Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Sometimes on a page, like in the browser, the onscreen keyboard pops up, fills up half of the screen and I cannot get it out of the way. Clicking on the web page is not easy: most of the page may be covered with hyperlinks.

Swiping the browser to Home, and entering the page again may help, or it may not. Haven't found the trick yet. The N9 Swype could be swiped to the side, and a normal keyboard could be swiped away to the bottom.

Example: http://www.anwb.nl/verkeer?regio=utrecht

Originally Posted by rob_kouw View Post
Thank you for this driver! At least I can see a Connected Sailfish with an IP Address in System Preferences / Network. But I cannot get a connection yet. Does anyone know?

On the Jolla I enabled Developer mode and Remote connection. I tried with and without Password. The MacBook Pro, OSX 10.8.5 cannot make a connection. Though USB:

MacBook:~ rob$ ssh 169.254.41.91
ssh: connect to host 169.254.41.91 port 22: Connection refused

Through WiFi there is a different response:
rob@192.168.254.38's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
Ok this seems to be user error.

I have no clue where you got that ip from, but that is a generic ip (like windows used to hand out) Most likely because it is trying to get an ip by dhcp from the phone. (Which will come in an update).

So first you need to set the ip on the usb interface of your pc/laptop. By default it is set to 192.168.2.15 on the device so anything like 192.168.2.1 for example will do.

Then you have to log in as user nemo (also for wifi)

so #ssh nemo@192.168.2.15

The password you need to set yourself or get generated randomly in the developer mode settings.

Last edited by Philippe; 2013-12-18 at 22:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Philippe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Fonts: The font used for icon titles is horrible and spindly, it looks like crap. Really, crap. Thicken up the strokes, please.
One rather suspects that the font might have been selected when they were anticipating a genuine HD display, before settling on the qHD we actually got.

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I can see the Jolla in MTP, but cannot access it with its IP address through ssg like I do over WiFI. This is most likely due to the fact that Windows 8.1 does not seem to provide drivers for USB tethering. .
Ok first of all you need to select developer mode to get USB networking.

See my previous post for the details.

Two: USB tethering is a feature that is coming soon. Which is sharing your phones internet connection with the pc. Not the same as being able to access your phone over USB network.

three: Windows 8.1 has rndis drivers by default

The Following User Says Thank You to Philippe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
6. I see no pulley menu to change ambiences from the lockscreen, thought it was there in the videos;
It's not a pulley menu now, it's a push gesture on the lock or home screen. Push in from the left OR the right to see your Ambience options, although you won't see anything until you've "favourited" at least one Ambience image in the Gallery app.

Personally, I think this is a total waste of the "push" gesture on the lock/home screen which could surely be used for something more useful (another page of multi-tasking apps, perhaps?). It's not as if you're going to change Ambience every 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by andreas1 View Post
true, below 10% jolla begins to slow down, freeze a bit or something.
Probably one of the optimisations they referred to in the Finnish article - maybe on low batt the CPU is incorrectly underclocked to a ridiculous level, possibly this worked fine with the ST-E silicon but not so good with Qualcomm...

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Merged the vcf files into one file. Sent it to the Jolla, no joy. In Excel I threw out all the lines I mistrusted, leaving plain and simple vcf cards with 1 phone number and 1 e-mail address. Pasted those into a new file, sent it to the Jolla by bluetooth and it worked! There may be an easier way, but I did it!
I had a similar experience. Couldn't import a single large vcf containing about 166 contacts (with avatars etc.), but could import 26 separate files if I joined all the a*.vcf >a.vcf, b*.vcf > b.vcf etc. Importing the 26 small vcf files went like clockwork. No idea why the large file wouldn't import considering it contained exactly the same data. My method for transferring the vcf files was to email them to myself and open the email attachment on the Jolla.

I've now sent my large vcf file to w00t so hopefully Jolla can work out what the problem is and fix it because it's rather frustrating.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2013-12-18 at 22:59.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
as always non developers or geeks who has plenty of freetime do think its a "piece of cake" and something done in 30 minutes.... In reality it takes days... Days that sometimes should be used for more important fixes/improvements....
I AM a developer. It's not freaking rocket science, Mike. I didn't use that term lightly, but it's not likely to be the most onerous of changes.

Sometimes on a page, like in the browser, the onscreen keyboard pops up, fills up half of the screen and I cannot get it out of the way. Clicking on the web page is not easy: most of the page may be covered with hyperlinks.
Not specific to the browser problem but yes, I really wish there was a button on the keyboard that allowed you to dismiss the keyboard rather than force you to hunt around for somewhere "safe" to tap on the screen and hopefully get rid of the keyboard.

Also, I've noticed in the browser that the keyboard will quite often cover up the field into which you are trying to enter text (eg. email address, username or password) . The virtual keyboard integration with the Gecko browser still has a way to go.

Anyone know why Jolla decided on the Gecko browser, and not continue with Webkit? Is it for Firefox OS compatibility?

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
Ok first of all you need to select developer mode to get USB networking.

See my previous post for the details.

Two: USB tethering is a feature that is coming soon. Which is sharing your phones internet connection with the pc. Not the same as being able to access your phone over USB network.

three: Windows 8.1 has rndis drivers by default
1. Yes I did try in Developper mode (USB mode).

2. I know this is something different, but I was advised to search with this term on the Internet because if you can tether, then you can conect to the device through IP, and there might be more results.

3. Good news!

It's not a pulley menu now, it's a push gesture on the lock or home screen. Push in from the left OR the right to see your Ambience options, although you won't see anything until you've "favourited" at least one Ambience image in the Gallery app.

Personally, I think this is a total waste of the "push" gesture on the lock/home screen which could surely be used for something more useful (another page of multi-tasking apps, perhaps?). It's not as if you're going to change Ambience every 5 minutes.
Totally agree, see one of my posts above.

I had a similar experience. Couldn't import a single large vcf containing about 166 contacts (with avatars etc.), but could import 26 separate files if I joined all the a*.vcf >a.vcf, b*.vcf > b.vcf etc. Importing the 26 small vcf files went like clockwork. No idea why the large file wouldn't import considering it contained exactly the same data. My method for transferring the vcf files was to email them to myself and open the email attachment on the Jolla.

I've now sent my large vcf file to w00t so hopefully Jolla can work out what the problem is and fix it because it's rather frustrating.
Just in case, I've given the link of your post to the Jolla employee that helped me, just in case he wants to share the temporary workaround he found for me (it was on IRC, can't find the logs easily).

But perhaps he will prefer to remain silent until a proper fix is found.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2013-12-18 at 23:18.