Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Maemo 6 alpha SDK in q1 2010, beta in Q2 2010. Happy Waiting! ;-)
This is what EVERY marketing people tells me if a new device is released :-)

Why no one promise that N900 is able to run Maemo 6 and without limitations?
Q2 2010 isn't a year away. You don't start developing the new hardware Q1 2010 if a beta is expected Q2 2010. Please don't tell me this fairy tale. You MUST know NOW if N900 runs Maemo 6 - or not. And take the european price sticker for the blinded one.

Last edited by slha89; 2009-10-13 at 18:28.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
le sigh...

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by slha89 View Post
This is what EVERY marketing people tells me if a new device is released :-)

Why no one promise that N900 is able to run Maemo 6 and without limitations?
Q2 2010 isn't a year away. You don't start developing the new hardware Q1 2010 if a beta is expected Q2 2010. Please don't tell me this fairy tale. You MUST know NOW if N900 runs Maemo 6 - or not. And take the european price sticker for the blinded one.
That's for the software, not the hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
exhalationi di exasperationi

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
That's for the software, not the hardware.
The hardware will be developed after software release?
Sorry, but Nokia knows what successor comes next year and knows now if N900 is capable to run Maemo 6.
This is a selling point if Nokia say N900 runs Maemo 6. This is a lie if they say it but it doesn't run Maemo 6. This isn't a lie if they say they don't know and don't run Maemo 6 if Maemo 6 is released.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
They needed some image to pad the page out with, so they used some stock of the back of an older device - it looks a bit like the WiMax N810 to me too.
Ah yes. It is.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I really don't understand your problem here. The N900 is a nice gadget phone that runs a nice open OS. Either you buy it for what it is, or you wait. Why are you demanding some kind of ridiculous statement from Nokia?

If you do a very little bit of homework here, you can see that the Maemo6-era device will have a multi-touch capable screen and the same resolution and processor family (omap3) as the N900. N900 doesn't have multitouch capability, so it will not work fully with Maemo6. Is that what you were looking for? In addition, the earliest such a device could become available is the last quarter of next year.

So, the choice is up to you; you buy it or you don't--there's no point in coming here and demanding that Nokia promises you anti-obsolescence.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Before I buy the N900, I wish Apple would tell me when they will bring out the iTablet and excatly what features it will have.

I am sure Apple know what features it will have and when it will be ready - so I want to to come out and tell me NOW.
Come-on Apple if you dont tell me now that you are bringing out an iTablet then you are lying ... rants on...

Riddaculous ..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
So we know the Maemo6 device will have the same screen and OMAP3.

My prediction: the N900 will be able to run Maemo6 and the new device will be much like the N900 but with capacitive screen, and maybe more memory. Maybe without keyboard.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Releasing the Maemo 6 SDK doesn't mean that the device that goes with it is around the corner. The Maemo 5 SDK was first released in Alpha on 2009-03-02 and in Beta on 2009-04-28.

Given what Nokia has done in the past:

Maemo 1 - N770 - November 2005
Maemo 2 - N770 - November 2006
Maemo 3 - N800 - January 2007
Maemo 4 - N810 - November 2007
Maemo 5 - N900 - November 2009

It would be logical to expect Maemo 6 on the N910 (?) no sooner than November 2010.

If you can wait that long it will probably be a better OS on a better device. Of course the same can be said for the Android or Apple phones that we will see next November.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post: