Notices

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Okay ... It's been mentioned several dozen times that we want Kismet. I'm no developer or else I'd attempt a cross compiler myself. Here's a good place to start:

I've heard that the -51 firmware does support monitor mode/RFMON/promiscuous mode but have been unable to confirm that through any third party postings. If it IS in there, isn't a maemo port just a few hours away?

Have you tried "installing" the ARM binary that they provide? Just tar zxf the .ipk file and untar the resulting data.tar.gz file into / or /var/lib/install and see if you can run the binary. I've never used kismet, but I've been curious about it since I found out that gpsdrive works with it (although this combo appears to require mysql?).

Last edited by gnuite; 2006-02-08 at 21:52.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
gpsd works with it for tracking locations but I don't know if maemo gpsdrive will. That'd be NEAT though... to have it draw dots with hotspot labels

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by thoughtfix
Okay ... It's been mentioned several dozen times that we want Kismet. I'm no developer or else I'd attempt a cross compiler myself. Here's a good place to start:
THe ARM binaries should be far enough.
By the way why do you need Kismet ? A simple script using iwlist scan is enough.

db

Originally Posted by thoughtfix
Monitor mode should work fine with 51-* firmwares, at least tcpdump -X output looks ok...

Originally Posted by Gourmet
By the way why do you need Kismet ? A simple script using iwlist scan is enough.
Monitor mode gives you the whole, raw frames (in particular beacons and probe response) which allows for building a much more complete network map than what a simple scan would give.

I've actually talked with Mike Kershaw (the developer of Kismet) about Kismet on the Nokia the moment I got mine. Infact when I was at Shmoocon with him I let him actaully see a Nokia for the first time and brought it up again. I think he said that the Texas Instruments OMAP wireless component does not support RFMON (very well anyways) properly to do Kismet. However he did then mention that until he has one to play with he can't be 100% sure.

Too bad we didnt know about the developer program, otherwise he would have one right now.

I will see if I can get him to come to this thread tomorrow to post some sort of official stance on the possibility of Kismet on the Texas Instruments OMAP platform.

Or atleast get a direct quote out of him.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by Samuel
Monitor mode gives you the whole, raw frames (in particular beacons and probe response) which allows for building a much more complete network map than what a simple scan would give.
Ok, I understand that Kismet, Wellenreiter and so on are more interesting on a analysis point of view. For example, they are able to see association frames coming from STA while the ESSID is hidden: interesting for finding hidden AP. They are also able to display STA in infrastructure mode not only APs.
But these softwares are more commonly called Analysers not mappers even if you can use them as it (the more can do the less).
If you want to do a map (with informations like ESSID, RxLvl, S/N level, type of protection, AP's MAC address, GPS coordinates, that's not insignificant) you can do it right know without needing to port a Kismet or a WellenReiter.
It's like the difference between a Ethereal or tcpdump and a ntop.

db

Last edited by Gourmet; 2006-02-09 at 10:04. Reason: Some things to add

Originally Posted by skynetos
I think he said that the Texas Instruments OMAP wireless component does not support RFMON (very well anyways) properly to do Kismet. However he did then mention that until he has one to play with he can't be 100% sure.
OMAP doesn't have any wireless module. TI has some of course, but they're not part of any OMAP.
The wireless chip running on the 770 is Conexant's CX3110x, and it now supports monitor mode.

Ah, when I was looking at the TI OMAP board it said it had on board 802.11g. Mike knew that the TI stuff was no good for Kismet so thats how we came to that conclusion.

Well then, I will let him know!