Correct me if i'm making mistakes in my thinking process.

I was thinking about the N900, and that i am not buying it yet, and that is probably the reason i started to gather negative points about the device to relativate, which led me to a thing that i actually found interesting to see others, maybe more experienced developers or programmers, with a better perspective, comment on.

Which is, what are the consequences of open source for a mobile computer connected to the internet and gsm network?

What if there was some evil developer to create a trojan, maybe covered by an application, that slowly uses your Data for spamming or what not.
Or even makes undercover calls? sends out your contacts or text messages to marketing 'baddies'.

edit: request: norton for maemo

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Those risks are significantly lower by sheer virtue of the code being open source.

EDIT: maemo shouldn't need Norton.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-18 at 20:43.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I would be more worried about an application I can't see the source code of.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
The risks you describe are not in open source applications but in closed source ones. Should someone create open source malware, other people could spot the bad stuff in the source code. With closed source you don't know what is going on in there.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Devil View Post
Which is, what are the consequences of open source for a mobile computer connected to the internet and gsm network?
No more or less than connecting any other Linux-based platform to the internet. Security is a process, one that many vendors take seriously.

Being closed source provides zero protection, as we have seen time and time again.

What if there was some evil developer to create a trojan, maybe covered by an application, that slowly uses your Data for spamming or what not. Or even makes undercover calls? sends out your contacts or text messages to marketing 'baddies'.
You suggest this as a what-if for Maemo, when it is a "case in point" for Windows. Happens daily. The answer is that -you- should know who you are getting applications from and whether or not to trust your sources.

Most people download and install stuff like crazy and wonder why their systems are slow. They also don't install security patches and leave their systems perpetually connected directly to the internet, and suffer exploits. Users are the cause of, and solution to, all of their computing problems (since beer has little positive effect on printed circuit boards!)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Correct me if i'm making mistakes in my thinking process.

I was thinking about the N900, and that i am not buying it yet, and that is probably the reason i started to gather negative points about the device to relativate, which led me to a thing that i actually found interesting to see others, maybe more experienced developers or programmers, with a better perspective, comment on.

What if there was some evil developer to create a trojan, maybe covered by an application, that slowly uses your Data for spamming or what not.
Or even makes undercover calls? sends out your contacts or text messages to marketing 'baddies'.

edit: request: norton for maemo
the fact that it is open sauce will protect anyone to some degree -even criminals wanting a secure phone-the reaction to this situation could encourage spyware

The Following User Says Thank You to yukop4 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
As pointed out, if you install open source apps from the maemo.org extras repository, the risk of that happening is insignificantly small.

But of course it should go without saying that installing unverifiable apps from random websites is a bad idea.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
It depends on where you get your software. Certainly malware can be written for Maemo and the source code may seem clean but may not match the compiled code. On the other hand, legitimate sites check these things.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
2 words

community review
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brendan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by brendan View Post
2 words

community review
communist review vs community review

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
face in palm