Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I have submitted an idea for using the N800 as a portable language translator, using text to speech with the camera and OCR module playing its part. I don't think the N800 has enough processing power to do fully natural speech recognition.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Well... I may be able to enter after April 13...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I hope not.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
How about a video blog app. Something that lets you post what the webcam is viewing in real time.
An N800 could be used as a temporary video/audio security cam, ad hoc baby monitor, record and post ambush interviews or statements made by public figures... yadda, yadda, yadda.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
what's so special about april 13th?

as far as I see it, you don't even need to be an N800 owner to enter; merely have a good idea that's feasible with an off-the-shelf N800.

How about a good PIM...clearly Nokia doesn't believe the N800 can ever do it.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
- voice activation
- voice activation tied to apps like mapper via exposed API
- short range FM transmitter like the griffen technology iTrip
- a motion video/still image capture app
- video capture quality to take advantage of the great screen on the device
- WTF, a geiger counter
- something that can scan for any kind of transmission... like gene hackman used in "enemy of the state" to scan his safe house for bugs
- a PIM that can connect to my RAZR via bluetooth and see my contacts, and copy them back and forth.
- bluetooth headset support
- a Physician's Desk Reference on SD card
- biometeric tracking and analysis... something akin to nike+ipod
- bluetooth control to connect to a cell phone, phonetically "read" the contacts, and work as a hands free device for the phone (using voice activation above to make the call and short range fm transmitter above to broadcast over car stereo)
- the means to connect the device to my telescope (Meade telescope via bluetooth or usb/serial) and control its movements or the stars it tracks. can also use GPS to get location
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Last edited by brendan; 2007-02-23 at 14:33.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
- A barcode scanner (using the camera), coupled with a shopping list.
- A freehand scanner (again, using the camera) that lets you scan documents by sweeping the camera over them (would require some nifty auto-stitching software, but hey! if Geiger counters are allowed...)
- A life recorder (as in that Engadget article), using camera, microphone and maybe a BT GPS. Would really require 1TB SD cards, but we can start with what we have already. That freehand document scanner would come in handily here as well.
- A PIM. Obviously... (and don't ask me what I want in a PIM; just make one and I'll tell you if it's a good one)
- An app that records from the FM radio for later playback.
- Decent video drivers (I want to be able to watch 800x480 video at 25fps! I paid for the blasted screen, dammit!!!!) , but I'm half serious.
- A filter on ITT to keep all those whiners about PIMs and video drivers off the forums.

a widget that keeps "PIM" off my screen. need a "personal information manager"? if you have that much "personal information" get a secretary

an app to stream video from slingbox type devices

a drum machine program you can tap on with your fingers

sonar, using the mic and speakers

bit bash some sdio

a wsod emulator

a fricken lazer beam

damn, its hard to think of things that havent been done or are obvious..

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
what's so special about april 13th?
I'll be eligible to enter. :/