diaspora: jolla@joindiaspora.com (it's a diaspora ID, not an e-mail).
https://joindiaspora.com/u/jolla

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
what is diaspora...?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
what is diaspora...?
If you're tech-guy: quite interesting open-source non-centered social network ( seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_%28social_network%29 ).

If you're "normal": another unknown and not popular facebook copy for geeks

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
HtheB: open source decentralized social network, with focus on privacy. All these aspects are completely lacking in "popular" networks like Facebook (they are closed / corporate controlled, centralized and exploit users' private data). Diaspora is not a copy, and is very different from Facebook architecturally. It's not for technical people only. Privacy and trust issues are very relevant to any "normal" user, especially these days.

See:
https://diasporafoundation.org
https://wiki.diasporafoundation.org/FAQ_for_Users
https://wiki.diasporafoundation.org/...od_maintainers

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-09-10 at 14:40.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
what is diaspora...?
Facebook for people smart enough to steer clear of Facebook.

Good to see Jolla there. It actually might finally convince me to put some effort in running my own Diaspora pod

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Problem with diaspora is client API still unstable it seems. But hopefully it progress forward.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I am all for the concept of Diaspora, but they have a major failing in that they cannot insulate the architecture from the user.

An average user will just want to sign up, instead they must make decisions about which pod to use, and before that they have to even figure out what pods are, which is on a technical level beyond what anyone should have to research & comprehend to just join a social program.

I hate to say it's still geek-only, but it is. It will remain so until they can simplify signup to just going to a webpage, entering an ID & choosing a password like everyone expects to do. They need to work on that first, & Farmville clones second.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
An average user will just want to sign up, instead they must make decisions about which pod to use, and before that they have to even figure out what pods are, which is on a technical level beyond what anyone should have to research & comprehend to just join a social program..
Doesn't sound convincing. E-mail disproves that. User easily chooses where to register for e-mail service and doesn't find this concept novel at all - e-mail is a well known federated technology which everyone knows these days, not only geeks at all. And, oh horror, the user might need to realize what an e-mail server is in the process of signing up for the service Here it's the same concept but applied to a social network.

Centralized/walled services brainwashing is the way of Whatsapp and other swindlers who exploit simple laziness of registering. It's nothing to do with inability to grasp the decentralization concept by common users.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-09-11 at 15:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
e-mail is a well known federated technology which everyone knows these days, not only geeks at all.
You don't have many non-geek friends asking you to set up their email for them, do you?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Centralized/walled services brainwashing is the way of Whatsapp and other swindlers who exploit simple laziness of registering. It's nothing to do with inability to grasp the decentralization concept by common users.
You can state that till you're blue in the face but I haven't figured out anything to do with diaspora* other than . . . well, actually I can't think of an example. I think I'm a geek, but I'm not the target audience. And I certainly can't think of anyone I might know using it. Sure, the social networking providers like facebook, etc., are essentially selling the customers, but "laziness" isn't the term to use for users. it's just a common geek pejorative to describe the "normals" who just want to do something online, not actually build the internet. There is nothing wrong with that desire. I have a car, I don't want to build a car. Blaming the user for "laziness" is just an excuse for the unpopularity of a technology or whatever that's not usable for any but the hardcore geek.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post: