Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
F*** portrait mode I want diagonal mode and the moon on a stick!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
F*** portrait mode I want diagonal mode and the moon on a stick!
ye i love landscape mode. lol

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by maemo900 View Post
The best phone Nokia has ever made, was the N95 8GB after that it went from bad to worse for Nokia. That company isn’t ready for touch screen phones or new OS devices such as the N900.

blah blah blah..

Don’t know why that surprised me. Doesn’t matter any more anyway I no longer have an N900.
Well I am missing my N900 an dcannot wait to get it back. Am using my old N95 8Gb and it feels like i am working in the dark ages. Please please Nokia fix my N900 quickly. ( I hate Nokia at the moment for their terrible customer repair service)

If you think the N95 is so great then go back to it and see how long before you are tearing your hair out.

However now you no longer have an N900 perhaps you can stop hanging about here submitting FUD posts

The Following User Says Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by maemo900 View Post
Each time I visit this site there are a load of people with problems with their N900.
Happy people doesn't write to blogs. People come to talk.maemo.org if they want to ask something (have a problem) or have something to share (the problem solution).

Originally Posted by w00t View Post
The only item out of that that was promised (as far as I'm aware, please feel free to correct me) was portrait mode *browsing*, which was provided, albeit not in a great form, and a bit overdue.

I imagine that the 1.2 update will be expanding on this functionality.

Either way, you, as a consumer, should have known better than to buy a device based on promises, if the functionality you are mentioning was *required* as far as you are concerned. The items you mentioned were covered by a lot of press before the launch.

I got this device before its official release date here in London UK. All the things I read about the N900 just seemed normal to me, I knew there were problems (like any phone really when it first launches) but was also blinded by the promises of new software updates.
I still do like the N900 I think it’s a great phone for what it does but I found it very unstable and not pushed to its limits.

The only game that played smoothly with no problems was AngryBirds. All other applications from OVI and the app manager on the device were very slow and times had to do a battery pull (many times while playing SuperTux)

iPhone and N900 both have ARM Cortex A8 600 MHz, PowerVR SGX graphics,
so why isn’t the N900 as stable as the iPhone?

Just would like to know since people here have the answer to everything!

Thank God we have another thread to rehash the same cow pies.

Really. Yay.
so why isn’t the N900 as stable as the iPhone?
Uh... maybe because the iPhone's OS has been through three major revisions in the past three years? Naw, can't be that.

Let's all try growing some brains. Concentrate REALLY HARD. You can do it. Think.... think....

Hell, the n900 is WAY more stable then my Windows Mobile 6.5 phone.

Here, let me ask you a question... Why didn't you buy a iPhone, if you want one?

I need to use my N95 8GB atm cause my N900 gets repaired.And I really need to say: The N900/Maemo is such a HUGE improvement compared to the N95/Symbian.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaRocks For This Useful Post:
Here is my take on this:

I loved my Nokia 3315, 6610, N73, N95 8GB and now N900.
First and foremost reason is that nokia phones are robust. I have washed my phones, dropped them, formatted them, installed all kinds of software, hacked them, they still work like a charm.
N95 8GB is no doubt one of the best phone nokia produced. Only thing I wanted to change was the slow data transfer rate.
PC suite has also great set of application which other phone manufacturer can only think of.

N900 is a new step in new direction. I never had any issue with mine. It works like a charm. I got full ROI when I watched movies in flights where inflight entertainment was charging 6$ for a movie. On My N900, the movie was normal DVDRIP, copy and paste. See if anyone can do that with iPhone. . . lol

I do not know why people want to make F16's or Sukhoi's out of their device. You can do only so much with your phone and there are a lot of things you can do with N900. (other than making it F16, it took me lot of time to understand that).

If anyone has special needs, there are places where request for feature or software can be made.
if your phone is giving issues, restore factory settings, uninstall / do not install anything from extra-devel.

here is about apple:
Apple is more profit oriented rather than consumer oriented. I know if I buy a apple device today, it will be outdated in 6 months with next version of same device. iPhone is for house wives, blonds, students, senior citizens, etc. if you are reading this, iPhone is not for you.
I started feeling this way when they released iPod shuffle with camera. next 6 months they will release same iPod with FM, then after 6 months with better camera and so on.

my n900 does so much and no every 6 months hardware upgrades.

[wow, this post looks like a blog]

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by pankajsays View Post
here is about apple:
Apple is more profit oriented rather than consumer oriented. I know if I buy a apple device today, it will be outdated in 6 months with next version of same device. iPhone is for house wives, blonds, students, senior citizens, etc. if you are reading this, iPhone is not for you.
I started feeling this way when they released iPod shuffle with camera. next 6 months they will release same iPod with FM, then after 6 months with better camera and so on.

my n900 does so much and no every 6 months hardware upgrades.
Unfortunately Apple's track record doing smartphones vs Nokia's tell a different tale. Apple have released 1 iPhone (hardware and software) update every year and their OS updates are installable even on their first generation hardware, which would be a 3 years old device this year.

I'm reading your post and unfortunately there are several features and capability of the iPhone that I've found more practical to use on a daily basis to relegate my N900 as a hobby/weekend device thus far. One of which is a proper IMAP client for multiple accounts.

If Apple sticks to their regular schedule, iPhone 4 will be out this June/July. Exactly 1 year after they've released the 3GS.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

For what it's worth, the iphone does what it does in a very controlled and reliable manner, i had one, but being a bit of a tweaker got bored of it quite quickly. I think this is what it's ultimately down to.If you like your phone to do its biz on a daily basis and expect no more of it and are not geeky then the "i" is for you. On the other hand, like me, you are a bit of a geek, like pushing boundaries, and generally enjoy playing about and tweaking then phones like the n900 are always going to appeal more. The reason all this variety exists is so that everyone can find summat that floats their boat.
And for what its worth, from my POV, the N900 is a tweakers delight, i have various app from all repo's installed, use it daily, and it never crashes or hangs, have never needed to remove the battery to solve a freeze, despite my constant playing and tweaking and so on. My only slight gripe is the battery life, but having said that, i probably use this phone far more than any other i've owned.
Great job nokia, just keep developing it, it deserves it.

The Following User Says Thank You to clivectmob For This Useful Post: