Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
...but it is an interesting widget-based ad-supported system subsidized by carriers.
Is this what we are all doing here?

I truly hope someone from Maemo addresses this allegation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
I'm never sure what to make of these kinds of "leaks".

Even if it was genuine, it doesn't really tell you anything about Harmattan because it's basically just a multi-screen calendar application. It would be like having just the tyres of a new car model: important components but not exactly saying much about the car as a whole.

If it is real, I'm going to guess this is an in-house mockup and not really a screenshot.

It looks very nice, and I like the idea of moving around the application the same way you'd move around a website.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Looks interesting.... I am not liking the Q4 2010 release date mentioned. Did anyone happen to see the carrier "Adverts" that the writeup mentioned?

edit:
Ouch, I really need sleep... For some reason I read this as refering to the NEXT tablet , not the next plus 1.

Last edited by Snoshrk; 2009-05-19 at 02:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Is this what we are all doing here?

I truly hope someone from Maemo addresses this allegation.
I really wouldn't read too much into that, it looks like it's just a concept screen and most leaked Nokia concept stuff never makes it off the drawing board. (For example a few years ago there was a huge spate of leaks of a "Nokia Neo" device with no keypad or touchscreen, just a circular dial, but it was never actually released. And there must have been two or three leaked "N96"s which bore no resemblance to any released phones.)

On top of that, Q4 2010 is such a long way away that no one could possibly make a decision on such a project right now anyway.

Also, the people writing the article aren't exactly researching things properly - they refer to "Symbian S40 and S60"... S40 isn't Symbian and anyone serious about phone OSes should know that. It would be like writing an article about desktop OSes and talking about Microsoft Linux.

EDIT: Just to give a further example of being cautious about taking leaks too seriously, I once got a scoop by obtaining a genuine internal Nokia document which contained all their plans for the new N-Gage platform. A lot of the stuff in the document simply never happened, it was stuff that was planned and some of it even announced at some point but never actually carried through.

Closer to home, the Nokia 7700 was supposed to be their first touchscreen device and that too never actually went into production despite prototypes being sent to reviewers.

I'm not saying anything about this leak is wrong, I've got no idea whether it's correct or not. I'm just saying that all leaks have to be taken with a very very large pinch of salt as it's impossible to be certain which concepts and products actually make it into the shops.

Last edited by krisse; 2009-05-19 at 03:07.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the most i can get from it is that someone at nokia is playing around with extending the screen area virtually...

Originally Posted by tso View Post
the most i can get from it is that someone at nokia is playing around with extending the screen area virtually...
...if you took it to an extreme by assuming an always-on connection, you could even have the interface made up entirely of web pages. :-)

I don't think that's the case here, obviously, but web-based content is starting to creep into mobile apps here and there already.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Wow guys... So critical...

I just wanted to say:

LOOKS SO COOL!!!!

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Silence from both peter@maemomarketing and Ragnar, proves that this in fact is remotely true..... or is it not?

Last edited by sachin007; 2009-05-19 at 07:19. Reason: mistake

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
...if you took it to an extreme by assuming an always-on connection, you could even have the interface made up entirely of web pages. :-)

I don't think that's the case here, obviously, but web-based content is starting to creep into mobile apps here and there already.
... we can only hopy this creepy fashion will be gone again soon.