Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
FYI, 0.0.3-1 or 0.0.3-2 with latest CSSU Stable are not working in silent for me.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by ade View Post
Perhaps someone without CSSU could test if mplayer is still producing sound using silent profile?
I'm running stock PR 1.3, and yeah, in "silent" profile Mplayer plays at full volume. (But yeah, Mplayer hasn't ever changed, so I'd guess CSSU is the variable here...)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Thanks for confirming this Copernicus.

Next to this unexpected change in behaviour, I was looking at some alternatives to have sound in silent mode. Two are not possible in Pyside/Qt, two other options I have to look at further. I might also ask a CSSU developer if he can explain why it stopped working.

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
While it's great to look for alternatives, it think that CSSU have something to explain here, especially considering this whole "religious compatibility" nonsense, that we have seen lately - definitely, latest update missed compatibility with any application, that wanted to make sound in silent profile.

Maybe the have good reasoning and point for it - for example, it's possible that formerly, pulseaudio "eaten" cpu cycles, despite being useless, so they have detached it in silent mode (wild guess, so don't quote me on that) - but, definitely, it should be announced and discussed, before. It's not small change.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The whole "sound in silent profile" has a somewhat 'hackish' past, as it was not properly thought of. Some applications just identify themselves as "FMRadio" to have sound in silent profile, fooling Maemo (works only in GTK apps afaik).

The QMediaplayer function from Qt still seems to work fine, but this never ported to PySide on Maemo 5 (it is ported to the Harmattan version). And I guess mafw is still doing fine in CSSU in silent mode

Interesting question is how mplayer implemented it. Version 1.0svn20091221-2 has changelog "* added patch for allowing playing in silent mode". I was not able to find the exact code used for that for now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
For those who have missed the changelogs since my last post here:
  • 0.0.3-3 Replaced clear textbutton in edit menu with clear symbol to save space
  • 0.0.3-4 Pressing corresponding counter on alarm will silence alarm sound
  • 0.0.3-5 Added option to set auto orientation or portrait/landscape lock
  • 0.0.3-6 replaced broken mplayer by internal gstreamer playbin2 procedure to make alarm in silent profile work again

Version 0.0.3-6 is just uploaded. It no longer uses mplayer in silent profile, because it looks like mplayer does not make sound anymore in silent profile in the later CSSU versions. With this latest change, the semi-dependency with mplayer is also gone.

Edit:
  • 0.0.3-7 force orientation mode to landscape when keyboard is slide open in forced portrait mode
  • 0.0.3-8 improved choice of orientation in menubar

Last edited by ade; 2012-10-12 at 19:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
@ade,
in my opinion, "Dish cooktimes" dialogue is not working properly from UI design standpoint - such long list of empty fields is not functional. Some people will use only 3, some 10 and another one 100. You can`t predict all of the usage scenarios, so numer of those fields shouldn`t be fixed: it should be for single user to decide. I didn`t follow discussion on that matter (if there was any), maybe current design is a result of some fremantle constraints, but here are my propositions:

1. "Add" button can be static element, always in this position or be on the scrollable list with dish entries at its bottom, clicking "Add" will always add new dish field at the bottom of the list, after some number of fields created (i.e. 5), list becomes scrollable.

2. More plain approach, start with 3 fields, clicking "Add" will always add new dish field at the bottom, after some number of fields created (i.e. 5), list becomes scrollable.

In both options, text fields (dish names) could be wider, because You don`t need place on the right of the screen for scrollbar; shrink them, only when list becomes scrollable (i.e. 5 fields) and scrollbar is needed.

Last edited by artpra; 2012-10-25 at 09:59.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to artpra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by artpra View Post
@ade,
in my opinion, "Dish cooktimes" dialogue is not working properly from UI design standpoint - such long list of empty fields is not functional. Some people will use only 3, some 10 and another one 100. You can`t predict all of the usage scenarios, so numer of those fields shouldn`t be fixed: it should be for single user to decide. I didn`t follow discussion on that matter (if there was any), maybe current design is a result of some fremantle constraints, but here are my propositions:

1. "Add" button can be static element, always in this position or be on the scrollable list with dish entries at its bottom, clicking "Add" will always add new dish field at the bottom of the list, after some number of fields created (i.e. 5), list becomes scrollable.

2. More plain approach, start with 3 fields, clicking "Add" will always add new dish field at the bottom, after some number of fields created (i.e. 5), list becomes scrollable.

In both options, text fields (dish names) could be wider, because You don`t need place on the right of the screen for scrollbar; shrink them, only when list becomes scrollable (i.e. 5 fields) and scrollbar is needed.
The scrollbar itself is very small (must be on such a small screen), so the space gain on that is very limited. But you do have a point that it is a bit useless to show the whole list if it is largely empty.

I added a "add" button next to the save button (see screenshots in the first post), so the list is expanded with a new line, on demand. The scrollbar will only show itself when needed (default behaviour).

The limit of 50 items is gone with this as well. I don't know how far you can push it regarding adding items, but you will find out for yourself . The physical size of the edit popup window is and will stay static, regardless the amount of items in the list.

Version 0.0.3-10 is finding it's way to extras-devel now...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
That`s why I like to test Your apps and report problems or submit suggestions - it`s a pleasure to do so with such cooperative, open and passionate dev like You.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to artpra For This Useful Post:
A new version is available in the extras-devel. Now you can select your own (wav) alarmfile.

I know I said it once before, but this time I really think it has all reasonable features I can think of. Hope it can be promoted to extras-testing after a while...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:

Tags
cooktimer, nokia n900