Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I have used a much smaller screen in the past without making as many typos.
I agree a screen size is a factor but does not seem like the main one.
Sorta can agree here actually. I'm now using an iPhone 7 and can promise you that autocorrect and general typing is far worse than my larger Nexus 6. However, it's lesser accurate than my smaller N9 as well. Typing "not" ends up being "nit" far too often, for instance on the iPhone.

Typing on the Jolla C though, the autocorrect is just... lacking. I swear some letters have extended hit spots when I'm reaching over with the wrong thumb (ex. using my left thumb to type the "u" in nut will result in "nyt" almost everytime).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Sorta can agree here actually. I'm now using an iPhone 7 and can promise you that autocorrect and general typing is far worse than my larger Nexus 6. However, it's lesser accurate than my smaller N9 as well. Typing "not" ends up being "nit" far too often, for instance on the iPhone.

Typing on the Jolla C though, the autocorrect is just... lacking. I swear some letters have extended hit spots when I'm reaching over with the wrong thumb (ex. using my left thumb to type the "u" in nut will result in "nyt" almost everytime).
I personally found auto correction is worse than not having it - especially when typing names/city names of a non-english speaking country. For example if I type Gerbick it will end up with Gerbril or something. I know I can save the word, But when it comes to some Chinese name or similar it's just a pain.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
I am going to attempt to run Ubuntu on my HP Pro Tablet 608 G1. I am creating an Ubuntu flash drive through RUFUS and I will disable secure boot next. Pictures soon to come.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:

I attempted to run Ubuntu on the HP Pro Tablet 608 G1, but I can't make it past the boot screen when I attempt to use the try Ubuntu without installing option.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Absolutely awesome that you tried.

Ubuntu has display issues.

I would send you a litecoin (LTC) for each distro you try
if you would be willing to try with a
Solydxk edition
and/or something like
Tails (Debian derivative runs from USB)
or
Kali (Debian Derivative)

All because I would like to try but such a unit is not available here...

Big Cheers and a heartfelt thanks for trying

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post

I attempted to run Ubuntu on the HP Pro Tablet 608 G1, but I can't make it past the boot screen when I attempt to use the try Ubuntu without installing option.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2016-10-15 at 12:06. Reason: Why

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Hi - been a while since I posted anything on talk.maemo.
It has been ages since I moved on from my beloved n900, but I come around to lurk and read about new developments every now and then.

In the meantime I have been on a Galaxy Note then a Note 4, but just lived with constant frustrations on them at not being able to do simple things.

I am fed up waiting for a decent successor to the n900, so now looking at "other means" of having something in my pocket that does what I want. It's time to take matters into my own hands, because phone/mobile device manufactures only seem to want to produce thin rectangles with no buttons. for some strange reason. It is quite sad actually to think what sort of device we might have if a proper evolution from the n900 had occurred.

So my phone contract has now ended and I am freeeee to explore other options again.
I would just like to cobble together some things I have been looking in to, as I am sure there will be a few people on there that want the same kind of things from a portable device. It seems that 46 pages of people talking about "the best Handheld gnu/linux machine for 2016" might just indicate an interest
Maybe at the end of this someone can jump in and tell me what I am looking for has already been done. On the other hand maybe I will give some people a few ideas as well.

Perhaps this even needs its own thread even??

So anyway, since no manufacturer STILL seems to make anything decent, I've started having a few ideas involving a raspberry pi or ultra-mini PC type thing, and connecting a screen, and battery to it, or even just "beaming" a pic to my phone. Meaning I'd have to keep that in one pocket, with my phone in another. That would be do-able I guess "if I had to". I am not specifically looking for Linux - Windows 10 would do (ok stop that - please put your pitchforks and flaming torches down). For me it's just about having the hardware and the choice to use what I want on it - with dual/multi booting into whatever I needed to use. I will list some of the devices I have found below. What I don't want to happen is to end up spending way more than a tablet of equivalent specs would cost. . Whether this idea is impossible, I don't know, but I did find a couple of new devices that have achieved some similar results.

While searching I came across the Gole 1 and also the GPD Win. These look like some really decent options -

You guys seem to know all about the GPD Win already, but I haven't come across the Gole 1 on here after searching. I might end up just giving in and getting this if nothing else turns up. I would prefer a slightly bigger screen (6 or 7 inches) and more battery life though...

You know about the Raspberry pi I guess, but this video shows making it into a portable device which would be kind of thing I want, but with more power. That guy has made a few different versions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L75YTcEetkw

Here is a video with some info about the Gole 1 (nice price, has screen alhough maybe a bit small, has a battery, but only lasts a coupel of hours) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsWVQwBCFHc

Indiegogo seems to have a few startup projects with things that may be suitable:
Hercules (very light and portable, but no screen, expensive, no in-build battery) https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/h...er-computers#/

Ockel Sirius (Very nice but very expensive)
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/o...le-design--2#/

MeeGOPad T08 - (nice and small, has good ram, no attached screen, some versions I think have a battery - but probably not long lasting) In case anyone doesn't know, this is like a SOC device with a HDMI sticking out of it, and some USB ports, that you plug into your TV. 4GB Ram and intel Atom cherry trail processor. I believe there are different versions of this with a small internal battery as well.

Getting a bit bigger again - I have found the Minix Z83-4 (maybe a bit big, and might be hard to supply enough power to it, but very nice apart from that). There are other things like this from Chinese manufacturers, such as Onda and Voyo, but I wont bombard this with any more, I am sure people get the idea by now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ1VlhrHeQA

There are also some other SOC boards, similar to the Raspberry pi but with a bit more power, that could be cobbled together with a screen and battery, which could be made into something really sweet. I am sure some people will have 3D printers to make some sweet cases for these setups as well, but I'd probably have to carve something out of wood, or use cellotape to wrap it all together lol
Making it look nice is less important to me than how it actually works obviously, but I imagine there are tons of options like cutting up a pencil case to put them into, or even styrofoam (nice and bouncy if it gets dropped ) etc.
Maybe we could have a while thread about building mini linux boxes with 7inch or 6 inch screens etc using these things?

Some of these I have come across are:
ODROID-XU4
Radxa Rock2
Orange pi plus 2
UDOO X86 (coming soon I believe)

So what do people think? No doubt there will be someone saying "been there- done that" and that'd be brilliant - could you provide any details of your setup, where you got the parts, and a how-to guide as well please?

On the other hand maybe this will open up a new line of thought/development etc? Or should I just give up and get a tablet?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kyllerbuzcut For This Useful Post:
One more device I forgot all about:
Akyumen Holofone & Falcon Tablet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3mGK52INOU

It's a 7 inch phone / phablet thing - that runs full windows 10, has 128GB storage, 4GB ram AND a projector - all packed into that 7inch diagonal thin rectangle.
This would probably be Win 10 only though I am guessing, without much scope for messing about on it & installing other things. Quite expensive I think too

I guess that one is more of a "Look at the kid of thing that COULD be done".
Chuck out the projector, add a sliding keyboard, and the insides of this gizmo seem very impressive. I also came across a thing called the Pico8 on Pocketchip which has a really thin clicky keyboard.

These things are doable- Manufacturers just don't seem to want our money.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kyllerbuzcut For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
I am fed up waiting for a decent successor to the n900, so now looking at "other means" of having something in my pocket that does what I want. It's time to take matters into my own hands, because phone/mobile device manufactures only seem to want to produce thin rectangles with no buttons....
...While searching I came across the Gole 1 and also the GPD Win. These look like some really decent options -
The Gole looks very interesting, they just need to be asked
if it is compatible with a linux distro (for those of us who care).

...There are also some other SOC boards, similar to the Raspberry pi but with a bit more power, that could be cobbled together with a screen and battery, which could be made into something really sweet. I am sure some people will have 3D printers to make some sweet cases for these setups as well, but I'd probably have to carve something out of wood, or use cellotape to wrap it all together lol
Making it look nice is less important to me than how it actually works obviously, but I imagine there are tons of options like cutting up a pencil case to put them into, or even styrofoam (nice and bouncy if it gets dropped ) etc.
Maybe we could have a while thread about building mini linux boxes with 7inch or 6 inch screens etc using these things? ...
These are entirely possible,
but the devil is in the amount of time spent in tinkering something together. There is so much hit-and-miss discovery-time lost there...
...Or should I just give up and get a tablet?
I am finally seeing this as the only realistic option left:
A linux tablet fed internet from an android serving internet.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
Absolutely awesome that you tried.

Ubuntu has display issues.

I would send you a litecoin (LTC) for each distro you try
if you would be willing to try with a
Solydxk edition
and/or something like
Tails (Debian derivative runs from USB)
or
Kali (Debian Derivative)

All because I would like to try but such a unit is not available here...

Big Cheers and a heartfelt thanks for trying
I will try all three.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
t might be worth trying a non-debian derived distro like fedora or arch in case the fault is inherited from the base.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy