be an official or 3rd party peripheral that's similar for the upcoming Nexus 6 (Huawei) replacement. Unlocking bootloaders on Samsung or Nexus devices is very easy.

Something to consider, though obviously a lot more money.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, photon q