Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Maybe it's just the eggnog slurring, but I'll ask anyway: After having been N800-less for more than a month, I've really started to re-appreciate the 770 form factor. Has anyone ever looked into the possibility of transplanting a N800's innards into a 770 case, or maybe even just swapping out the CPU and memory? It would seem like a total impossibility, but impossibler things have happened before. Right?

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, i would simply settle for a replacement screen...

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ queen creek , AZ
i say go for it i loved the design of the 770. i would love to see this.

The Following User Says Thank You to realcomix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Maybe it's just the eggnog slurring, but I'll ask anyway: After having been N800-less for more than a month, I've really started to re-appreciate the 770 form factor. Has anyone ever looked into the possibility of transplanting a N800's innards into a 770 case, or maybe even just swapping out the CPU and memory? It would seem like a total impossibility, but impossibler things have happened before. Right?
I think the only reasonable option would be to create a custom made mechanics. Which is not so impossible considering the increased popularity of repraps. However the size is such that an n800 engine won't fit in a 770 cover.

Fwiw i also preferred the sturdy look of the 770 and the n800 is he one i liked less.

If you're doing that much hacking, put it a Gumstix Overo Earth instead, and bump the specs to OMAP3 and 256MB of RAM. Though, a fair bit of software hacking would be likely be needed as well. Maemo has been ported to the BeagleBoard, which runs the same processor as the Gumstix, so that should be fairly easy.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Man... this could be done but - the cost would be incredible and at the end no one could tell how much of oryginal n800 left in case that it's just similar to n770.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
if only there was a gamepad case for the gumstix with the samsung lcd attached...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Custom mechanics were mentioned. These guys do small series of mechanical parts, even as few as one. Their CAD software is easy to use and gives instant estimate of cost:

http://www.emachineshop.com/

The downside is that the CAD software is for Windows only. If you're not willing to use their software or learn CAD and machining basics, they also offer an hourly-rate design service.

I almost got to use their service for a project at work. Sadly, the project got cancelled, so I cannot give any real-world recommendations. I just thought to mention this interesting service concept.

Featured projects from customers and staff:

http://www.emachineshop.com/machine-...y/page338.html

I second the emachineshop recommendation. I think you will find the cost for a one-off design to be overly expensive BUT the use of their CAD software really makes you think about machining. I have found the design software to be very useful in guiding my design decisions as you can evaluate what physical tools are needed for each detail item and evaluate one design decision vs another on the basis of the complexity (and therefore expense) of implementation.