Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
If you needed another reason to look beyond Maemo 5 to its successor, Maemo 6, set to be released in around twelve months time, then how about multitouch and gesture-based input? Nokia have confirmed that Qt 4.6 will be optimized for Maemo 6 but also see a port to the upcoming Symbian 4, as well as bringing with it improvements to the WebKit browser and a reduction in the need for widgets....
Source: Slashgear

So does this mean there is no hope for N900 to get official Maemo 6 running ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Eaaasy. You could have gestures even on Diablo's Qt 4.5, it's just that there was never enough interest to warrant the backporting (=volunteers welcome mode).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
great..now what lol..i either buy the N900..or buy a dumb cheap phone and live with it for 1,2yrs...hm...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
great..now what lol..i either buy the N900..or buy a dumb cheap phone and live with it for 1,2yrs...hm...
Buy what's out and available now, don't bank on future rumors.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Eaaasy. You could have gestures even on Diablo's Qt 4.5, it's just that there was never enough interest to warrant the backporting (=volunteers welcome mode).
Does this mean a resistive touch screen can support multitouch?

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by peterjb31 View Post
This is exactly what I'm afraid of. At mobile-review there is a talk about Eldar talking something about N900's screen having a "surprise" with it but I just can't bring myself to believe it is "stantum technology" or something multitouch related.

I think the developer of liqbase was experimenting with multitouch on a resistive screen.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
These are completely unrelated things. Qt, as a framework, certainly WILL support multitouch gestures. Whether it can do that on a particular device, depends on the hardware in question. SOME resistive touchscreens can have SOME multitouch functionality.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Buy what's out and available now, don't bank on future rumors.
you probably are right..i mean, if this were true that it will bring only multi-touch, QT 4.6 and an updated UI, i don't think it is worth waiting for 1,2yrs. Atleast not for me. Plus, multi-touch can work even on a resistive display in a way too if you program the app that way. And quite frankly, when i played with my friends iphone, the only time i really used multi-touch was on the web (zooming in). And in games? Is it really that necessary? I will be more happy if the N900 has better portrait support rather then supporting real multi-touch. If i had a N*** tablet already, i perhaps would wait for that long, but since i don't, i guess i won't. So, thanks for clearing up my mind, although i will wait for next month's Maemo Summit to know for sure. Right now i just hope they polish things (fw) before the N900 hits stores.

P.S. The "surprise" that guy is talking about. Has anyone thought about 3d?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by iKneaDough View Post
I think the developer of liqbase was experimenting with multitouch on a resistive screen.
Unfortunately that's (hardware-wise) the same "fake" multi-touch as presented by Kaj Grönholm in July. While Kaj uses three fixed points to achieve multi-touch (which works quite reliable, it seems), liqbase's "Multi-touch demo" allows two points and can detect movement of the second point if the first point is not moved (and it seems it's not very accurate due to different pressures for each touch).

This is achieved by the fact that two or more touches (assuming same pressure for all touch points) on a resistive screen result in the center point of all touches to be seen as the one single point. You can try this yourself with the "Sketch" application and two/three fingers on your tablet.

Edit: See a video of liqbase's "fake" Multi-touch.

Last edited by thp; 2009-09-09 at 14:42.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:

Tags
future, gestures, harmattan, maemo, maemo 6, multitouch, qt framework, speculation